Bigelow Aerospace Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Robert Bigelow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free Cookies, Ice Cream & Coffee (in 10 reviews)

• It could be the free cookies and ice cream (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No direction, no training, no team work, no real products, no real customers, no respect, no vision, no career path, no job security, no good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Benefits, vacation policy, etc will shock and awe anyone (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working at Bigelow Aerospace because I can appreciate the benefits that come with a small company. Almost everybody knows each other by name. It also gives me the opportunity to tackle assignments and projects that have nothing to do with my primary job. This helps me learn new things, makes me more valuable to the company and perhaps gets us as a company and the vision of Mr. B one step closer to our goal. Company is doing amazing work, engineers, technicians are top notch. We have stuff in space now, how cool is that? We have stuff on the fricken International Space Station, how cool is that? Cool Holiday party with prizes, bowling league, halloween pumpkin carving contest, free lunch 3 days a week, 2 weeks off paid for the holidays, paid early out fridays. Steady work hours, 8-5 Mon-thur, 8-3 Fri.

Cons

I don't know of any except medical insurance is expensive. (Small companies normally see this) for the rest of the cons--Some people do have issues working here and if you have the wrong approach to working here you will too. This is a small company doing BIG things. If you don't perform well, if you fail to bring value by not being able to perform multiple positions then I would not blame the sole funds provider of this company to let you go. I am just being honest. I decided to write this review because of so many of the negative reviews from those previously employed. I hope you by reading this can tell that sour grapes don't make wine.

Advice to Management

On the right track. As we grow, we need to continue to grow the behind the scenes programs, i.e. record keeping, electronic tracking, routing, and doc storage. Thank you for showing appreciation for the team.

2. "Engineer"

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time

Pros

The pay, at that time, was decent.

Cons

There are so many.
    The work load was not consistent with the hours for work. No extra time or overtime allowed.
    The owner is a billionaire who doesn't know anything about aerospace, is not tech savvy and doesn't really care about anything in general.
    Hiring and firing are done at a whim and for no reason at all.
    Read the other reviews, pretty much one year they hired a new department and let them all go on the first day.
    Insurance is very expensive and not representative of anything in market.
    No holiday pay, no time off (it is listed there, but it is not anything useful).

Advice to Management

Sell to a better company and get out. You are hurting this countries future in space products.

"Massive potential which sadly will likely never be realized unless they are bought out."

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really Awesome, Intelligent Engineers, Techs and Support Personnel (the ones who stay). Free Cookies, Ice Cream & Coffee. Salary was good. There are some amazing projects to work on . Good work life balance.

Cons

Management Runs on Fear and Intimidation which comes down from the top!! Everyone walks on egg shells all the time, most don't have the balls to speak up (they like their paychecks). Some of the Managers will publicly humiliate you in front of your colleagues if something goes wrong. Although managers get blamed for Everything by Mr. B they NEVER take the blame for anything publicly. They will always find a scapegoat.

No matter how wrong something is or how right you are DON'T SPEAK UP. You will be marked and your days will be numbered. As long as you keep your head buried in the sand and don't speak the truth you will be fine.

They claim we should be grateful about getting fed 3 days per week but the food is terrible and management is too lazy to switch menus or companies and most people are scared to ask for fear of repercussions.

I have never worked for a company where certain secretaries and other low level pencil pushers wield so much power (for the record Most are great).

No matter how good you are... No Matter How important you are to the Mission... No Matter how long you have been a loyal subject if you speak up, if you speak the truth your days will be numbered.

Advice to Management

The only hope is for Bigelow to sell out to ULA, SpaceX, Blue Origin or Virgin Galactic and let that company wipe the slate clean of most upper management.

"Not worth the headache"

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coffee, Cookies, and Ice cream but only between 10 and 2.

Cons

To much Management!
    No real direction

Advice to Management

Less managers

"Interesting place, but isn't for everyone"

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time

Pros

The pay was good and the opportunity seemed great. The perks are nice, catered food and various activities.

Its a very interesting place- this is more of a hobby for the CEO than an actual business.

Cons

Management threatens to fire.
    People seem to be hot and cold depending on the day.
    Benefits are TERRIBLE. Premiums on insurance are double through the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees about issues and there wouldn't be such a large turn over. One bad apple can cost a company quality individuals.

