BioMarin Pharmaceutical Reviews | Glassdoor

BioMarin Pharmaceutical Reviews

Updated April 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is not the same across the board (in 13 reviews)

• Large company feel with multiple levels for lower to senior management (in 10 reviews)

1. "manufacturing"

Former Employee - LINE MANUFACTURING in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - LINE MANUFACTURING in San Rafael, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical (Less than a year)

Pros

great work environment and benefits

Cons

high turn over rate it seems

"Senior Research Associate II"

Current Employee - Research Associate I - Senior Research Associate II in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees are great, motivated and intelligent people that want to do constantly do their best. The work we do is very meaningful and fulfilling since it helps make life changing impacts to patients and their families.

Cons

Inconsistent messages from upper management. It's obvious the company wants to grow much larger but has done it the wrong way by not staying true to what got us there in the first place. Instead they took large risks that have not panned out and cost people their jobs. Think rabbit vs the turtle. It's clear we have mandates from Wall St. to be profitable two years ago but good science takes time and does not reward people looking for short cuts or grabbing low hanging fruit.
    Additionally, people in the technical sector of the company seem to have a different set of promotion requirements than other groups making it more difficult to move up or rather a different set of criteria to do so. I love that we have a group here of 10+ people where the lowest person in the group is a senior director. That was a stellar idea.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees (better pay, compensation, and holiday party maybe?). Clearly defined promotions, instead of it going to a committee with vague feedback from groups that have no understanding what you have accomplished. Remember when we used to get ISO's (stock)?? That would be nice. Stop listening to Wall St. Stop taking idiotic risks. Stay closer to the core values that got us here in the first place. There are no short cuts or "good" get rich quick business deals in science. You are not smarter than the genentechs, pfizers, Amgen's etc.of the world. If they pass on a drug its probably for a reason. There are plenty of great internal ideas that need adequate time and resources to develop. Don't ditch them for a "great value" deal that just soaks up the very limited resources we have.

"The truth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, interesting therapeutic area, new staff less than year nice, nice facility

Cons

Too many silos, too many clicks, not innovative enough, to much favoritism

Advice to Management

Allow and acknowledge the true workers not just because they are your friends. Give more trust to workers to build morale. Be fair

"Regulatory Affairs"

Current Employee - Senior Regulatory Affairs Associate in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Regulatory Affairs Associate in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands-on experience working on regulatory projects.

Mid-size company allows you to wear many hats.

Lots of exciting programs with aggressive goals.

Collaborative environment.

People are committed and driven.

Cons

Not much negative to say. It would be great if the company could connect and celebrate employees at offsite like we used to.

Advice to Management

Need support from Management for career learning and growth to keep top talents around.

"Research"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice labs with plenty of opportunities to learn new skills. Interesting research going on and widely seen as an up and coming company in terms of product success. People are friendly and valid concerns are dealt with in a timely manner.

Cons

Bad management and work life balance. Limited lunch options within walking distance. Located in the north bay so commuting is a problem. This was my first job out of college. The experience was great but the cons definitely out way the pros.

Advice to Management

Decide on the role of new hires before hiring them. Young professionals coming straight from academia often need some mentor ship. 30 minutes a week to talk about research, work flow, and feedback would have gone a long way.

7. "manufacturing Associate"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, nice coffee, not bad benefit

Cons

need better management, better compensation and need to appreciate employee more with a good individual development

"Lindaro Building, 4th floor - enter at your own peril"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great therapy area to be involved in

Cons

Where do I start...

Advice to Management

You need to stop fostering the bullying culture among your managers

9. "SAS programmer"

Current Employee - SAS Consultant in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - SAS Consultant in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and flexibility options

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

Advice to Management

none

"BioMarin: once great, now rapidly declining"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BioMarin has the basic benefits similar to other companies. The work is interesting but it comes at a price.

Cons

BioMarin used to be a great company but has declined a lot of the past 4 years. Many of the perks associated with a free-spirit small biotech are now gone or have been reduced to nothing...no more company sponsored lunches, monthly happy hours, various financial incentives are now gone, etc. The office spaces are tiny and crammed. The HR organization is entirely unapproachable if you have needs or have concerns about co-workers or manager....if you say or question anything you will be wearing a scarlet letter. Promotion and advancement is entirely subjective as there are no clear guidelines, the process lacks any consistency. Many people managers are terrible to deal with yet HR will do nothing to address employee concerns. As was previously stated, people leave bad managers not bad companies and BioMarin has no clue about this. Watching the company decline year after year is sad....

Advice to Management

Remember, it is happy and satisfied employees that keep this business functioning....

"Good People High Expectations"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, driven coworkers, compelling mission

Cons

It is a culture of workaholics. Rarely a 40h week.

Advice to Management

Be more generous with resources and give people more productivity training.