Bigelow Aerospace Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
Robert Bigelow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free Cookies, Ice Cream & Coffee (in 11 reviews)

• It could be the free cookies and ice cream (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No direction, no training, no team work, no real products, no real customers, no respect, no vision, no career path, no job security, no good benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Vacation policy: you don't start accruing until 120 days (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working at Bigelow Aerospace because I can appreciate the benefits that come with a small company. Almost everybody knows each other by name. It also gives me the opportunity to tackle assignments and projects that have nothing to do with my primary job. This helps me learn new things, makes me more valuable to the company and perhaps gets us as a company and the vision of Mr. B one step closer to our goal. Company is doing amazing work, engineers, technicians are top notch. We have stuff in space now, how cool is that? We have stuff on the fricken International Space Station, how cool is that? Cool Holiday party with prizes, bowling league, halloween pumpkin carving contest, free lunch 3 days a week, 2 weeks off paid for the holidays, paid early out fridays. Steady work hours, 8-5 Mon-thur, 8-3 Fri.

Cons

I don't know of any except medical insurance is expensive. (Small companies normally see this) for the rest of the cons--Some people do have issues working here and if you have the wrong approach to working here you will too. This is a small company doing BIG things. If you don't perform well, if you fail to bring value by not being able to perform multiple positions then I would not blame the sole funds provider of this company to let you go. I am just being honest. I decided to write this review because of so many of the negative reviews from those previously employed. I hope you by reading this can tell that sour grapes don't make wine.

Advice to Management

On the right track. As we grow, we need to continue to grow the behind the scenes programs, i.e. record keeping, electronic tracking, routing, and doc storage. Thank you for showing appreciation for the team.

"No Issues, good place to work"

Current Employee - Technician in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Technician in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects
    Good work
    Solid direction
    38 hours paid for 40 ad no OT
    Off weekends
    Job security
    Lots of commeradery

Cons

More communication
    Better communication between departments
    Modernize
    Less paper usage
    Bad attitudes from some

Advice to Management

Clean the swamp. Bad attitudes will kill moral. If they want to be here stay. if not leave. Share the business outlook

"The True Low Down on Bigelow - Please Read"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The reason for all the employees to work there is the dream of the project. An expandable space habitat. That dream is the only reason anyone stays there and puts up with all the cons other than not having a job.
    There is a 4% 401k match which is decent and you can opt out of health insurance to get $130 extra per paycheck. 38 hour work week.
    As noted in other reviews, there are free cookies, ice cream, and coffee daily and subpar Mexican/Italian on Mondays, Port-O-Subs Wednesday, and greasy pizza on Friday. If you are listing free food as a main Pro, there is a fundamental problem.

Cons

Every other low rating review is correct. Read them!

Overall:
    The problem with the company is how the owner runs the company. He is not an engineer (he does real estate) and pretends to be one. Every single decision has to pass by him and since he isn’t an engineer, he isn't able to make sound decisions. Challenging him on these decisions means being excluded from meetings or ultimately fired. If you want to work there, you have to be a yes man to someone with very little knowledge of engineering and the industry. He did great in real estate, however, the space industry is completely different. He has no respect for engineers and considers them replaceable. That is just about the worst attitude possible for creating a space company where breadth of knowledge and experience is key (see statistics below). He trusts no one and is unable to focus on a single topic (never finishes a presentation presented to him), technology adverse (has no computer or smart phone, but still uses fax machines and yet wants to build a space habitat??), does not understand the word “requirements”, and will literally shout at employees for hours (causing them to actually cry!!!).
    Be prepared to be fired on a whim for no reason or fault of your own. He once fired the entire propulsion department (~10 engineers) which moved their families to NV from out of state only to deny them entrance on the first day. He fired the most senior engineer because he didn't like a necessary modification. The list goes on. There is no job security.

Policies:
    No paid vacation for the first year and you have to give 2 weeks’ notice prior to taking any time off (Leave Without Pay is still available). Salaried employees are treated like hourly employees in that you have to clock in at 8am (not 8:15 as you get docked pay) and must leave at 5pm (could be seen as a pro perhaps). One hour lunch! Don’t be late! There is no sick time so if you have an appointment, you have to take time off. There is basically no relocation package, it’s a pittance.

Culture:
    Fear and frustration. Fear of every decision you make as an engineer being your last if your view isn't the same as his. Because of his penchant for removing individuals with actual knowledge, most individuals are not seasoned space veterans. As such, everyone is doing their best to try to catch up, but it ends up being depressing when one looks objectively at the impossibly high amounts of work that needed to be completed “yesterday”.

Facilities:
    The safety department was dismantled (OSHA, are you reading this?). The company only acquired ISO compliance because NASA required it, but it is at a bare minimum.

Statistics:
    Median tenure overall: 2 years
    Median tenure for an engineer: 1 year
    There are some non-technical individuals (secretaries, assistants etc.) who have suffered him for over a decade.

