Cover image for Bio-Rad Laboratories

Bio-Rad Laboratories

Engaged Employer

Bio-Rad Laboratories

Add a Review

Bio-Rad Laboratories Employee Reviews about "bio rad"

Updated Dec 3, 2021

3.5
Bio-Rad Laboratories President and CEO Norman Schwartz
Norman Schwartz

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with(in 91 reviews)
  • "Good benefits and stocks from the company(in 88 reviews)
  • "Work Life Balance is good because there are no expectations that you will work hard (you certainly won't be recognized for it).(in 49 reviews)
  • "Good work environment(in 25 reviews)
  • "good salary and nice location(in 25 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Bio-Rad Laboratories and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "bio rad"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good

Mar 9, 2017 - Product Specialist in Stockholm, Stockholm
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a good environment for exanding and developing knowledge and successful products that bio rad has on the market.

Cons

It is not much I would like to bring up. I'm not the kind of person who is unhappy with work.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A poorly run company by an incompetent CEO

Jun 25, 2019 - Manager in Hercules, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Like any company that is serious to stay alive, Bio-Rad recognizes that and it’s doing its best to prove to investors they can be profitable through any means. This last quarter, Bio-rad reports it makes smart return from investment in Satorius and included the money as part of their operating income. That was very surprising indeed. Sounds like a desperate move.

Cons

Bio-Rad’s vision is plain dead. They have laid major emphasis on short term strategic goals and ignore a truly value creation strategy (long term goals). As a former employee and investor, Bio-rad CEO is a value destroyer due to its incompetency, lack of vision and poor prioritization. Sadly, this reflect deeply to almost 90% of senior to junior management. During my tenure at Bio-Rad most managers work for Bio-Rad because it’s a good commute and they get free 15% quarterly ESPP. Don’t work for Bio-Rad if you care about your career development and your are passionate to change the world to help people live a better healthy life. After all Bio-Rad is a life science and diagnostic company.

12 people found this review helpful

Bio-Rad Laboratories Response

Manager, Employer Branding

Well, that’s a whole lot of review to unpack. First, thanks for voicing your opinion and submitting this review. It helps us understand where we can improve, especially with regard to internal communication among our management teams. Second, leaving any organization can be very difficult and your experience is your experience, so your opinion is entirely valid. But if we’re trying to be honest and accurate, allow us to rebut a few of your points. That’s fair, right? Profit on Sartorius investment: any investment that pays dividends is likely to be considered “smart”, but the fact that Bio-Rad reported this as revenue is, in fact, required by law. It’s not about being desperate, but rather being transparent to investors. We hope you see the difference. CEO Incompetency: Looking at facts, Bio-Rad’s revenue has grown from just over $1B when Norman Schwartz became CEO, to $2.2B in 2018. Can we do even better? Yes, and we plan to, but It’s hard to see how doubling the size of the company qualifies as incompetency. Passion to change the world. Everyone should find their calling--perhaps yours simply isn’t in the life sciences or perhaps Bio-Rad somehow felt wrong. We would counter, though, that AS a science and diagnostics company, Bio-Rad is very much helping people to lead longer, healthier lives. We see our customers as partners in this endeavor. That’s why we say “Advance discovery. Improve Lives.” Maybe you simply never got a chance to witness how the tools and tests we create help promote science and health care. We wish you had. Sell the company: No, that's not going to happen. Independence is a Bio-Rad core value and we’re sticking to it. Last thought: This response is not meant to invalidate your personal opinion, but rather to put things in perspective. Despite your now negative view of Bio-Rad, you point to areas where we can improve as an organization, such as improving our management teams. We are working hard in that regard and we are excited to announce that Bio-Rad has just added two new members to our senior executive team. We were fortunate to find just the right fit in a new COO and new CFO. We are excited to see where they will help lead us. Thank you for this review. We hope you find your right fit, too.

3. Join the Bio-Rad Laboratories team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Bio Rad - Cambridge MA

Feb 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bio Rad is an old school conservative company that provide some life science products to their customers, but had nothing to offer to their employees, I mean nothing!

