Cover image for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

3.7
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation CEO Mark Suzman
Mark Suzman
1 Rating

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Got a burning question about Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

Ask a Question

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your private company bowl on Fishbowl, join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great colleagues, no growth opportunities

Oct 24, 2022 - Deputy Director in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart, committed, impact-oriented, and visionary colleagues.

Cons

Lack of professional growth opportunities. Programmatic staff are not fungible across program strategy teams. Limited options (either stay in your role or leave).

2. 4.0
    Former Freelancer, more than 5 years

Work and rework

Aug 23, 2022 - Deputy Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and interesting people to meet

Cons

Too much redoing of the work which is a complete waste of time for team and grantees.

3. Join the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Power, Potential, Politics & Hubris

Nov 27, 2021 - Deputy Director in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Powerful mission Ability to fund good work that matters, if you are on a team empowered to execute. Good benefits and supports - including during the pandemic. When you have the right leadership and manager you truly feel like you can make a difference in the world. Resources, and the doors they open.

Cons

Limited technical expertise or focus on impact in some teams. Constant strategy refresh and overall inward focus impedes long term impact. Staff seen and treated as disposable = lack of psychological safety on many teams. Little change / impact on diversity and inclusion; no sense of belonging in many teams. Poor track record on immigration support to staff.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Just Know What You’re Getting Into...

Mar 7, 2021 - Deputy Director in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Foundation is hands down the definition of generosity. The pay, benefits and perks are like no other. This review is not about the company and their generosity, it’s about the culture. When you get your shiny, impressive job offer, just know what you’re getting into. My rating is an average. 5 stars for the spirit of generosity, pay and working with fantastic people. 1 star for culture. To be fair, my rating fell in the middle at 3.

Cons

-First, the most brilliant minds in the world work here. It also means there is very little forward movement. We spend months talking and toiling about “strategy” and making everything more complicated than it needs to be. The partners in the field are doing the tough work. We are investing the money. It should not be that complicated - but the Gates culture is hooked on complicated. -Second , lack of diversity and unconscious adherence to white supremacy culture where cutthroat behavior is normalized. Employees who are actually from the places we are supposed to be supporting are marginalized and/or pushed out. Grant dollars go to white-led, “elite” institutions and there is little interest in changing this. It’s actually quite shocking for a place that claims “All Lives Have Equal Value.” -Third, the HR department is a disaster. HR gets a bad rap in most organizations and it’s not always fair. However, at the Foundation it’s the worst I’ve ever experienced. There are way too many of them (like 70 HR people). The left has no idea what the right is doing, you ask a question and you get four different answers, and the turnover is ridiculous. Ive been a people leader for 4 years and had over a dozen HR people come and go. You can barely get a question about basic benefits answered. Don’t get me started on the recruiting process and philosophy on pay equity. -Fourth, your team will go through change every 6 months so just expect it and plan for it. I understand change is inevitable, but it’s almost a disease at the foundation. It goes back to my first point, they make things complicated for no reason, which results in constant change and reinventing the wheel over and over again.

35 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Deputy Director

Dec 23, 2015 - Deputy Director in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with extremely smart and impressive colleagues. You get to invest in creative entrepreneurs and innovators who are trying to change the world for the better.

Cons

It takes almost a year to earn "your operating license" within the organization and too much time is spent on internal process versus investing and working with the field to maximize impact.

4 people found this review helpful

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Response

Head of Talent Acquisition and Talent Management

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. If you are open to it, I'd love to get your thoughts on our new First Year Success Plans. Our intent is to support new hires to be more productive and operating faster than in the past. Please let me know. Pam.yanchik@gatesfoundation.org

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

An amazing place ... with some challenges

Apr 21, 2013 - Deputy Director in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will never work with a more talented and accomplished group of peers who share a deep commitment to a common goal. There are amazing people here.

Cons

The organizational and management culture is challenging: a self-imposed emphasis on speed with rapid cycles of rethinking seem, in some strategies at least, to result in lots of false starts. On the team I joined, we had a very high turnover rate, especially at the higher levels, which was frustrating.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

excellent place to work

May 29, 2022 - Deputy Director in New Delhi
    Business Outlook

Pros

very employee-friendly; great return of job satisfaction

Cons

nothing that I would highlight

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 English Reviews