BigMachines Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Recruiting Specialist"

Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at BigMachines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environement, great cutural beliefs

Cons

none at all, bigmachines is fun

Advice to Management

keep it up!

"Extreme amounts of work being done by a very small team"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Deerfield, IL

I worked at BigMachines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone that works there is incredibly smart and driven. You almost won't find a more talented team anywhere.

Cons

There is literally no work/life balance. Employees are "expected" to work up to 12 hours a day (8 in the office, another 4-5 once they get home). If you happen to be "on-call" that week, don't expect to get more than 2 hours of sleep a night.

Advice to Management

Hire more people so everyone else isn't getting burned out.

"Frat house environment"

Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at BigMachines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job to get since it's a small company, great for first job out of school if you cant get something better. Pretty lenient, and relaxed environment. Small company feel.

Cons

Low pay, no HR department to keep the place a sane place to work, large work load.

Advice to Management

Spend more time reviewing the ways you recruit and retain employees. Give more salary bonus and rewards based on some kind of structure. Pay for training.

"Good coworkers, positive environment, constantly-changing process."

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at BigMachines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are talented and friendly. The powers that be keep us on a pretty long leash; we get to work from home from time to time and make our own hours unless there's something that demands that we be there at a certain time. I know the value of enjoying the work I do and the environment I do it in and BigMachines provides me with good work in a good environment.

Cons

Processes change often, making month-to-month work and position in the company seem unsteady at best. Promotions and raises are talked about in vague language and middle management seems to not know the intentions of HR and upper management when it comes to corporate structure and methods for promoting their reports.

Advice to Management

Have clear processes in place for how people are to be promoted. If you determine that the current processes are inadequate; have new processes in place rather than stopping almost all promotions for months while you figure out how you're going to do things. Be transparent and forthright with middle management and let them be the same with their workers.

"Growing pains, inept management and 'corporatization' have drained so much good from the machine."

Former Employee - Sales in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Deerfield, IL

I worked at BigMachines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll work with smart people if you can pass the test.
    Friday lunches and beer.
    Good opportunity for a college grad to get their feet wet.

Cons

Vista Equity forced a square peg in a round hole with many of its strategic initiatives and employee measurement rankings, and brought a dark cloud over what used to be a great culture. They do not pay anywhere near industry averages, and try to milk all they can get from their employees, expecting you to give up your personal life just to meet expectations. Management doesn't know how to set accurate metrics to measure performance, so they are constantly changing as they flounder to figure it out (since most are brand new). While most people at BigMachines are great to work with there are a few that only hold the titles they have because they've been around too long. They will throw you under the bus, micro manage, speak condescendingly, spin things to avoid actually helping, and do what they can to make themselves look better at your expense - fortunately this does not apply to the majority.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees instead of placating them with fake promotions and fluff in your all hands meetings. Recognize and pay them for their efforts and contributions and perhaps you'll be able to keep the talent that seems to be flooding out the door.

"Great up and coming company to work at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at BigMachines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a LOT
    You are working with very intelligent people who know what they are doing and are always willing to help you out if you need it
    The culture is great, with a very open door policy

Cons

The company is up and coming and that means that there is always a lot of work to do and can lead to long hours
    The company is located in Deerfield,not Chicago. But it is right off the Metra line, so that's nice

Advice to Management

Acknowledge to talent that your people have and reward them for it with advancement in the company

"So sad to see what has evolved"

Former Employee - Manager in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Deerfield, IL

I worked at BigMachines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Don't know. It used to be great, and I would sing its praises whenever I could. Being an early employee, my career grew exponentially thanks to the opportunities I had at BigMachines. If you worked hard and proved yourself, the promotions and advancement were limitless. Unfortunately, I don't think it's the same place now as it was then.

Cons

I stumbled onto this site looking for something else, and happened to click on the BigMachines profile. Reading the employee reviews and how dissatisfied they are with the current state of BM just makes me happy that I left when I did (several years ago for reasons unrelated to dissatisfaction). I left when the old management regime was still there, and all were well respected, smart, and nice folks. The kind of people that you knew had your back if you needed it, and seemed to really care about employee happiness. It sounds like the new management that was brought in by the Board is just the opposite. That is a shame.

Advice to Management

I don't know most of you new people, but it really looks like you need to listen to your employees more.

8. "Fast paced, educational..."

I worked at BigMachines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong Cultural beliefs, values training, and fringe benefits like Friday lunches and Friday happy hours are nice as well.

Cons

Layers of new management.
    Compensation/Benefits need to increase since HQ is in Deerfield, IL, not Chicago downtown.

Advice to Management

Better, more open communication

9. "Good place to gain experience"

Current Employee - Engineer in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at BigMachines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, relaxed work environment, intellectually stimulating work, lots of perks (free lunches once a week, free beer on Fridays)

Cons

Pay is low for the industry, people who aren't "in" with the right people tend not to be noticed regardless of talent or work ethic

Advice to Management

More transparency, less favoritism. You talk to us all the time about how smart BigMachines employees are--treat us that way.

"Senior Implementation Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Engineer, Professional Services in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at BigMachines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young Environment. Good out of college job.

Cons

If only they had better salary...