Big Y Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 17, 2019

3.1
Donald H. D'Amour

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Big Y has an amazing 401k plan, paid time off, and flexible scheduling" (in 26 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, good for students, lots of training" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management and district manager are clueless as to the amount of work required to run the department in this particular store" (in 18 reviews)

• "Part time employee turnover is high" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Service Clerk/Cashier"

I worked at Big Y Foods part-time

Pros

Great environment., great people .

Cons

Can be really busy at times.

2. "deli clerk"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at Big Y Foods part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a nice place to work

Cons

more work than your paid for sometimes

3. "Good first job"

I worked at Big Y Foods part-time

Pros

Choose when you want to be available. Can switch to other departments.

Cons

Constant management changes. Also willing to hire anyone, many of whom are bad employees.

4. "Steady side work"

Former Employee - Service Clerk in Ware, MA
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Ware, MA

I worked at Big Y Foods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room to grow in work.

Cons

Not an overall enjoyable place to work

5. "Garbage"

Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager

I have been working at Big Y Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Time off amount, but I was grandfathered in to the old amount. It is a lot less now.

Cons

Very low pay. They refuse to pay good help. They do not appreciate employees who have been loyal. Benefits get cut every year. Company makes more money every year but employees reap no benefits from it. The lousy 30 cent raise every year is pretty much negated by lowered 401k match or rising health insurance costs. It is almost like making less money each year. If you move up to management to make more money you sell your soul. 50+ hours a week easy. Help is constantly cut. You will barely have any employees to manage and you will be forced to do it all yourself. The company is soft and hold on to terrible employees because they are scared to terminate.

Advice to Management

Used to be a "family" company. Now it is just garbage. Ditch the yes men and get a clue. Also, promoting friends and suck ups wont help your business.

"Poorly Managed Department"

Former Employee - Front End in Plainville, CT
    Former Employee - Front End in Plainville, CT

I worked at Big Y Foods part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Start slightly above minimum wage.
    Can make friends. Met a lot of people I hung out with outside of work during the years I was there.
    Current Store/Night Managers are great.

Cons

Minimum wage catches up faster than your raises (25 cents a year), so starting above minimum wage doesn't matter. New employees coming in make more than you regardless of amount of years you've been there.

Incredibly unprofessional manager.

No union, and they actively (via training) stress how awful unions are. I guess depending on your experience with unions, this could be a positive since you aren't losing wages to the union. But you also don't have anyone looking out for you.

Pay does not match the expectations put on by manager.

Near zero positive recognition, near infinite opportunities to be criticized.

Manager prefers hiring employees not fit for higher level positions, rather than promoting from within.

Expect you to put your 4 hour minimum wage shifts above school.

Inconsistent scheduling leads to not being able to plan anything ahead of time. The only way you can get some level of consistency is changing your availability, which is a cardinal sin to the manager and she will play childish games like giving you 4.25 hours a week for a few weeks as "punishment".

Aren't allowed to be sick. After years of experience, I'm not even exaggerating. If you dare call out sick even once a year, you'll be sure to have the manager angry with you for at least a week. She even goes as far as to accuse you of lying, even if as I said, you call out sick maybe once a year.

Advice to Management

I would say demote/move the manager, but it's obvious politics are the only reason she's still where she is. Every single manager over the years I was there got moved to another store. From store director to night manager to HR to assistant managers to regular department managers. All but one.

On top of that, it's very clear she is no longer capable of doing her job. I don't exaggerate when I say it takes her over an hour to accomplish tasks that I've witnessed assistant managers accomplish in minutes.

I've also seen her posting game status updates on Facebook during times she was working and not on lunch. So it's pretty obvious the reason these tasks take her so long is because she sits hidden in a room playing Facebook games or doing other things. All the while chastising any employee who dares slack for even a second.

She purposely schedules other supervisors at the same time as herself (but they aren't scheduled as supervisors, merely baggers) so that way she doesn't have to actually do anything during those time periods. She'll sit in a room somewhere and whenever "all available baggers to the front end" is paged, she is the last one to show up, if she even shows up at all.

She behaves incredibly unprofessionally during any kind of employee performance review or write up. She makes things personal as opposed to giving constructive criticism.

This can be said for probably most places, but she heavily plays favorites. Employees unfit for promotion are promoted because she took a liking to them as soon as she hired them, only for those same employees to eventually stop showing up. So her favoritism affects her ability to make any good hiring/promotion decisions.

On top of that, she does not care about her employees. I was once verbally abused by a customer who wanted to fight me. The customer genuinely just didn't like the way I looked (I think they were drunk) and was saying things like "yeah bag my _____, ____" multiple times. There was no item that scanned wrong or anything store-wise that led the customer to act this way. Was just looking for a fight. She was behind this customer in line during this entire order and said nothing the entire time. I obviously couldn't say anything in response. I genuinely thought the customer was going to try to fight me despite being as polite as possible, and it was the only time I was concerned for my safety there. The fact that the manager stood right behind and said nothing tells you all you need to know about how much she cares for employees.

She also forgets how to do mundane things on the register, and forgets a lot of things in general. The funny thing is if you forget one of the many policies/procedures the store has, she will talk to you about it and avoid scheduling you as often because of a mistake. But she is allowed to make as many mistakes as possible, daily.

Some days she'll have "bad days". And that's fine, everyone is allowed bad days. Except she then takes this out on other employees, and will pick an employee to target. Usually it wasn't me, but sometimes it was. I once told her to have a good night and she brushed shoulders with me and completely ignored me. There was no doubt in my mind that she heard me because she looked at the cashier I was bagging for, addressed the cashier by name, and told the cashier to have a good night. Once again, incredibly unprofessional.

Finally, the store has a policy not to announce when it is closing. It's the only store I've seen that does this. This results in employees often having to stay late because the store is so worried about projecting an image of "rushing" a customer out of the store via a simple "we will be closing in 15 minutes" page. Corporate also constantly tries to come up with reasons to justify cutting hours, yet neglect to realize one of the biggest time savers would be making a closing page that would benefit both employee morale and save the company money, at MAYBE the 1% chance that a customer would take it wrong (despite the fact that it is the norm for stores to announce closing). Honestly at least if this wasn't a company that built itself upon the image that it cares for employees, I would be fine. But they will always put a random customer above their employees.

Upper level management may disagree with some of my opinions on the corporate philosophy, but please do look into the performance of this manager. It was a constantly talked about subject when I left: "When is she leaving? Every other manager got moved after 2-3 years. And she's done such an awful job". Her questionable ethics alone should be cause for concern.

7. "Very Little Support"

Former Employee - Head Cake Decorator
    Former Employee - Head Cake Decorator

I worked at Big Y Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very easy interview process, and easy to get hired.

Cons

Poor training. Zero planning. Unrealistic workload. No creative freedom. No motivation or incentive for employees.

8. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

Pros

The job is easy, for first jobers.

Cons

The environment is fast paced.

9. "Great experience"

I have been working at Big Y Foods part-time

Pros

Great work environment. Respects a college schedule.

Cons

Management at times can be annoying.

10. "I got in when I needed a job, but it wasn't the best type of work for minimum wage."

Former Employee - Frozen/Dairy Associate in Wilbraham, MA
    Former Employee - Frozen/Dairy Associate in Wilbraham, MA

I worked at Big Y Foods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get overtimes on Sunday and staff is very welcoming. They train well.

Cons

The challenges was not being fit for the job and the pay wasn't worth the work.

Advice to Management

More contact with employees when away from the job