Big Lots Reviews | Glassdoor

Big Lots Reviews

Updated February 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Can be challenging to find good part time talent (in 46 reviews)

• Hard to find consistent work life balance (in 20 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Unemployed in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Unemployed in Greenville, SC

I worked at Big Lots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great job they didn't care if you were late

Cons

No lunch breaks, only work 3 hours a day added on extra work with no extra time

Advice to Management

no comment

2. "Fine place, bad pay"

I have been working at Big Lots full-time

Pros

Laid back environment on sales floor

Cons

Asks employees ( especially stock associates) for to much considering the employees get paid so little.

3. "not the worst, but not good either"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

some flexibility in scheduling for non-managers and doing a variety of things--never a dull moment..always something to do. pay for the are was decent for management

Cons

corporate sucked..once the new ceo took over things like holiday hours changed and got extended at the last second--such as Christmas Eve--with one day notice...manager schedules, esp. for certain positions sucked with closing late and opening early..the particular district manager we had was an absolute no-help..very power trippy person who played favorites and this carried down to the store level where promotions happened if your were friends with someone, even if you showed up to work drunk. I could name various violations that went on and othing was done about them. Despite the happy little videos ceo and corporate put it all they cared about was the bottom line and didn't care about the employees having any semblance of a personal life to get any normal sleeping/eating pattern..you got youur schedule literlly one day before the next work week started because the company is so disorganized with their trucking schedule..sometimes p/t employees were sent home after getting up in the very early a.m. because the trucks didnt show up when they were supposed to...the staff of part-time employees was a constant shuffle because the pay sucked and too often the ones who showed up late or didnt bother showing up were kept on staff because they supposedly couldn't find anyone better, while the managers would get blamed for this...i would NOT recommend this place as there are others who would treat the employees better ..I get the retail environment isnt the best, but you can definitely do better than what Big Lots has turned into. if you dont like having to be pushy about furniture sales, don't bother either, as this company has turned sharply that direction too. morale was VERY low at this particular store. I'm very happy to have found something where they actually care about the people and not just the bottom line.

5. "Cashier"

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

Its a very good job.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say.

6. "Miss the store, not the pay."

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

I really liked the people I got to work with, it's a very easygoing place to work. the ease in changing the schedule is ideal for someone that goes to school or has another job.

Cons

The company cares too much about getting product on the floor and not enough on how the store looks. It's very messy most of the time, they let it get so bad it's almost impossible to clean unless you overhaul every aisle. Also, I got promoted from within, the pay is not enough to do the work that is needed.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing and let the employees clean so they can fit more product out. the store has a reputation for being a ghetto store that's easy to steal from.

7. "Minimal staff with lots to do"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always busy, good benefits, employee discount

Cons

Lots of freight that doesn't make sense, more and more tasks with fewer hours to complete.

Advice to Management

Decent job, but be prepared for extra hours as you are fill in for staff in all areas.

"About what you'd expect"

I worked at Big Lots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with decent people, and the actual work wasn't that bad usually. Also they had a high turnover due to no-shows, so as long as you showed up and actually did something, your managers liked you. Flexible schedule. Would be a decent high school job. I would have been offered a management position had I not been in college.

Cons

The largest issues I had with big lots was the disconnect between the store employees, and the administrative management (HR's, executives, what you think of as office people). There seem to have been major budget cuts before I showed up and I could tell. The average schedule consisted of two five or six hour shifts a week. Often we were given unrealistic expectations from above (unloading a full semi truck in half an hour with 5 people), there were often too few people scheduled for busy weekend sales, and the pay is barely above minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate what you expect out of your workers. Especially with as little pay, as few hours, and as few people working at a time.

9. "Assistant manager"

I worked at Big Lots full-time

Pros

Benefit package with multiple options

Cons

Work life balance non existent

10. "Associate Team Lead at Big Lots"

I have been working at Big Lots full-time

Pros

You get to work with enjoyable people

Cons

Lots of Micro managing.

11. "Love it!! Coworkers and management are awesome!!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Roseburg, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Roseburg, OR

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The 20 percent employees get and a great team of management.

Cons

Not enough hours right now but management is working on it.

Showing 998 of 1,010 reviews