"Awesome projects!!!"

Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BEAM Program - working with an amazing group of Mechanical and System Engineers. Great group of very talented individuals. Great social events and gatherings.

Cons

If any, would be that the BEAM program came to an end but looking forward to the next challenge. Departments need to grow at a much faster pace.

Advice to Management

More open forum meetings and discussions.

"Next Destinations"

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continuous challenges and the never ending flow of interesting projects. Proactive management that listens and reacts to suggestions. Management is quick to reward for hard work and honest efforts. Work life balance is key to the current culture at Bigelow Aerospace. Work 38 hours per week and paid for 40 plus no mandatory overtime. Off every weekend and out everyday by 5:00 PM. 401k plan is a very generous benefit for those who take advantage of it.

Cons

Project management is improving but needs more work. Mid level managers and supervisors need to speak up and be more involved in projects. Senior managers need to provide more opportunities for these individuals to succeed.

Advice to Management

Periodic benefit reviews to verify we are meeting or exceeding industry standards. More meetings about the direction of the company.

"Big Mission, Small Company"

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is engaging and you’ll have an ability to get involved in a breadth of areas. There’s a skilled workforce with unique backgrounds. Small company, so great work stands out. You work 38 hours per week, get paid for 40- no work on weekends (strict 8-5). Nine paid holidays, and a week or more off for Christmas depending where the days fall. The salaries are competitive for the industry. Three free catered lunches a week. Annual holiday parties- this past year the boss gave away $100,000 in cash, $80,000 the year before and two new cars the year before that. We also bowl once a week at a nearby bowling alley, over a quarter of the company participates in the league. Covered parking is nice, and the coffee and cookies are appreciated. The boss cares about his people, and that’s very evident. He’s been running and funding this company for over seventeen years, and continues to persevere through political changes and economic downfalls. That is dedication. I truly enjoy my job here, and I am privileged to be part of a team that is trying to accomplish something so big.

Cons

The company is funded out of the pocket of a single individual- needless to say the benefits aren't as nice as a large company or a government job. Projects are apt to change depending upon priorities of the company- you need to be flexible. Often times you're asked to wear more than one hat, which can be a pro or a con depending on your personality and level of ambition. As stated many times, the company is small, personality type and willingness to work are incredibly important to succeed in the company. The boss gets his hands dirty, and likes to get in the details. You’re constantly faced with challenges and obstacles to overcome that can put your capability and ambition to the test.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage communication throughout the entire company. Often times the vision from the top doesn't make it to everyone.

"The other story"

I have been working at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Join the new era of space exploration. History in the making, cool projects that are challenging and rewarding. Mr. B is very generous with the holiday party and prizes. One of the most appreciated benefits is the week long holiday over Christmas and paid 2 hrs off on Fridays. He recently subsidized the bowling team for BA which has been a lot of fun and great company interaction. If you are diligent in your
    efforts and willing to diversify your talents you will be rewarded generously.

Cons

Poor vacation time and slightly below average Aerospace benefits

Advice to Management

Be competitive with benefits to help attract the human capital needed to meet our aggressive goals.

"The positive reviews here are ALL FAKE!"

Former Employee - Engineer in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Engineer in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bigelow Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is one pro. That's all I can come up with.

Cons

I have read all of the reviews here, and I recommend you do the same.

You may note a sudden influx of positive reviews from mid-March 2017. Why is that?

They are having trouble finding people who want to work there. Too many job offers are being rejected.

The company reputation is in the sewer. CEO makes all of the decisions and has admitted that he doesn't like engineers. Silo mentality; if you approach another department for information, their manager will call your manager and you will be told to not do it again or you'll be fired.

Vacation policy: you don't start accruing until 120 days. If you get sick and need to leave early to see the doctor, you lose a day's pay unless you have vacation to cover it (and you'll lose a day's worth of it). Do this twice before 120 days, and you'll be shown the door.

You will get NOT get paid for a holiday if you take the day before or the day after, even partially, off.

Company website says with five years service you get an extra week of vacation. What they're not telling you is that no one will last that long.

Also.....something that these fake positive reviewers will NEVER DENY......yes, it's true...several new hires were let go on their first day in a mass layoff in January 2016. That, my friends, can be verified using your favorite search engine.

Advice to Management

Stop with the fake reviews.