Big Lots Reviews | Glassdoor

1,103 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,103 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 20% discount and helpful knowledge to grow as a leader (in 99 reviews)

• Enjoy working for the store to receive great employee discount (in 91 reviews)

Cons

1. "A hard place to stomach if you have any kind of intelligence."

Current Employee - Asset Protection Officer in Tremont, PA
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Officer in Tremont, PA

I have been working at Big Lots full-time

Pros

Extremely good employee discount.

Working for a large company that has partnerships with companies like Ford and at&t so employees can get a discount.

Nice facilities for use in the warehouse.

Free uniforms.

Decent vacation and holiday time after a few months of employment.

Cons

The AP department is micro managed to the extreme, everything is scrutinized by three diffrent supervisors who all say different things. Absolutely no consistency. For example the same question if asked to all of the AP supervisors seperatly would likely be met with a different response by each one.

Supervisors for the most part are completely inept at any kind of practical security and in turn are either one extreme with things or the other. No one really seems to know what they are doing. There is constantly emphasis put on trivial things that do not matter rather than what we should really be doing.

All Officers are constantly under a great deal of scrutiny by management. Well the dislikes ones are. At times if the manager is in a bad mood and you are seen on camera doing something like sitting or they think you are not doing enough you could be called out and humiliated over the radio, even being talked about in third person for all to hear. Everything is scrutinized, and the cameras are constantly watched for a reason to call you out on something. Things can be very relaxed at times and then some days you are called out for every little thing by a manager who thinks all the officers need to carry themselves like secret service agents. The way the place and the department are run is a complete joke and so are the supervisors. All of your work will be scrutinized to the utmost degree, especially when it comes to injury reports and investigations. The bottom line is when it comes to the company potentially losing money they will do whatever they want to do. You will conduct an investigation on an injury and do the large amount of report writing that follows and after all that the supervisors will take your report and change it. Not only grammatical things but the context as well, and then on top of that they will leave your name on it and that's the way it stays. Almost everyone has a huge issue with this since it is such a commonplace practice of falsifying a potentially legal document and leaving the original officers name on it. Then when anything is brought up about it you will be talked and spun in circles by a line of bs that it's not even worthwhile arguing with them about. They are set in their ways and refuse to change for anything, and they do not like to be questioned either. So if you have any kind of integrity prepare to be thoroughly disturbed by the things that take place are you are expected to participate in to keep your job.

Benefits are very expensive and overpriced

There is no freedom on how to operate or conduct investigations. Everything you do will be monitored and some lazy supervisor who does nothing productive all day will stick their fingers in everything and tell you how to go about things.

Very low quality of people and supervisors which makes for a high turnover rate.

Very low pay for what you are expected to do. While the manager rakes in quadruple that.

Lazy supervisors, if there is an issue they will not come on or want to be bothered, and if they do end up coming in they will complain about it like it is not even their job. They will also turn off their phones so as not to be bothered if something does happen, then you could be reprimanded about the way things were handled when they were turning their phones off to avoid having to resolve an issue.

Supervisors keep secrets and lie to you about things that you should be able to know. It's like a clique of incompatant supervisors against all the frontline officers.

As I mentioned before there is absolutely no consistacy, rules will frequently change at the drop of a hat. New work will be instituted on top of all the things that you are already expected to do during the course of the day. More and more workload will be shoved upon the officers so that it gets impossible to get it all done when something happens, but yet you will always be expected to get it all done. Supervisors will frequently send you on pointless tasks and assignments that take to me away from what really needs to be done. You will be interrupted no matter what you are doing to run an errand for a lazy shift supervisor. The department is always short staffed and bad quality people are hardly reprimanded and are allowed to stay only making everyone else's job harder. Management has no concept of how much stress is put upon the officers and how hard it is to keep up. New rules new paper work new audits that are not even security or loss prevention related will come whenever management decides.

Hardly any overtime is given and in fact they will fight not to give it making it near impossible to live off of the already meager salary.

Yearly raises are given directly by the supervisors but are never enough. It is solely the supervisors decision on how much to give and they will nit pick non existent problems to screw you out of a decent raise. If you are not a favorite you will get nowhere.

