BioMarin Pharmaceutical Reviews in Novato, CA | Glassdoor

BioMarin Pharmaceutical Chief Executive Officer Jean-Jacques Bienaimé
Jean-Jacques Bienaimé

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is the worst I've seen in the industry; everyone walks around stressed and constantly overworked (in 14 reviews)

• Large company feel with multiple levels for lower to senior management (in 10 reviews)

1. "Manufacturing Associate"

Current Contractor - Manufacturing Associate in Novato, CA
    Current Contractor - Manufacturing Associate in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, awesome people there - most everyone is very friendly, positive, and passionate about the work, one or two bad apples of course.

Cons

A couple departments have growing pains, they try to emulate the same strong culture as the rest of the company but traditional management styles by middle management are at odds with upper management and the associates on the floor. (Galli West and Galli North). Positive change is coming, albeit slowly.

Some extra tedious administrative work requested by the traditional middle management. Will not be required in several years.

Advice to Management

Traditional hierarchy and micromanaging by middle management leads to several problems:
    -Less productivity
    -Too much admin work for operators, especially to Area Leads
    -Area Leads are then pressured to delegate and reduce teamwork and efficiency
    -Middle management focuses on the "blame game" on individual operators for deviations, instead of focusing on what happened and how to fix it, or realizing it was unavoidable.

2. "Corruption"

Former Contractor - RA II in Novato, CA
    Former Contractor - RA II in Novato, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good mission to develop orphan drugs and, good science to back it up.

Cons

A Sr Scientist took my Nobel Idea and, presented as her idea. When complained to her and my manager, my contract was terminated. I talk about this, including her name, to every Scientist I meet. Our community is not very big so, the words spread fast!

Advice to Management

Heads up! Corruption bankrupts any organization by destroying the trust.

"Manufacturing Associate"

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture created around quality and excellence for the patients in need, combined with hard-working, energetic, and genuinely happy employees.

Cons

Management and promotion structure is lacking efficiency.

"Facilities"

Former Employee - Facilities in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Facilities in Novato, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical (Less than a year)

Pros

Good team - worked well together

Cons

Management was terrible and hard to work with

5. "Sr. Buyer/Planner"

Current Employee - Senior Buyer/Planner in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer/Planner in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovate and fast growing company

Cons

Poor infrastructure and trouble keeping up with company growth

Advice to Management

invest more time and energy into staffing and infrastructure required to run as an global organization

":("

Current Employee - Research Associate in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of Learning Opportunities. Some coworkers are nice.

Cons

Poor management. Office politics are systemically toxic. Deadlines and priorities are constantly shifting making it difficult to finish any project, or get a feeling of satisfaction from work. Coworkers work 10 hour days regularly.

"Senior Research Associate II"

Current Employee - Research Associate I - Senior Research Associate II in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees are great, motivated and intelligent people that want to do constantly do their best. The work we do is very meaningful and fulfilling since it helps make life changing impacts to patients and their families.

Cons

Inconsistent messages from upper management. It's obvious the company wants to grow much larger but has done it the wrong way by not staying true to what got us there in the first place. Instead they took large risks that have not panned out and cost people their jobs. Think rabbit vs the turtle. It's clear we have mandates from Wall St. to be profitable two years ago but good science takes time and does not reward people looking for short cuts or grabbing low hanging fruit.
    Additionally, people in the technical sector of the company seem to have a different set of promotion requirements than other groups making it more difficult to move up or rather a different set of criteria to do so. I love that we have a group here of 10+ people where the lowest person in the group is a senior director. That was a stellar idea.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees (better pay, compensation, and holiday party maybe?). Clearly defined promotions, instead of it going to a committee with vague feedback from groups that have no understanding what you have accomplished. Remember when we used to get ISO's (stock)?? That would be nice. Stop listening to Wall St. Stop taking idiotic risks. Stay closer to the core values that got us here in the first place. There are no short cuts or "good" get rich quick business deals in science. You are not smarter than the genentechs, pfizers, Amgen's etc.of the world. If they pass on a drug its probably for a reason. There are plenty of great internal ideas that need adequate time and resources to develop. Don't ditch them for a "great value" deal that just soaks up the very limited resources we have.

8. "manufacturing Associate"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, nice coffee, not bad benefit

Cons

need better management, better compensation and need to appreciate employee more with a good individual development

"BioMarin: once great, now rapidly declining"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BioMarin has the basic benefits similar to other companies. The work is interesting but it comes at a price.

Cons

BioMarin used to be a great company but has declined a lot of the past 4 years. Many of the perks associated with a free-spirit small biotech are now gone or have been reduced to nothing...no more company sponsored lunches, monthly happy hours, various financial incentives are now gone, etc. The office spaces are tiny and crammed. The HR organization is entirely unapproachable if you have needs or have concerns about co-workers or manager....if you say or question anything you will be wearing a scarlet letter. Promotion and advancement is entirely subjective as there are no clear guidelines, the process lacks any consistency. Many people managers are terrible to deal with yet HR will do nothing to address employee concerns. As was previously stated, people leave bad managers not bad companies and BioMarin has no clue about this. Watching the company decline year after year is sad....

Advice to Management

Remember, it is happy and satisfied employees that keep this business functioning....

"Good People High Expectations"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, driven coworkers, compelling mission

Cons

It is a culture of workaholics. Rarely a 40h week.

Advice to Management

Be more generous with resources and give people more productivity training.