BioMarin Pharmaceutical Reviews | Glassdoor

BioMarin Pharmaceutical Chief Executive Officer Jean-Jacques Bienaimé
Jean-Jacques Bienaimé

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work - life - balance is what you make it, Tough at start but on shift now so not an issue anymore" (in 19 reviews)

• "Large company feel with multiple levels for lower to senior management" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work if you are willing to work hard"

Current Employee - Clinical Operations Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Operations Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning environment, lots of extremely smart people, room for advancement, study teams are great, flexible hours

Cons

Resourcing issues can come up frequently especially with the location of the office . Commutes can be long for a lot of employees.

Advice to Management

While planning out the clinical development plans, evaluate resourcing needs earlier on. Also, management should consult with the study teams on realistic timelines.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All Pros at this company

Cons

No Cons to think of

3. "Good place to work, nice people, very poor leadership and management"

Current Employee - QC Analyst in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - QC Analyst in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good place to work and learn about the industry, especially at the entry level if you are fresh out of college, but not necessarily a place where you will grow and be rewarded for your hard work.

-Most people are nice

-Laid back type of work atmosphere

Cons

-Lots of politics, feels like people aren't really rewarded for their hard work, especially at the lab and manufacturing floor levels, It feels like hard work is taken for granted more times then not.

-Management is very disorganized, but the blame roles down hill to the "average joe's" who tend to get the majority of the blame whenever something goes wrong but the majority of the time it is due to very poor planning by upper level management who seem to think they are the only ones that are busy and never take a step back to realize that everyone is working hard.

-Very little chance at a promotion, and when there is a chance, the decisions are quite questionable.

-It seems to be more about who you know rather then actual hard work put in.

-Long hours, crazy insane day's with unrealistic demands, constantly working different hours.

Advice to Management

It seems that for every 1 QC analyst or MFG associate, there is about 3-5 managers/directors. Huge disparity if you look at actual people working on the floor, and how many people are in management, which makes absolutely no sense. How is the company going to retain talent when it is only the one's in management getting all of the promotions. Very poor management in my opinion, upper level management never actually comes onto the floor to talk to the hard-working individuals that call it home.

-Blatant favoritism, its not about hard work. When people aren't rewarded for their hard work, they lose their incentive to continue working hard. Its not rocket science, you think people in upper level management would be able to figure this out.

4. "Clinical Trial Associate"

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time

Pros

none that I can think of.

Cons

Work environment is terrible, trainers are not clear

"Best Kept Secret in Biotech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been here for more than five years, and I love Mondays! I still pinch myself because I get to work in such a positive work environment. I have so much respect for the people here, who are brilliant and humble--a rare combination of traits. It is highly motivating to work for a company that has a clear purpose focused on helping people with rare genetic diseases. It is an exciting time to be at BioMarin while it is growing rapidly and to be a part of cutting edge science.

Cons

Fast growth in the company means that sometimes you have to be okay with ambiguity.

Advice to Management

Tell me more about what you're thinking.

6. "Assoc. Dir. QA Computer Software Validation"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open communications with my manager. She was one of the best managers I've had in 49 years at over 15 companies. She expected a lot but was very fair, gave good feedback and could always be trusted. She rewarded people for hard work and made BioMarin a fun place to work with many team building events.

Cons

It was a long drive to Novato from Oakland. It is hard to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Keep up the team events and giving feedback to people through a minimum of bi-weekly one on one meetings wit people's managers and bi-weekly team meetings. Also continue to have monthly "cake and communication" department meetings.

"Clinical"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time

Pros

The company offers great salary and benefits.

Cons

Horrible management with no talents to be leaders. Lack of work-life balance. Training is very poor and disorganized.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging people. It does not work!!! Micromanaging is a negative style of managing your employees. It is not the most productive way to approach your team.

8. "Doing great science on serious unmet medical needs"

Current Employee - Associate Director in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic opportunity to work with very bright and engaged scientists.

Cons

Senior management is sometimes difficult to access. They're trying to change this.

Advice to Management

Allow the people in the trenches more access to you - great ideas can come from anywhere!

9. "BioMarin is the best"

Current Employee - Engineer in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very rewarding work. Helping patients with unmet medical needs. Smart people. Good work environment. My boss is the best!

Cons

Not much to say here. Commute can be tough coming from east.

10. "Good company For Growth"

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time

Pros

Dedicated staff and most individuals are very easy to work with. Company culture really focused on patient health.

Cons

Company is growing and so many systems are being put into place currently that could add to already sizable workload.