Big Rock Sports Reviews | Glassdoor

Big Rock Sports Reviews

Updated 5 Jul 2019

Found 22 reviews

Big Rock Sports CEO Ed Small (no image)
Ed Small
  1. "Stocker"

Former Employee - Full Time in Parachute, CO

I worked at Big Rock Sports full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was very team and family based orientated.

Cons

little pay and hours were long

Advice to Management

bump up the pay or work less hours

Big Rock Sports2018-08-08
  2. "Need to work on the favoritism that need to work on their hours that they do and pay way too low for the work they ask"

Former Employee - Picker/Packer in Reno, NV

I worked at Big Rock Sports full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have no pros about this company

Cons

Favoritism don't believe you when you report an incident low wages

Advice to Management

There is no way to advance in this company

Big Rock Sports2019-07-05
  3. "no review for this place"

Former Employee - Picker Packer in Reno, NV

I worked at Big Rock Sports full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have no Pros for this place

Cons

I do not advise to work for this place

Advice to Management

treat employee with respect not favor

Big Rock Sports2019-06-18
  4. "order puller"

Order Puller

I worked at Big Rock Sports for more than 5 years

Pros

hours are not bad, good supervisor, steady work

Cons

busy in the summer months

Advice to Management

more flexible schedules would help more people out

Big Rock Sports2018-09-22
  5. "Paper placer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Rockingham, NC

I have been working at Big Rock Sports full-time for less than a year

Pros

The money is what keeps me there

Cons

Hard work doing poultry work

Big Rock Sports2018-05-15
  6. "Nothing but downhill!"

I have been working at Big Rock Sports for more than 5 years

Pros

Health insurance and 401k, discounts on products

Cons

Constantly firing staff and rearranging departments, "do more with less" as a company mantra, nearly unattainable bonus goals, incompetent upper management...I could go on for days. They expect all of their employees to work their butts off every day, yet told us today that we won't be getting raises this year. This comes months after our holiday celebrations being canceled and on the heels of two to three years of... constant firings in multiple departments. They feed us togetherness and positivity BS and pass out stupid gold coins for those who go "above and beyond", but they brush off any real issues we have. The sales department is constantly changing, we're not told about firings until after they happen, policies are implemented in a span of hours or days with no input from the departments it affects and then we spend weeks afterward trying to clean up the mess thats been dropped into our lap by corporate. No one in upper management has a clue how to do anything but pad their pockets while putting the pressure on the sales, finance, and warehouse teams to magically fill orders and conjure money to pay the bills (while reminding us that "it takes 10% of our budget per year just to keep the lights on!") as they sit in their leather chairs in offices far away and continue to ignore customer needs and screw the employees over.

Advice to Management

You've been firing people since 2015, you've taken our ability to purchase guns, you canceled Thanksgiving celebrations, you canceled Christmas celebrations, you've reworked our sales department and sales structure 5 times in 2 years, you've devised tactics behind the scenes to make our bonuses unattainable, you've changed our time clocks so that we're penalized for lateness and potentially fired for it, you refuse... to fill necessary vacant positions, you eliminate two warehouses totally, and now you want to take our raises while you work from your boat and your mcmansion and brag to god knows who about how successful of a company we are? You need to fix your priorities before this business goes bankrupt. Stop buying companies, stop starting offshoot companies, and stop investing your money in half baked initiatives until you pull your heads out of your butts and realize that you need to take care of the people who work on the ground level first. Your top heavy company will crumble if you continue to chip away at all of the layers underneath, and considering none of you know how to process applications, balance books, handle customer service tickets, or do any work that involves anything other than ordering the people around you to take care of your stuff, I'm sure thats not what you want and you will end up selling this place for dirt cheap or losing it to bankruptcy if you don't get it together. P.S. the customers hate you!

Big Rock Sports2018-05-08

"Big rock"

Current Employee - Bulk Picker in Hamlet, NC

I have been working at Big Rock Sports full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not hard job , easy job for first time workers. Good breaks and fair management

Cons

Pay is not much but it can get you by

Advice to Management

They do a good job just need more pay

Big Rock Sports2017-12-01
  8. "Warehouse associate"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Hamlet, NC

I worked at Big Rock Sports full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great management great benefits great experience

Cons

Point system occurance no cell phone and working Saturday

Advice to Management

Y’all do a good job

Big Rock Sports2017-11-12
  9. "Sporting Goods Distribution"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Sauk Rapids, MN

I worked at Big Rock Sports full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to work with all kinds of big Boy toys. Good benefit being able to buy products at a good discount.

Cons

They have changed their marketing approach about every 4-6 months for the last 3 years, continuously changing the roles that sales people face.

Advice to Management

Give customers the stability of the people that have called on them for years, not a new voice every 90 days.

Big Rock Sports2017-09-06
  10. "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Big Rock Sports full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount and a comfy office chair. That is about it.

Cons

Where do I begin? The interview went great and I had high hopes going forward but from the first day, it became clear what the company was about. It's apparent from the beginning that Big Rock has no idea how to on-board their new employees. If you're lucky enough to be placed in an office with someone who has been there for awhile, then you have some great training tools, but it is completely self taught. If... you're working remotely however, GOOD LUCK, you might as well be on another planet. Don't even get me started on the business practices. Spiffs are highlighted weekly but paid out maybe 25% of the time and that may be a bit generous. There is virtually no coaching or pumping up of their sales guys, merely a "sell this so you don't owe us money" approach, which starts wearing on you quickly. Their employees input (especially those with far superior product knowledge) fall on deaf ears due to the fact that these guys feel they are too important and experienced to take advice from such low level employees. They are constantly late to market on product releases and it shows in the pecking order of major distributors. Until the executive leadership is changed they will continue to fall to the bottom of the pack. They're lucky they have some great talent on their sales team, because otherwise they would've folded by now. Leaving that place was one of the best decisions I HAVE EVER MADE.

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales guys. If something isn't moving and they tell you why, don't snap back to them making excuses. Take those criticisms and use them to make the company better. Until then, you will just see the same cycle of failure that many of us became accustomed to.

Big Rock Sports2017-06-07