Big Lots Reviews | Glassdoor

1,119 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,119 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 20% discount and helpful knowledge to grow as a leader (in 100 reviews)

• Enjoy working for the store to receive great employee discount (in 91 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

Liked who I worked with

Cons

Management was not helpful. They would not work with other job schedule.

Advice to Management

Be a little more helpful when it comes to your employees, not just customers. Without good employees you have nothing.

2. "Minimum wage"

I have been working at Big Lots part-time

Pros

Great staff good work environment

Cons

minimal hours given maybe only 3 hours week

"So far, so good now that I have figured out what I am doing"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Northampton, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Northampton, MA

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get an employee discount as soon as you start working, friendly coworkers, small store. Cashiers do more than just stand at the register so if there ever is a chance you don't have any customers, there's always something else for you to do to help out. It's never boring.

Cons

Hardly any training. You get the usual spill clean up, sexual harassment, etc videos on a computer but as far as learning their registers and how the store works, you have to just figure that out as you go along. There's always someone around to help you but it's such a pain to have to call someone over a walkie talkie and wait to ask them to teach you something all the time when it all could have been gone over in a day or two. It really takes a toll on your confidence on the job and it looks bad to the customers.
    It's also a little difficult to get through everything you're supposed to with each customer when you have a huge rush of people. There's a lot you have to say to every person and it is very time-consuming. There's only one cashier on at a time and customers and management get upset whether you say all you are required to say or whether you just get them out as quickly as possible. You can't win. It's also not very efficient to have to call someone over to help with a rush of people who is supposed to be doing another job such as stocking to help cashier, which happens a lot since more and more business is coming in.
    Having to answer phone calls when you're taking care of a rush of customers is the worst as well, especially since no one ever calls for questions that have to do with the cashiering aspect of the store so you always have to find someone to answer it for you anwyays. People get put on hold a lot.

Advice to Management

Some quick training videos for the specific job someone is going to be doing such as cashiering would be a big help to new employees. Maybe have more cashiers on at certain times as well. The system for calling the Big Lots stores needs to be tweaked a little.

4. "CSR/Stocker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Iberia, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Iberia, LA

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

Most of the managers were very friendly with me, but disciplined everyone fairly when needed. I remember I had just started there as a stocker and the furniture manager got very upset with someone on my team and threatened to fire the stock team to find people "who will do their job correctly." and he saw me getting very emotional when I got scared about losing the job that I had only been at for 2 weeks. He pulled me to the side a little while later and reassured me that although he was talking to us as a team that I was safe because he knew who the actual problem was. He helped me with car problems, got me food when my pay checks had no extra after bills, etc. The "team leaders" can be very supportive and helpful. It is also very easy to get on with the company.

Cons

If you are not a manager, there is no room to move up what so ever. You are also strictly part time. Getting over 20 hours a week was a miracle.
    Unfortunately, not all managers are supportive, not even if you have known that manager most of your life. This particular one thought I was slacking too much and significantly DECREASED my hours to less than 10 hours a week, knowing I had bills to pay as well as a young child. He never pulled me to the side to tell me that I needed to pick up my speed, it was just a huge slap in the face and I eventually lost my apartment due to inadequate pay. I then asked another manager to switch me to mainly cashier and give me more shifts and was granted as such. (The manager who screwed me over no longer works for the company!👍)
    Also, there are ZERO benefits unless you are a manager. All you get is a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees. Be like Manager #1 and address the problem before taking action like manager #2 who didn't have a single care. Be more supportive. Most of you have it, but some of you..... No.

5. "...."

Current Employee - Cashier in Harvey, LA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Harvey, LA

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are nice n work together

Cons

Better pay for work done

6. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Furniture Sales Lead in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Furniture Sales Lead in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Bonus every quarter
    * Paid holidays are double time for FT
    * Pay is great

Cons

* Part timers are not allowed to go over 30

7. "Misery."

Current Employee - Fsl in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Fsl in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm grateful I have a job. Can bonus if in management quartley.

Cons

No team effort. Store manager doesn't lift a finger to help out in anyway.

Advice to Management

Get off your lazy butt and help to get the stock room empty. The unprofessionalism of the store manager making rude comments about the employees to other store employees is very unprofessional . Stop.

8. "It's an okay place to work"

I have been working at Big Lots part-time

Pros

Good for a side job for making extra money

Cons

Not enough hours , pay rate not well

Advice to Management

store needs to be better on shrinkage

9. "Horrible"

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

Nice manager but that always depends

Cons

Terrible hours, average hours a week is 12-15 hours

10. "Bad Management Makes It Awful"

I worked at Big Lots part-time

Pros

Some of the people I worked with were cool.

Cons

Obvious favoritism, tons of trash talking from the store manager about customers and employees, never allowed a break, generally just a bad experience.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to what is going on in your stores!

Showing 1,119 of 1,132 reviews