Cons

I worked in Bio Rad at Cambridge site, and I witnessed the terrible poisoned culture. Very bad micro managers with no experience about leadership or development. It's appalling how people don't respect each other because of miss communication, no transparency, lies and tons of gossip. Not much talented people, the good employees leave once they are fed up with the bad management and wrong directions. Big place full of lies and fake managers. Aweful place to work at, you learn nothing because people are taught how to be competitive by the managers. Stay away not worth your time! They seem nice at first glance but once you get in, you will run away.

14 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Bio-Rad Continues to Rock and Plano Continues to be a Fantastic Place to Work

Mar 4, 2022 - Scientist in Plano, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

In 2019 I reviewed Bio-Rad as a whole and working in the Plano, TX location. While I stand by my earlier comments: 'Working with great people and excellent management. In continuing the mission of Advancing Science and Improving Lives, you have the opportunity to make contributions to products that improve life on the planet Earth in meaningful ways. I love the get the job done environment in Plano and being part of a team that delivers. With respect to Management, I cherish the ability to have frank conversations about ways to improve our processes and products - and the genuine interest that they take in moving us forward. Another important Pro is the employee stock purchase plan'...'The ability to buy BIO at a 15% discount from the lowest of either the beginning or the end of the quarter is great! Bio-Rad also has excellent opportunities for continuing your education. Bio-Rad has paid for multiple degrees since I have been an employee. I also appreciate the various platforms that Bio-Rad has for social learning, and innovation. You can collaborate with employees located all over the world to improve ideas and learn from each other.' Much has happened since then and it is time to update my review: Companies - like people, reveal their core values in the face of adversity. When there are difficult times, will the company support its employees or make decisions based on the short term business environment? The ransomware attack at Bio-Rad in 2019 and the COVID-19 pandemic provide excellent opportunities to evaluate Bio-Rad's core values. During the ransomware attack in 2019, most of Bio-Rad's operations were shutdown for 2+weeks. As our work computers and phones were inoperable, most Bio-Rad employees were idled. Bio-Rad continued to pay employees (hourly or salaried) their normal compensation while the problem was worked on and supported us to the fullest extent possible. Employees used the idle time for development, etc. While Bio-Rad suffered multi-million dollar damages, there was no change for the employees. COVID-19 is an even starker example of Bio-Rad's values as an employer. When the pandemic hit, Bio-Rad worked with employees to provide them with opportunities to work from home when possible, and for those that needed to continue in the workplace, Bio-Rad took employee safety extremely seriously. Bio-Rad supported employees who got sick with paid time off, etc. If you have to endure a pandemic, hopefully you will be fortunate enough to work for someone like Bio-Rad. I am also extremely proud of the contributions made to fighting COVID (you can find them at the Bio-Rad website ). Bio-Rad has continued to offer new opportunities for advancing discovery and diagnostics to employees along with new opportunities for employee development.

Cons

From my 2019 comments: Sometimes you work with people that have issues with accountability. This is generally not a long term issue as they tend to depart fairly quickly...

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee

Stuck in the mud - avoid if you can

May 21, 2015 - Field Service Team in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bio Rad has a large product line and acquire new products/companies regularly, therefore the company is growing, stable, cash rich and well know

Cons

The constant growth leads to confusion and inefficiency, there is a reluctance to accept change or move with the times. The management is old, you will find many employees with 20 + years 'experience' at Bio Rad. Generally they have found a niche for themselves and protect it vigorously - therefore the company is stagnant and lacks the ability to become effective or efficient - the only real growth is through acquisition. The opportunity to be creative, progressive or bring in improvements is therefore nearly impossible since you face constant resistance from the 'old school' army. The senior management appear unaware or unable or unwilling to address these issues and therefore the company will never reach its full potential and will trudge on as it has for the last 10 years being another 'me too'.

9 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

About Bio-Rad

Dec 10, 2020 - Campaign Management in Hercules, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bio-Rad employees are top tier, smart, experienced, very seasoned, eager, extremely hard working. They thrive in collaborative environments. They care about the quality of their work and are extra supportive with new talent.

Cons

Salary comparison of the Biotech industry rank Bio-Rad in the lower end of the spectrum, however Bio-Rad has great employee benefits.

Be the first to find this review helpful