Big Lots Reviews | Glassdoor

1,115 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,115 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 20% discount and helpful knowledge to grow as a leader (in 100 reviews)

• Enjoy working for the store to receive great employee discount (in 91 reviews)

Cons

1. "enjoyable starter job"

Current Employee - Floor Associate
    Current Employee - Floor Associate

I have been working at Big Lots part-time

Pros

pretty simple work
    laid back management

Cons

low pay
    very little training provided

"Atrocious. They provide so little but ask for so much"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay pretty well given the size of the stores, they have decent benefits, and they do treat you fairly and with respect. They have a great discount also. They have a lot of good ideas

Cons

For all the good ideas and programs they have, they have no way to implement any of them because this company expects management to do it all while telling them they are not to work, just supervise. That's a great theory but there is no payroll to do all the tasks. We are told to walk the store, make notes on what needs fixed, etc. which is what a manager should be doing, but who is there to make the corrections? There is no help in the stores, and what we do get is mostly undesirable employees because Big Lots offers so little, all the good ones realize they can get more money/benefits elsewhere. Thus, management is the only people in the building with the skills to do the jobs, but our hands are tied with countless conference calls, meetings, etc. which all just waste time. It's all plan, plan, plan, but there is never any time to take action due to the countless meaningless tasks they ask of us. Big Lots has lost sight of what really matters which is sales, instead focusing on all these little measurements of every detail. Management is so tied up in micro managing and measuring all the details we have no time to drive sales. It's complete ineptitude all the way around, and it's based on an unrealistic view of what 9.00 per hour employees are capable of doing and what anyone could do on half the hours needed to do what is expected. They also preach advancement opportunity but the keep skipping over qualified store "leaders" (we aren't managers anymore) for people outside the company to run districts and regions. It's a shame, because this was once a good place to work. It's even worse if you have any ability at all, because you can't use your skills here. You are told what to do and how to do it, and I and most of the managers I know are too smart to be told how to run a store by someone who couldn't do it themselves.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics. All these little programs and measurements do nothing but add meaningless work and take our time away from what really matters, the customers! Get real on the expectations, if you want it to look perfect that's fine but provide us what we need to get there. You get what you pay for.

3. "Stock clerk"

Former Employee - Manager in Geneva, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Geneva, NY

I worked at Big Lots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kept busy stocking and working as a cashier in furniture

Cons

Management started calling my phone during none work hours in the middle of the next, sent me text messages, wouldnt leave me alone

Advice to Management

upgrade and update the Managment team

4. "Not a great place to work if you need steady hours"

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

You get 20% off all merchandise every day. You get 30% off two or three times per year. This is helpful if you regularly buy food staples, pet food or cleaning supplies. Helps to lower the monthly household bill. They work around the days that you need off.

Cons

Store managers can be cranky because they don't really like their jobs. No positive reinforcement or feedback. For a salary that is just barely above minimum wage, they expect you to do multiple tasks at the same time. You never know how many hours you will have from week to week. One week you may only get four hours and the next week you may be scheduled for 28. There is no rhyme or reason to this. Not a job for someone that needs to make a steady, reliable salary. The store is open and has extended hours every holiday except Christmas day so expect to work on holidays.

Advice to Management

I understand that retail is not the same as it was a few years ago, but you shouldn't take your frustrations out on the people that work for you. A positive comment, a smile, or a caring gesture can go a long way towards making an employee work harder for you as opposed to just going through the motions because they don't feel appreciated. Let employees know when the hours will be cut (after the holidays) and when they can expect them to increase and by how much.

5. "Decent"

I have been working at Big Lots full-time

Pros

Discount 20% is the only good thing

Cons

Holidays are only christmas and only 8 hours of paid time off

6. "Ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Big Lots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was one manager that was very understanding that I was a college student and my time for work was limited. She also appreciated my willingness to work, learn new tasks, and take on responsibilities.

Cons

The rest of the management staff saw that willingness to work as an opportunity to take advantage of me and make me do work that they were suppose to be in charge of. The also complained when I would tell them in advance that I had a big project or exam coming up, so I would be working less hours.

Advice to Management

If Pam is still working at the Greensboro branch, she is an amazing manager. The rest of management staff need to learn from her.

7. "Cashier"

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

Liked who I worked with

Cons

Management was not helpful. They would not work with other job schedule.

Advice to Management

Be a little more helpful when it comes to your employees, not just customers. Without good employees you have nothing.

8. "Minimum wage"

I have been working at Big Lots part-time

Pros

Great staff good work environment

Cons

minimal hours given maybe only 3 hours week

"So far, so good now that I have figured out what I am doing"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Northampton, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Northampton, MA

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get an employee discount as soon as you start working, friendly coworkers, small store. Cashiers do more than just stand at the register so if there ever is a chance you don't have any customers, there's always something else for you to do to help out. It's never boring.

Cons

Hardly any training. You get the usual spill clean up, sexual harassment, etc videos on a computer but as far as learning their registers and how the store works, you have to just figure that out as you go along. There's always someone around to help you but it's such a pain to have to call someone over a walkie talkie and wait to ask them to teach you something all the time when it all could have been gone over in a day or two. It really takes a toll on your confidence on the job and it looks bad to the customers.
    It's also a little difficult to get through everything you're supposed to with each customer when you have a huge rush of people. There's a lot you have to say to every person and it is very time-consuming. There's only one cashier on at a time and customers and management get upset whether you say all you are required to say or whether you just get them out as quickly as possible. You can't win. It's also not very efficient to have to call someone over to help with a rush of people who is supposed to be doing another job such as stocking to help cashier, which happens a lot since more and more business is coming in.
    Having to answer phone calls when you're taking care of a rush of customers is the worst as well, especially since no one ever calls for questions that have to do with the cashiering aspect of the store so you always have to find someone to answer it for you anwyays. People get put on hold a lot.

Advice to Management

Some quick training videos for the specific job someone is going to be doing such as cashiering would be a big help to new employees. Maybe have more cashiers on at certain times as well. The system for calling the Big Lots stores needs to be tweaked a little.

10. "CSR/Stocker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Iberia, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Iberia, LA

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

Most of the managers were very friendly with me, but disciplined everyone fairly when needed. I remember I had just started there as a stocker and the furniture manager got very upset with someone on my team and threatened to fire the stock team to find people "who will do their job correctly." and he saw me getting very emotional when I got scared about losing the job that I had only been at for 2 weeks. He pulled me to the side a little while later and reassured me that although he was talking to us as a team that I was safe because he knew who the actual problem was. He helped me with car problems, got me food when my pay checks had no extra after bills, etc. The "team leaders" can be very supportive and helpful. It is also very easy to get on with the company.

Cons

If you are not a manager, there is no room to move up what so ever. You are also strictly part time. Getting over 20 hours a week was a miracle.
    Unfortunately, not all managers are supportive, not even if you have known that manager most of your life. This particular one thought I was slacking too much and significantly DECREASED my hours to less than 10 hours a week, knowing I had bills to pay as well as a young child. He never pulled me to the side to tell me that I needed to pick up my speed, it was just a huge slap in the face and I eventually lost my apartment due to inadequate pay. I then asked another manager to switch me to mainly cashier and give me more shifts and was granted as such. (The manager who screwed me over no longer works for the company!👍)
    Also, there are ZERO benefits unless you are a manager. All you get is a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees. Be like Manager #1 and address the problem before taking action like manager #2 who didn't have a single care. Be more supportive. Most of you have it, but some of you..... No.

Showing 1,115 of 1,128 reviews