Advice to Management

The only hope for success is if Mr. B sells the company to a real company like Boeing or ULA and they remove him from the picture completely. Since he never will sell , his passing is the only recourse to success.

"A Career Killer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The technical staff is top notch.

Cons

This job is incredibly volatile and unstable. It is not a good place to work. We were forced to sign an unenforceable 5 yr long NonCompete with no compensation. The vacation policy was changed midyear and stole hundreds of hours of vacation from employees at the company. People are fired at the whim of management when they refuse to compromise their engineering values by producing unsafe designs.

This is a deadend job that will waste your expertise.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your engineers like they are interchangeable blue collar works that can be replaced on a dime. If you want to get the B330 to space sometime in the next decade stop driving all your technical staff away through terrible management.

"Worst decision in my career"

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of top-notch Engineers available to work with

Cons

Just about every conceivable downside you can imagine. The owner is a billionaire child who will fire anybody and everybody at a whim because they don't give him what he wants. Pay is only equal the benefits are the worst vacation is a joke you may accrue it but you cannot use it. My advice is to find a better job this is a career killer and will get you nowhere. Save yourself the aggravation and stress.

Advice to Management

None, after years and years of hearing the same advice, they choose to do nothing.

"SPARE yourself"

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are very smart and good people (most)

Cons

Vacation was taken away from people like a bait and switch. Was told sign a non-compete (RIGHT NOW) or you are fired, no bonus attached and he uses the world globally which is not even legal but good luck with that. The CEO/Owner makes technical decisions with no engineering background, he uses his display shop as a starting point...because who needs requirements and systems engineering or mechincal/structural input?? When Engineers ethically tell him a design cannot be made a certain way because of things like safety and physics...he fires them, literally. He fires people on a whim with no recourse/action plan. The turnover is a revolving door. People move their whole families down to Vegas to be fired within a few months. The culture is toxic and people are mentally worn down on a regular basis. Safety is literally non existent, he got rid of the quality department too. He told congress we are launching in 2021...thats a lie. He says we have two B330s in final fabrication, thats a lie. I could go on and on but pretty much read the other reviews and they are all true accept the good ones that magically are all dated back to back as if that isn't obvious.

Advice to Management

Stop being a bunch of BETA yes men and have some morals in which you stand by, but you don't have a backbone so that is asking way too much.

"Sewing /Softgoods technician"

Former Employee - Sewing Technician Softgoods Assembly in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sewing Technician Softgoods Assembly in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Blows smoke up your butt really good. Making you feel valuable until they want to replace you with a younger, cuter, better butt kisser. I was a star in my department and was shocked & devastated when they let me go.

Cons

They don't want anyone to get ahead or shine in the Softgoods dept. We are just expected to be little people doing the most important work of this company with no recognition or "pats on the back" whatsoever. Very saddening.

Advice to Management

Management would never take advice that would boost the morale of the company. So... none.

"Massive potential which sadly will likely never be realized unless they are bought out."

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really Awesome, Intelligent Engineers, Techs and Support Personnel (the ones who stay). Free Cookies, Ice Cream & Coffee. Salary was good. There are some amazing projects to work on . Good work life balance.

Cons

Management Runs on Fear and Intimidation which comes down from the top!! Everyone walks on egg shells all the time, most don't have the balls to speak up (they like their paychecks). Some of the Managers will publicly humiliate you in front of your colleagues if something goes wrong. Although managers get blamed for Everything by Mr. B they NEVER take the blame for anything publicly. They will always find a scapegoat.

No matter how wrong something is or how right you are DON'T SPEAK UP. You will be marked and your days will be numbered. As long as you keep your head buried in the sand and don't speak the truth you will be fine.

They claim we should be grateful about getting fed 3 days per week but the food is terrible and management is too lazy to switch menus or companies and most people are scared to ask for fear of repercussions.

I have never worked for a company where certain secretaries and other low level pencil pushers wield so much power (for the record Most are great).

No matter how good you are... No Matter How important you are to the Mission... No Matter how long you have been a loyal subject if you speak up, if you speak the truth your days will be numbered.

Advice to Management

The only hope is for Bigelow to sell out to ULA, SpaceX, Blue Origin or Virgin Galactic and let that company wipe the slate clean of most upper management.

"Interesting place, but isn't for everyone"

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time

Pros

The pay was good and the opportunity seemed great. The perks are nice, catered food and various activities.

Its a very interesting place- this is more of a hobby for the CEO than an actual business.

Cons

Management threatens to fire.
    People seem to be hot and cold depending on the day.
    Benefits are TERRIBLE. Premiums on insurance are double through the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees about issues and there wouldn't be such a large turn over. One bad apple can cost a company quality individuals.

"Not worth the headache"

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coffee, Cookies, and Ice cream but only between 10 and 2.

Cons

To much Management!
    No real direction

Advice to Management

Less managers