Bigelow Aerospace Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Robert Bigelow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free cookies, ice cream and coffee (in 9 reviews)

• Free cookies and coffee if you like that sort of thing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The high turnover rate here is not achieved by firing only those who cannot perform (in 7 reviews)

• Job security is non-existent; Top Management does not hesitate to fire personnel on a moment's notice based on a rumor, whim, or bad feeling (in 5 reviews)

"Awesome projects!!!"

Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BEAM Program - working with an amazing group of Mechanical and System Engineers. Great group of very talented individuals. Great social events and gatherings.

Cons

If any, would be that the BEAM program came to an end but looking forward to the next challenge. Departments need to grow at a much faster pace.

Advice to Management

More open forum meetings and discussions.

2. "Interesting place, but isn't for everyone"

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time

Pros

The pay was good and the opportunity seemed great. The perks are nice, catered food and various activities.

Its a very interesting place- this is more of a hobby for the CEO than an actual business.

Cons

Management threatens to fire.
    People seem to be hot and cold depending on the day.
    Benefits are TERRIBLE. Premiums on insurance are double through the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees about issues and there wouldn't be such a large turn over. One bad apple can cost a company quality individuals.

"Stay Away, Work mistake ever."

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time

Pros

1. Living in Las Vegas can be interesting, there is the strip and quite a lot of other exploring all around. LA and OC are just a short drive away.
    2. The cost of living is fantastic and very reasonable for nice areas.
    3. Some of the employees are fantastic people.

Cons

2. The cost of living is fantastic and very reasonable for nice areas.
    3. Some of the employees are fantastic people.
    Cons
    So much to list, but here goes;
    1. Constant fear of being fired at any time, at any place.
    2. All stick and no carrot, managment says they should follow chain of command, but have no qualms about going around this.
    3. Managers are not leadership, nor do they have any engineering skills. Their expectation for finishing projects and their expected difficulity level have nothing to do with their reality.
    4. Owner is a Billionaire and has no understanding of space or space systems.
    5. Benefits have been degraded and are now very expensive and not quality. Pay is only compensatory.
    6. Engineering changes are made at a whim and have no bearing on what your are actually trying to do.
    7. Owner more interested in building models than actual space hardware.
    8. Security walks around fully armed, at all times.
    9. No extended hours working or anything else.
    10. High employeee turnover rate, about 1/2 have been there less than a year.

Advice to Management

None. They have made it abundantly clear, they don't care.

"Big Mission, Small Company"

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is engaging and you’ll have an ability to get involved in a breadth of areas. There’s a skilled workforce with unique backgrounds. Small company, so great work stands out. You work 38 hours per week, get paid for 40- no work on weekends (strict 8-5). Nine paid holidays, and a week or more off for Christmas depending where the days fall. The salaries are competitive for the industry. Three free catered lunches a week. Annual holiday parties- this past year the boss gave away $100,000 in cash, $80,000 the year before and two new cars the year before that. We also bowl once a week at a nearby bowling alley, over a quarter of the company participates in the league. Covered parking is nice, and the coffee and cookies are appreciated. The boss cares about his people, and that’s very evident. He’s been running and funding this company for over seventeen years, and continues to persevere through political changes and economic downfalls. That is dedication. I truly enjoy my job here, and I am privileged to be part of a team that is trying to accomplish something so big.

Cons

The company is funded out of the pocket of a single individual- needless to say the benefits aren't as nice as a large company or a government job. Projects are apt to change depending upon priorities of the company- you need to be flexible. Often times you're asked to wear more than one hat, which can be a pro or a con depending on your personality and level of ambition. As stated many times, the company is small, personality type and willingness to work are incredibly important to succeed in the company. The boss gets his hands dirty, and likes to get in the details. You’re constantly faced with challenges and obstacles to overcome that can put your capability and ambition to the test.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage communication throughout the entire company. Often times the vision from the top doesn't make it to everyone.

"Next Destinations"

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continuous challenges and the never ending flow of interesting projects. Proactive management that listens and reacts to suggestions. Management is quick to reward for hard work and honest efforts. Work life balance is key to the current culture at Bigelow Aerospace. Work 38 hours per week and paid for 40 plus no mandatory overtime. Off every weekend and out everyday by 5:00 PM. 401k plan is a very generous benefit for those who take advantage of it.

Cons

Project management is improving but needs more work. Mid level managers and supervisors need to speak up and be more involved in projects. Senior managers need to provide more opportunities for these individuals to succeed.

Advice to Management

Periodic benefit reviews to verify we are meeting or exceeding industry standards. More meetings about the direction of the company.

"The other story"

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Join the new era of space exploration. History in the making, cool projects that are challenging and rewarding. Mr. B is very generous with the holiday party and prizes. One of the most appreciated benefits is the week long holiday over Christmas and paid 2 hrs off on Fridays. He recently subsidized the bowling team for BA which has been a lot of fun and great company interaction. If you are diligent in your
    efforts and willing to diversify your talents you will be rewarded generously.

Cons

Poor vacation time and slightly below average Aerospace benefits

Advice to Management

Be competitive with benefits to help attract the human capital needed to meet our aggressive goals.

7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working at Bigelow Aerospace because I can appreciate the benefits that come with a small company. Almost everybody knows each other by name. It also gives me the opportunity to tackle assignments and projects that have nothing to do with my primary job. This helps me learn new things, makes me more valuable to the company and perhaps gets us as a company and the vision of Mr. B one step closer to our goal. Company is doing amazing work, engineers, technicians are top notch. We have stuff in space now, how cool is that? We have stuff on the fricken International Space Station, how cool is that? Cool Holiday party with prizes, bowling league, halloween pumpkin carving contest, free lunch 3 days a week, 2 weeks off paid for the holidays, paid early out fridays. Steady work hours, 8-5 Mon-thur, 8-3 Fri.