Bad officers are allowed to slide by while the good ones suffer, you are not rewarded or even recognized for any good work done, even when it involves potentially saving the company hundreds to thousands of dollars. Everyone else is paid bonuses and extra money based on safety and production. In AP you will see none of that. The supervisors will though. While everyone in the building gets paid extra for power bonuses and assignments completed as well as taking on extra work you will be expected to do the same and go through extra training to operate a machine without any such pay raise. While management is making close to 70k you will be struggleing to survive with no hope of getting any further.

There is hardly NO and I mean no room for advancement. The positions have usually already been locked down and they don't hire from the inside. They want yes men for supervisors. The average officer sees what goes on and the last thing they want is someone who sees what is wrong with the way things are run and to come In and attempt to make changes. Not only that but it will be close to impossible if not actually impossible to get a job anywhere else in the building especially as a supervisor in another department when you were already AP.

People are constantly being hurt by preventable safety hazards and not only will your investigation and report be changed to suit whatever the company wants, you will be expected to participate in a system where management teaches to do everything in your power to make sure an injured employee does not recive workers comp. Wether that means falsifying reports and lying or not. Management thinks you are stupid and does not think twice about training officers to treat every associate as a liar.

The whole security system at the plant is flawed. Nothing is done right and most routine parts of the job are pointless, conducting bag checks and using a metal detector do not stop anything when it's all for show anyway. It's a big dramatic theater to give the impression of "security", they want one thing but will never back it up it's one extreme or the other and you never know which way to go with things. Then God forbid if you ruffle anyone's feathers doing what you were told then it was an issue. Even employees that steal or lie, nothing can be done because that's not what management really whats. They want a facade, not people who will actually enforce security.

Spiteful emails and bullitans are frequently sent to officers by management for the littlest of things. What it all comes down to is that when cooperate office repremands the manager it all rolls downhill and becomes something to make your life even harder. The manager gets figuratively spanked then New rules are instituted that contradict everything else that has been said. It is all a huge joke.

There are many many others and they can not all be fit in here. Until things are changed people need to beware about working here. Especially as far as injuries and the shady things going on right now with the process in which they are handled. Someone is going to seriously get burned soon and unfortunately it will most likely be the unsuspecting or naive officer. You need to watch your back and lookout for yourself because the company will always be the first to throw you under the bus when things go wrong.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people first of all. A higher pay or at least some bonus is required when you expect so much out of so few people. The company claims an open door policy but it has never felt that way. There are legitimate issues that need to be seriously addressed the whole system and management needs an overhaul as far as myself and most others are concerned. Start by making sure each shift is properly staffed if you are going to put such an immense workload on them. If the job is to be done right start actually hiring quality people and trying to retain the ones you have instead of lowering the standards just to get by. Going along with that, the bad apples need to be removed and consistacy is desperately needed across the board.more freedom is needed to conduct investigations properly and management needs to stop worrying about inconveniencing or upsetting associates and therefore letting that get in the way or actually performing our jobs. Another thing that NEEDS to be changed is injury reporting. As of right now if you refuse to do anything about it then the shift supervisors need to just handle the entire situation themselves instead of putting the officers out and in the line of fire like is being done currently. Injuries and insurence claims resulting from them are not a job and something very bad will happen one day. Lastly among many other things I could say is there needs to be way more recognition for the hard work that most officers do. There is such an amount of important things officers are tasked with for too little recognition and reward that it almost feels pointless to go above and beyond. Until some of these things are addressed people will continue to be extremely disgruntled as most are right now.

2. "Awesome team mentality!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you value working as a team, this is a great place to work! Generally, everyone is on the same page and wants to help each other meet all of the store goals.

Cons

The turnover rate could be high, making it difficult for those who are committed to making the store great.

3. "Asset Protection Supervisor"

Current Employee - Asset Protection Supervisor in Durant, OK
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Supervisor in Durant, OK

I have been working at Big Lots (Less than a year)

Pros

Bonuses, vacation time, paid holidays

Cons

could work nights, meetings, nothing

4. "Nothing That Good"

Current Employee - Stocker in Barre, VT
    Current Employee - Stocker in Barre, VT

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- 20% Discount. That's it.

Cons

- Fluctuating Schedules
    - Hard-Pressing Management
    - Selective Acknowledgement
    - Poor Building Upkeep
    - Little to No Respect
    - Last-Minute Changes and Rule Making
    - Dreamy Expectations
    - Sloppy Training

Advice to Management

If you'd like the best out of your employees and your stores. You may need to look at revising a few things that may make you stand out from the rest. Having management tell employees to "just do your best" is contradicted the moment they're lecturing you about the slightest thing wrong. That wrong being, something that happens out of your control and a failure to recognize one's honest attempts at trying to be their best at their job description.

