Biggs|Gilmore Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 24, 2017

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jane Tamraz

1. "An agency with smarts, hearts and soul"

Current Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Biggs|Gilmore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This agency is so well led and mentored by the two Principals, that the very best of the Biggs culture should stay despite the recent acquisition by VML. It's got a great reputation in the agency world, is renowned for punching above its weight, creatively savvy, analytically sound, and now has additional clients, resources and opportunities via VML. You work hard and get challenged daily by 3 huge household-name accounts, but the bosses appreciate people have home lives too, and they genuinely care about their employees.

Cons

Salaries are on the lower side vs Chicago agencies, but benefits are excellent. The split office situation (Kalamazoo & Chicago) is tough sometimes if you're a Chicago AD, as almost all creative & dev was historically based in KZoo, as well as many account managers/directors. Means it's hard to bond with your team quickly if you're new. But everyone tries hard to make it work, people travel between offices regularly, and you'll have exceptionally professional co-workers to bond with.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the unique Biggs culture, increase collaboration between the KZ and Chi offices, especially where account teams are split.

2. "Awesome Growth Experience in Digital Advertising. Poor Leadership Skills and Career Growth Opps."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Biggs|Gilmore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazing. So pleasant to work with. Fun. Energetic atmosphere. You take on a lot of responsibility since this is a smaller agency, but you learn so much because of it. You are asked to be a leader, and they mean it. Bring great ideas, and you'll be noticed. Annual bonuses and merit increases and every review. Benefits are good.

Cons

No career growth opportunity. Since this is a small agency in a small town, we have a lot of "lifers", which means that there is no where to grow. They do give out promotions, but very rarely. They hire in new people who clearly have less experience, but they are brought in for higher roles. Some management personalities are not conducive to a positive work experience, but they are allowed to stay because they have been here for so long. Very easily will pile on work to your current workload, simply so they don't have to hire someone new. Salary is very low.

Advice to Management

Allow for 360 reviews from your employees. While you may receive some ridiculous complaints, I am sure that most of the feedback would be constructive and would help everyone grow. Don't allow certain management to take advantage of their titles by treating people poorly, or thinking that they are entitled. We all work hard and we ll deserve respect. Have clear career paths for people.

3. "Great place to work"

I worked at Biggs|Gilmore full-time

Pros

Engaged, proactive management
    Big brands
    Family atmosphere

Cons

Could be limiting at times but nothing atypical for small companies

Advice to Management

Keep the culture strong and put people first.

5. "Account Supervisor"

I worked at Biggs|Gilmore full-time

Pros

Nothing. This place is a joke. All small town people with big jerk attitudes run this place and all get away with murder.

Cons

Those in authority -- all small town wannabes - are arrogant, condescending, mean-spirited, closed-minded and unwelcoming. There is more throw people under the bus bologna going on than is acceptable or tolerable. The top CEO's choose to ignore what's going on in the ridiculous point fingers culture I've ever seen. What ever Sr. Level crybaby doesn't get their way - they run to tell J or M. Ridiculous place to work. I highly doubt the merger with VML helped any. Run from this place. Oh and their HR Witch? She needs to learn HR law! Stay away from anyone that worked at Biggs Gilmore!

Advice to Management

Grow up.

6. "Good company, excellent owners, quirky place and mostly fun."

I have been working at Biggs|Gilmore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice employee perks, like ice cream in the lobby, Beer:30s, community service days, etc. Family-friendly and good business culture. Forward-thinking company.

Cons

Sometimes employees are pigeonholed and it's tough to watch others with far less experience advance. It's not a problem for everyone, but I've witnessed it happen to a few people.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at all of the resources available to you and be more flexible in giving people a chance to do something different. They might surprise you.

7. "Senior Account Exectuive"

I worked at Biggs|Gilmore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great, award winning work. Awesome clients. Great work-life balance

Cons

Upper-management often provided sparse direction/expectations

8. "We work hard and play hard"

I have been working at Biggs|Gilmore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great company culture is built from the top down. The senior management at Biggs is the best that I've ever seen the execs are very down to earth and see us as actual people, not just employees.

Also almost everyone here works their ass off, its not that there is a ton of people staying late or coming in early every day but (for the most part) everyone brings their "A" game during the 8 hours they're here.

Cons

Honestly I can't think of any. There are 2-3 people who really get under my skin but you would be hard-pressed to find any job without that

Advice to Management

Can't think of anything.