BillSoft Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 24, 2017

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Lopatofsky

1. "Great Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at BillSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BillSoft has amazing benefits! It provides FULL health, vision and dental plans as well as 401k. When I didn't fully understand 401k, a one-on-one meeting was set up to ensure I understood before registering. On top of these benefits, we have 11 paid holidays, 15 days PTO AND FLEX time! The environment is great and we have a diverse culture! Everyone is hardworking and fun to be around. We have fruit out daily for associates and visitors, as well as pop and Vitamin Water!

Cons

The work load is not overbearing, but you are never bored! We are in two separate buildings that are next to each other- its great on nice days (not so much on the rainy days!)

"Would not work here"

I worked at BillSoft full-time

Pros

Solid Business revenue stream, good location/facilities,

Cons

Horrible management style, employees afraid of losing there jobs daily & approach their responsibilities like that - working in a dictatorship type environment.

Advice to Management

Every day employees conduct themselves in a manner to avoid being fired randomly, they are scared of the tyrants in mgmt that sneak, spy, send others to spy for them etc. Never been in an environment like this before.

"Great potential, but not under the owner"

Former Employee - Not Disclosed in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Not Disclosed in Overland Park, KS

I worked at BillSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The software is of better than average quality.

Cons

The owner does not value his people and longevity of career is nearly non-existant

Advice to Management

The owner needs to sell and get out of the business.

"Very difficult environment for growth; would not recommend"

I worked at BillSoft full-time

Pros

Good employees, decent benefits, competitive salary.

Cons

CEO micro-manager, people cannot voice opinion or bring their experience to this organization. If you've been with large organizations before, forget this one. Don't try to bring your experience here. Be prepared to do things one way, or face repercussions. If you don't mind coming in to work everyday and simply being a glorified secretary to what the owner wants, then give it a try. But if you are looking for a successful career in a fast moving, experienced organization, recommend looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees that they know what their doing. Seasoned professionals, but strong bottleneck is executive management. Step out of the way and don't micromanage. Giving direction and mentally abusing your employees are not the same thing. The products and company have potential, but there needs to be a clear direction on where the company is going and how to get there. If employees cannot trust nor look to upper executive management for clear direction, failure is certain.

"Trying."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

The employees of BillSoft were great people who shared a "we're all in this together" camaraderie. They had innovative ideas and worked hard.

Cons

Unfortunately, innovation did not appear to be welcomed by management. Nor did work/life balance. The environment was extremely stressful. Benefits were standard. Expectations were constantly in flux, there was no level of security, turnover was extremely high and upper management was, in my opinion, abusive.

Advice to Management

Stop placing people in roles the are neither qualified for nor wish to assume. Extend trust to your management team and step out of the micro-manager role. Treat your employees with fairness and some measure of equality. Stop creating discourse in your ranks. Recognize that your success is the end result of efforts put forth by good, decent and hard working people - and treat them with genuine appreciation and respect.

7. "Average Company"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at BillSoft as an intern

Pros

Friendly and hardworking employees, competitive salary

Cons

A very bland work environment, high turnover

"I wouldn't count on any "changes" lasting"

I worked at BillSoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At first, you may sense an entrepreneurial environment, and to be fair -- that is reflective of the intentions of the founder / CEO. If you do not intend to make this a long-range stop in your career, you can learn some stuff here before moving on.

Cons

As others have noted, the CEO is very much a micro manager. What is curiously not mentioned is that that micro management seems to stem from some sort of paranoia that manifests itself in a lot of drama and unnecessary pain in the lives of his employees. I have read a couple of comments that suggest things "have changed" for the better; my personal experience shows that such a change will be very temporary at best. The same kind of "changes" were made several years ago when life for us finally got really unbearable, but within a year things were back to the way they were before.

Advice to Management

As one other person has commented, Tim should sell the company and let it go on from there. He is a brilliant programmer, but he has no business owning a company.

BillSoft Response

Dec 8, 2014 – Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We regret your personal experience, however, EZtax has directors and managers in place to help manage the work flow as our company has been gaining new business and ... More

"Run As Fast As You Can"

Pros

The only pro I can give is the pay check will cash.

Cons

There are posts that suggest things have changed at BillSoft and Tim has put managers in place. To insulate staff from him. This is not true don’t fall for it. Everything bad that has been published about this company and its owner is true. There is only two employees that have stayed with this company for more than 5 years. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Advice to Management

None Tim will never listen to anyone.

"Surprisingly Good Experience"

I have been working at BillSoft full-time

Pros

Good pay
    Above-average benefits
      (free employee health insurance, generous PTO, 11 paid holidays)
    Casual workplace
    Friendly employees
    Lenient company policies treat employees like adults

After reading the other reviews of the company, I was a little concerned about working here, but I received an offer and needed the job. I was pleasantly surprised. As long as you do your work correctly and behave appropriately, you have a lot of freedom.

Cons

Management seems distant
    Communication is lacking sometimes
    I worry that there will be some issues arise from the current rapid expansion

Advice to Management

Be aware and cautious of issues that commonly arise with rapid expansion.

"Vast improvement in company morale and future growth"

Pros

Owner has finally recognized that his talent is better served in not managing day to day operations of the firm. His passion and love of the company sometimes comes off as micromanagment. He has surrounded himself with some smart, talented managers that insulate the staff from his "passion"

Cons

A few people that were fired (AKA the vocal 10%) have come on here and bashed the company pretty hard. That has lead to a perception that the atmosphere is toxic. While not the best place in the past, it has vastly improved

Advice to Management

Continue to keep Bill out of the day to day management of the firm. Keep up the good work.