Binary Tree Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven Pivnik

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall Park, NJ

I have been working at Binary Tree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people.
    The products.
    The work/life balance.

Cons

Being a virtual company, integration into the company can be slow.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the impact of the non-sales personnel in driving the business.
    Continue to review the benefits you offer to keep aligned with similar companies.

2. "Not too bad..."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Red Wing, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Red Wing, MN

I worked at Binary Tree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I left the company early 2000s (not 2013--but the dropdown box did not allow for that). It was a good place to work until the financials went south...

Cons

Working in a remote office caused some political difficulties. Despite local management, there were miscommunications, backstabbing, and general unpleasantness. It wasn't a difficult choice to leave when a new job came along.

3. "Very lucrative, nice perks, duties somewhat demanding"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall Park, NJ

I worked at Binary Tree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They share the wealth, big time. They make sure you are paid well, and enjoy the rewards of the company doing well. The profit share is very good.

Cons

They expect you to work at 110% all the time you are there. Very much a Work-Hard, Play-Hard atmosphere. Sales doesn't like small clients or small payments. They target big companies, and let all the little sales go to other firms. The NDAs are too constrictive.

Advice to Management

You could double your business if you stop letting sales ignore customers under 500 units.

5. "Don't work at this place"

Former Employee - Messaging Consultant in Kendall Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Messaging Consultant in Kendall Park, NJ

I worked at Binary Tree (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from home and pay is okay based on experience.

Cons

Very bad management especially in the upper management. Empowers wrong people and don't trust employees. They trust who they trust and everyone else is wrong, that's the mentality. Their products are designed poorly and management expects consultants who use the software for migration projects to make it work. Management is micromanaging and expects to make up hours while having no projects assigned.

Advice to Management

Trust the employees and be open to new ideas from new hires. Stop micromanaging and treat employees equally than just a number.

"Great employer and people"

Current Employee - Global Marketing Director in Kendall Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Global Marketing Director in Kendall Park, NJ

Pros

A solid team of smart, creative, innovative and driven individuals all over the world. I work both remotely and at the corporate office at Binary Tree for over 1-1/2 years and have had great experiences thus far. Perfect work-life balance. The company provides many learning and growth opportunities. I was promoted within my first year, and my responsibility increased significantly. Management supported me and provided me with top-notch career mentorship through my transition. I feel empowered and respected, and in return, I provide the same leadership to others.

Cons

It can be difficult at first to adjust working for a virtual company if you’ve never worked for one before. Things can move differently and some processes are not what you may be used to. It’s an adjustment. That being said, if you are agile, can easily adapt, and learn how to work both independently and cross-functionally, you can make a significant impact here!

Advice to Management

Maintain the same standards across the company. Continue with the positive changes that are positioning the company and its employees for success.

"SR. QA Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Binary Tree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work from home, video conferencing a lot,

Cons

seeing people face to face is non-existant

"Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Binary Tree (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and the ability to work from home, which can allow you to be more productive and less distractions.

Cons

Recently a lot of turn over in staff

"Product Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Work from Home and peers

Cons

Lack of Work/Life Balance and Senior Management empathy of lower roles

10. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Binary Tree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like most SMB's, BT is fast paced and agile. Never a dull moment!

Cons

Mostly a remote work environment. Makes it challenging to develop relationships outside of your department.

Advice to Management

Encourage interdepartmental communications. Continue organizing in person company meetings so employees can meet face to face.

11. "Great Experience - Great People"

I have been working at Binary Tree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Binary Tree is one of the best companies where I have worked in my career. The people and management are really great, work-life balance is amazing, and you are empowered to get your work done in ways where you can think outside the box, providing your unique value to the company.
    Working remotely in a virtual company is great -- but you have to be self-disciplined. My life is so much better now that I don't commute or deal with in-office politics anymore. Additionally, the leadership at Binary Tree is very candid and open, and they reward employees with trips (for top performers, as nominated by peers) and company events in places like South Beach.
    We work really hard, but we also enjoy what we do. And it shows!

Cons

You really have to have self-discipline to thrive at Binary Tree. As a "virtual" company, you are usually by yourself, working at home. For those of us who work here, this is an asset and we work well in that environment. But if you think it's a chance to slack off, it will be pretty obvious.
    It can be hard to not see coworkers you really like but once or twice a year, but we are on Skype so much that it doesn't seem much different than cubicle land.

The 401K matching program could definitely be better, but the health insurance is really solid.
    Other than that, compared to other placed where I have worked, there are really not many cons.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and work to retain the great people here. Keep the company private -- the temptation might be there to some day sell the company or take it public, but either would kill what is wonderful about Binary Tree.