BioMarin Pharmaceutical Reviews
84% would recommend to a friend
(520 total reviews)
88% approve of CEO
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great people and all motivated to help bring new products to patient populations with unmet needs." (in 80 reviews)
- "BioMarin pays well and offers good benefits" (in 64 reviews)
- "culture and work ethics are great" (in 37 reviews)
- "Good pay and company care" (in 31 reviews)
- "Good salary and benefits don't outweigh the bad" (in 15 reviews)
- "The amount of mediocre to bad management is discouraging at best." (in 29 reviews)
- "There are many managers but not leaders" (in 19 reviews)
- "No work life balance" (in 16 reviews)
- "I think the poor leadership post from Oct 15 ‘21 says it all and I’ve never seen it so bad as it is at BMRN" (in 14 reviews)
- "Disarray, management backbiting and backstabbing in front of staff, unprofessional behavior by many in upper management." (in 11 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of BioMarin Pharmaceutical and is not affected by filters.
Found 520 of over 685 reviews
Updated Nov 16, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0FEATURED REVIEWJul 26, 2023Power Platform Services ManagerCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearSan Rafael, CA
Some amazing benefits for the employees. Great culture and work-life balance is really good. The campus is so beautiful and best of my life so far to work at. There is always something happening on campus every other week like meetups along with food. Every tuesday and thursday, there is a local coffee truck on campus (sponsored by company-free for employees) where you get to try some amazing coffee and Starter bakery. Amazing management to work for.
Nothing to be honest, I love everything here.
- 5.0Nov 16, 2023Senior ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsSan Rafael, CA
its a great company to work with, very patients focused
as any company they have issues and could have better career opportunities
- 5.0Oct 23, 2023Associate DirectorCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsSan Rafael, CA
They value people that implement change. Offices are very nice. Senior leadership is hiring for the future. Pipeline is healthy. Science is good.
Middle management can be better at managing budgets. Projects tend to go over schedule quite frequently. Legal Contracts group is woefully understaffed.
- 2.0Sep 4, 2023DirectorFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsSan Francisco, CA
The people who work at BioMarin are amazing. Lifelong friendships. The overall compensation and benefits are extremely competitive, and get better each year. The work is is meaningful and exciting, and the company’s growth trajectory is incredibly promising. There are pockets of extraordinary culture, collaboration, and teamwork - but it all depends on who the manager is and the type of culture they create on the team.
The senior executive leadership is a mess. They cannot meet without extensive “pre-wiring”, because no actual conversations nor meaningful discussions can be had in the room. The CEO does not believe in change for the better, and blocks needed changes from happening…even though they *say* things need to happen, they don’t put their money where their mouth is. Women of color have little to no chance of truly advancing because they are told to grin and bear it - and not speak up, or else.5
- 5.0Sep 7, 2023Sr. Manager, QualityCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsNovato, CA
Employees are empowered to own processes and flexible/hybrid work schedule.
More work needed to be done than can be done with current staff. Everyone must triage their work and prioritize only the most important tasks.
- 5.0Sep 10, 2023Administrative AssistantFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsSan Rafael, CA
Great benefits and perks for FTE!
When it comes to being promoted, it really is about who you know, not what you know.1
- 4.0Oct 4, 2023Research Associate IICurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsSan Rafael, CA
Great, coworkers, inclusive company, very diverse company
The push for a lot of projects, and lack of hiring when needed
- 3.0Sep 7, 2023senior engineer 1Current Employee, more than 1 yearNovato, CA
Good opportunities for advancement, community and coworkers are great to work with, 20 company holidays, compensation is good in technical roles
Focus is on putting out fires instead of preventing them, changes are made internally without considering impact to all stakeholders sometimes1
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Reviews FAQs
BioMarin Pharmaceutical has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 685 reviews left anonymously by employees. 84% of employees would recommend working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical to a friend and 79% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
84% of BioMarin Pharmaceutical employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated BioMarin Pharmaceutical 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.