BioMarin Pharmaceutical Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Chief Executive Officer Jean-Jacques Bienaimé
Jean-Jacques Bienaimé

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is not the same across the board (in 13 reviews)

• Large company feel with multiple levels for lower to senior management (in 10 reviews)

":("

Current Employee - Research Associate in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of Learning Opportunities. Some coworkers are nice.

Cons

Poor management. Office politics are systemically toxic. Deadlines and priorities are constantly shifting making it difficult to finish any project, or get a feeling of satisfaction from work. Coworkers work 10 hour days regularly.

"IT is out of control"

Former Employee - Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Rafael, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The research science being conducted is good and interesting. Folks will benefit from this research. Good benefits and great comradery within the labs.

Cons

IT is out of control. They don’t finish what they start and expect users to Ping-Pong between applications.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the upper management in IT.

"Research"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice labs with plenty of opportunities to learn new skills. Interesting research going on and widely seen as an up and coming company in terms of product success. People are friendly and valid concerns are dealt with in a timely manner.

Cons

Bad management and work life balance. Limited lunch options within walking distance. Located in the north bay so commuting is a problem. This was my first job out of college. The experience was great but the cons definitely out way the pros.

Advice to Management

Decide on the role of new hires before hiring them. Young professionals coming straight from academia often need some mentor ship. 30 minutes a week to talk about research, work flow, and feedback would have gone a long way.

"BioMarin: once great, now rapidly declining"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BioMarin has the basic benefits similar to other companies. The work is interesting but it comes at a price.

Cons

BioMarin used to be a great company but has declined a lot of the past 4 years. Many of the perks associated with a free-spirit small biotech are now gone or have been reduced to nothing...no more company sponsored lunches, monthly happy hours, various financial incentives are now gone, etc. The office spaces are tiny and crammed. The HR organization is entirely unapproachable if you have needs or have concerns about co-workers or manager....if you say or question anything you will be wearing a scarlet letter. Promotion and advancement is entirely subjective as there are no clear guidelines, the process lacks any consistency. Many people managers are terrible to deal with yet HR will do nothing to address employee concerns. As was previously stated, people leave bad managers not bad companies and BioMarin has no clue about this. Watching the company decline year after year is sad....

Advice to Management

Remember, it is happy and satisfied employees that keep this business functioning....

"Selling Hope"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pinole, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pinole, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people but they will be leaving and replaced by other complacent people. Speed is more important than Quality and everyone tries to ensures they are not responsible for any slow downs even for quality decisions.

Cons

Top heavy. The BioMarin Way can be described like a game of hot potato or musical chairs. Yes, I know these are kindergarten games. 2 year of contracting amounted to a 2 year job interview. despite promises of employment and value, no job available. Runs on contractors so they can claim successful growth. Quality is not the aim but the ends justify the means ( see The BioMarin Way above)

Advice to Management

Be more authentic and think about improving Quality and not just speed. Consider marketing hope is like selling the placebo effect, which might work until it is exposed.

"Good salary & benefits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits don't outweigh the bad

Cons

The company has lost its old culture that made it a great place to work. Be prepared to work more-better-faster, even on vacation; be ready for the boys' club mentality. Advancement is a crap shoot; you have a much better chance if you have the right manager.

"Horrible Training and Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Pros

I worked in QC. Typical corporate environment. Most of the people in IP and EM were under 30, so it was a really fun yet professional group to be around. Free lunches on Friday were nice.

Cons

Their management of temps was absolutely awful. My training was a mess. There was no clear timeline for what I was suppose to learn. I wasn't a priority to my trainer, so I was constantly doing lab cleaning and organizing to make myself useful. My supervisor rarely talked or asked about my progress.

The prospect of being hired full-time was even more confusing. There was no clear process in place to become permanent, and I never saw why as temps we were even needed. I honestly felt the only way I would have been hired full-time is if someone in my group left the company.

Advice to Management

Lay out clear expectations with your employees, regardless of status. Talk with them so they understand what you want and what they need to do.

"Great Company, Terrible Managment and Culture"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Rafael, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Rafael, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Company offers a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Management needs much improvement. They allow their FTE's to treat the contract employees terribly as second class citizens . Most of the time the FTE's have no knowledge and understanding of what they are even doing. Terrible work environment.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

"Don't feel married to the company: If you do a good ethical job, you could be joining the ranks of the unemployed soon."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Pros

Experience. Paying mortgage. Bringing business ideas forward.

Cons

"Old boys' club" trumps fair play . Ethical misbehaviors by higher management overlooked. Lack of qualifications evident in senior personnel in some departments. Adverse work environment if you are ethical & fair.

Advice to Management

Solicit feedback from employees who complain about unfair treatment. The truth will empower you to make changes and improve the environment; otherwise history will repeat itself. The annual review is sometimes used as a form of psychological abuse. How do you know how fair or unfair your directors/VPs are?

"Disappointing considering its potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Pros

Work-life balance (but not for everyone)
    Good Benefits
    Great fellow workers
    We have a direct connection to the patients we serve (Orphan Drug Co.)

Cons

Has grown too fast and leadership seems clueless
    Turnover is becoming a problem
    Development and growth are NOT encouraged, rather the opposite
    Morale is very low

Advice to Management

Wake up, free lunch and bagels do not build morale. Real leadership does