I've worked at several other retail chains. This is the only company that I know of, that enforces a policy with stockers. Where, you have to put everything out and regardless if the aisles are packed. Extra stock storing does not exist with this company and that is quite ridiculous. Every other retail company I've worked with, had this for a reason and it's when they're overstuffed.

Also, the training. Good god is the training horrible. You're planted on a chair and you have to go through screens of things that may not pertain to your job description. I'm strictly a stocker and yet I had to sit through nearly up to two hours of content that focused primarily on cashiers. Why not have different training courses for different positions. If someone wants to stock, give them a stocking crash course. If they want to be a cashier, give them the cashier crash course. If they want to be both, give them both.

Because I can tell you, almost nobody pays attention to the posters and pictures on the wall of tips since we're too busy to simply stand and stare at them. As well as have a peek into binder books where information that should be in those training courses are.

Management should learn to acknowledge every step of progress and performance of every employee. I've got told by my manager that I don't talk to customers enough and that my score for customers I encounter has been the same for weeks and months. When, there is almost little to nobody who even witnesses me helping a customer. I remember helping and talking to customers as recent as today. Nobody stood up and gave me recognition for that. Instead, I got lectured for it under the impression that I didn't!

Last but not least and this is directly about my job description. If you absolutely, positively and truly care about getting things done on time. You would be working around the clock to make sure that a healthy team shows up to unload a truck and to stock freight. You cannot expect a skeleton crew of three people to unload a near one thousand and seven hundred piece truck in two and a half hours. Then get upset about it when the quotas are not met. Don't sit there and expect a bare bones crew to do everything in a timely manner - hire some more people!

5. "Store team leader is just braided everyday about numbers, if you hitting them or not."

Current Employee - Store Team Leader in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Store Team Leader in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not bad pay but not much else. They do not give recognition and are consistently raising the bar. If you deliver then they raise it higher till you can't hit it...

Cons

No work life balance and nothing you do is ever good enough. It's just a email beat down everyday even if you are meeting company goals.

Advice to Management

Be more employe friendly and give more praise when they are succeeding.

6. "Furniture"

Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales Associate in Allen, TX

I worked at Big Lots part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly pay fun busy

Cons

Mgmnt low hours low pay

Advice to Management

Need to be people oriented and realistic expectations

7. "assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits many stores good employees good merchandise good work environment food both frozen and non frozen

Cons

long hours sometimes too many stores closing

8. "Cheap Pay, Great Management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Webster Groves, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Webster Groves, MO

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

I was hired for Holiday seasonal, than began a permanent part time Sales Associate/Cashier. At my Missouri location, The environment was welcoming, the other Associates​ were soo friendly ,genuine and helpful (The girl family I've dreamed for!) And all my managers (1 female, 3 males) were Amazing ! They nonchalant about a lot of things and very understanding! So, Having those 3 Aspects if "Good Management, Friendly Staff, and Warm Atomsphere" made coming to work enjoyable.

Cons

Low pay-Unfortunately, since I'd only had ~6mo experience working in Retail, they didn't want to pay me what I requested hourly. However, it also didn't make sense to me that I was getting paid less than what I started out making my first retail job (Over $9). I wanted to leave after training, but the pros out weighted the cons in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Don't scheduled someone to work the Cashier for more than 6 hrs, standing on a thinly padded mat, It's torture!

9. "General view of things."

Current Employee - Furniture Department Lead in Union City, TN
    Current Employee - Furniture Department Lead in Union City, TN

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health plans, 401k with matching funds, 20% off purchases.

Cons

Some people can cause some major problems before they can be removed.

Advice to Management

Keep your eyes open for able staff and don't be afraid to get rid of the problem employees asap.

10. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Store Discounts, some Benefits, potential bonuses each quarter.

Cons

Awfully rude customers who are uneducated or treat you as if you were uneducated. Irrational productivity expectations for stocking.

Advice to Management

Be hands on. Before making restrictions on your employees try doing the work yourself first to see if it is even possible. 1 minute per box can happen depending on the contents within, not all boxes are the same.

Showing 1,103 of 1,116 reviews