Biltmore Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Bill Cecil Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It's a beautiful place and employees have access to the Estate (in 7 reviews)

• I also have a lot more work/life balance with this company than others I have worked with in the past (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Asheville has a high cost of living in terms of rent/real estate, so you have to factor that into your paycheck (in 3 reviews)

• Front line employees make this Company what it is and they can barely eke out a living working here (in 4 reviews)

1. "Night Auditor"

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Biltmore Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Biltmore is an excellent and thoughtful employer with exceptional working conditions. I enjoy the work and the people that I work with they treat each other as well as they do our guests. Offers many benefits such as home owner assistance, car buying assistance, discounts at many local businesses.

Cons

I don't enjoy working nights and the low pay makes it impossible to live in Asheville. Therefore I must find other employment or leave the area.

Advice to Management

In the six months I have been employed at Biltmore, I have seen many people leave to find better pay opportunities.

2. "N/A"

I have been working at Biltmore Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on which department your in, you can meet some really awesome people! The family that runs the estate are generally sweet & down to earth. I personally love my job most days, but I've heard it can depend on your department. I also like being able to come onto the estate & go for a run or bike ride any time I want.

Cons

Pay is not good! It's super hard to move up in the company & it's a super corporate work environment! Communication is definitely a struggle as well & folks tend to make mountains out of mole hills. They also need to improve their hiring process & candidate selection.

Advice to Management

If they expect employees to commit to them & invest time & energy into their job then they need to commit to their employees & invest in their employees as their employees are their most valuable resource!

3. "Pros and Cons"

I have been working at Biltmore Company full-time

Pros

The benefits (lunch, healthcare, PTO) are great. Everyone you work with is super friendly.

Cons

Very low compensation for the jobs work load

Advice to Management

Increase pay for the hourly supervisors.

4. "Call Center Agent II"

I have been working at Biltmore Company part-time

Pros

Call center agents have the highest paying job on the estate, and the co-workers are incredible.

Cons

Senior management makes it almost intolerable to work there, and they have absolutely no consideration for their employees.

Advice to Management

Replace management entirely.

5. "One company, many opportunities to grow"

I have been working at Biltmore Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great CEO, the company cares about employees. Good benefits & Perks, many positions opportunity if you're not happy in one department and/or want to grow. Developing yourself professionally and personally is strongly encouraged and facilitated. Amazing co-workers. Solid company culture. Promotes from within. Overall the company and the employees care about each other, guests and the community.

Cons

Entry level positions are not living wages for the area. Hours can be irregular and scheduled on a short notice on the guest facing side.

Advice to Management

Become living wages certified

6. "Retail"

I worked at Biltmore Company part-time

Pros

The gardens and grounds are beautiful.

Cons

The reviews rating Biltmore higher than a one star must be fake, or they are from retired folks who work there for something to do. Hard workers are rewarded with more work, but no more pay or recognition. There is zero advancement opportunity unless you're friendly with management or go to the same church. Management does not set the example of excellence.

Advice to Management

The list is too long.

7. "Overall Good Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Asheville, NC

I worked at Biltmore Company (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, discounts on food and merchandise

Cons

The outfits you are required to wear are not great.

"Manager"

I worked at Biltmore Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, beautiful place to work if on the estate

Cons

Pay is not enough to make a good living in Asheville, staffing structure and hours under transition creating stress and low morale for front line staff

Advice to Management

Appreciate the dedicated and talented staff you have. Stop trying to cut so many hours and pushing hourly staff so hard

9. "Great growth opportunities"

I have been working at Biltmore Company full-time

Pros

They care about developing the employee, and offer a great amount of resources for professional growth, which you'd be smart to take advantage of.

Cons

Pay is fairly low, considering the cost of living in the area, though it might seem higher than the national average.

10. "Group Sales Agent"

Former Employee - Group Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Group Sales Agent

I worked at Biltmore Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are 8:30-5 M-F, which are great. There are only 2 other group sales agents at this time, so it does create more a of a personal relationship with those individuals. When full staffed there are 3 all together. The work is easy, and the systems are easy to work when they do work.

Cons

There is literally never a set answer, and everything changes faster than the group sales agents can find out. Sales managers do not answer their phone most of the time, therefore Group Sales Agent lines stay congested with unset guest wanting quotes. Most guest end up going to Grove Park or Hilton because it is such a pain to get a human on the phone. The most amazing part is the Senior Manager - Reservation Sales & Guest Support does NOT have a login to any of the systems, and has no clue what is going on.

Advice to Management

Work on communication there are too many supervisors that could not perform my job or even know how to help me when i had questions.