Cons

I don't know of any except medical insurance is expensive. (Small companies normally see this) for the rest of the cons--Some people do have issues working here and if you have the wrong approach to working here you will too. This is a small company doing BIG things. If you don't perform well, if you fail to bring value by not being able to perform multiple positions then I would not blame the sole funds provider of this company to let you go. I am just being honest. I decided to write this review because of so many of the negative reviews from those previously employed. I hope you by reading this can tell that sour grapes don't make wine.

Advice to Management

On the right track. As we grow, we need to continue to grow the behind the scenes programs, i.e. record keeping, electronic tracking, routing, and doc storage. Thank you for showing appreciation for the team.

"The positive reviews here are ALL FAKE!"

Former Employee - Engineer in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Engineer in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is one pro. That's all I can come up with.

Cons

I have read all of the reviews here, and I recommend you do the same.

You may note a sudden influx of positive reviews from mid-March 2017. Why is that?

They are having trouble finding people who want to work there. Too many job offers are being rejected.

The company reputation is in the sewer. CEO makes all of the decisions and has admitted that he doesn't like engineers. Silo mentality; if you approach another department for information, their manager will call your manager and you will be told to not do it again or you'll be fired.

Vacation policy: you don't start accruing until 120 days. If you get sick and need to leave early to see the doctor, you lose a day's pay unless you have vacation to cover it (and you'll lose a day's worth of it). Do this twice before 120 days, and you'll be shown the door.

You will get NOT get paid for a holiday if you take the day before or the day after, even partially, off.

Company website says with five years service you get an extra week of vacation. What they're not telling you is that no one will last that long.

Also.....something that these fake positive reviewers will NEVER DENY......yes, it's true...several new hires were let go on their first day in a mass layoff in January 2016. That, my friends, can be verified using your favorite search engine.

Advice to Management

Stop with the fake reviews.

"Prepare for Futility"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sharp personnel who all joined for the right reasons - to make a difference in commercial spaceflight.
    Goodies at the commissary are a nice touch.
    Week off for the winter holidays is generous (unless you add a day of your own time before or after the break).
    Good opportunity for advancement, as senior staff and managers regularly quit or are fired. You will unexpectedly find yourself as the expert at the table.

Cons

Don't get too attached to your managers, co-workers, or department. They are fired, reorganized, or disbanded seemingly at will. Your work will end up in a dusty filing cabinet, only to find several iterations of the same work languishing there from earlier cycles of "you" that were fired on a whim in years past. (The Bigelow Matrix reboots there about every 5 years or so after a massive staff layoff.)
    With so few resources (small company), and such an emphasis on appearances, most of your time will be spent supporting the construction of marketing models. Setting smart, forward-looking design priorities or reference mission parameters is seen as far less important; only the lucky few get to work on actual designs intended to support spaceflight hardware. "We'll figure it out as we go" seems to be the beat of the marching drum, and the aerospace wheel is rediscovered time and again after much pain. You can imagine how efficient that is.
    The owner, generously self-funding the entire enterprise, will contradict history, precedent, or physical reality without realizing it. Impossible to untangle afterwards. Managers with longevity in the organization have learned to keep quiet and spread out "bad news" realities. Thus, exceedingly bizarre directives, concepts and requirements are allowed to exist for far too long, sucking precious time, resources, and effort. Not to mention morale.
    The crazy leave policy means that paid holidays are forfeited if you augment them with your own PTO means no sensible flights out for holiday weekends, and don't let your kid get sick before a holiday weekend requiring a doctor visit, or else you'll have to pay for the holiday.
    Healthcare options are just unpleasant if you're single, a nightmare if you're supporting a family.

Advice to Management

Give the captain's chair to someone from the actual field of aerospace project management. Give them latitude to build bridges with the few aerospace system contractors there are. Everything cannot and should not be done in-house.
    Forget the blasted engineering models before a design reference mission is well established and thought out. Putting the cart before the horse is a negative idiom for a reason.

"House of Cards"

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time

Pros

Company provides lunches on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Cons

I lasted less than 1 week and the only thing that I can think of that I did wrong was ask for 3rd party (non owner provided) data to prepare the reports that I was being asked to do. In the end it was a good thing that I didn't last because the atmosphere was very closed and controlling, much like the former Soviet Union.
    First of all, the 8-5 no OT sounds good until you have to take time off. If you have to take off during the day for some reason, the time comes out of your vacation bank. If you do not have time in your vacation bank and an emergency comes up you need to leave during the day then you do not get paid for that day even for the time that you already put in. This makes no sense for a salaried person. If you do 6 hours on Tuesday and 10 hours on Wednesday and you are getting your job done, it should not matter.
    There are physical barriers in place. My boss was located behind a door that I could not get through without asking the receptionist to "buzz" me in. Also, when I was there I had 2 meetings with the owner, my boss was not present at either one. I did not have the opportunity to meet with my boss the entire time that I was there to review duties and expectations.
    Make a suggestion? I was told if I wanted to keep my job, I should not make suggestions such as requiring line people to wear steel-toed boots as a safety measure because the owner didn't feel that it was necessary.
    Medical insurance? Most people get their insurance outside of the company because it is too expensive. For example, the lowest priced HMO plan for a family had a $10,000 deductible and cost more than $1,400 per month. The dental and vision were comparable to other plans.

Advice to Management

It's not my company and Mr. B can do what he wants, but there are a lot of negative comments here about this company. That in itself should make one stop and think about it.