BioWare Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Andrew Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Employees are often brought in on contract and promised a full-time position if they perform to Bioware's standards (in 8 reviews)

• Higher ups have extreme attitude problem (in 3 reviews)

1. "BioWare Lifer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

BioWare has always had leadership that cares about its people. From the founders, Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, to the current GM Aaryn Flynn. The company is focused on creating some of the best games in the world and it shows in its track record of games, including the recent Dragon Age: Inquisition (GOTY).

BioWare's culture is defined by the statement "Quality in the Product and Quality in the Workplace". It is difficult to balance the needs of a project with the needs of the employees, but BioWare has done a good job of it over the years.

Cons

BioWare is a company that values open communication/critique. This can lead to stress as everyone's work is held to a high standard. If you enjoy a high performance culture, this might be a positive :-)

"A great place to learn the mmo game and a much better run game studio than most."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time

Pros

Talented, passionate people all over the place. I particularly want to call out the embedded QA analysts (if you get a contract QA position I highly recommend pursuing any of these opportunities that open up) and our community/marketing teams which do a really great job of engaging the community and looking through data to make sure that we're using our finite resources to develop parts of the game that keep players happy.

EA has great benefits - great medical/dental, 401k, employee stock purchase plan, charity donation matching, tuition reimbursement, active living benefit, free games, etc etc etc. EA has an 'evil empire' reputation, but they actually put a lot of effort in to taking care of their employees.

You'll have coworkers all over the age/gender/sexual orientation/racial/religious/political/diet/brogrammerness/shoe size map. It's not an echo chamber.

Not so much crunch time and boom-and-bust as other game studios. There aren't massive layoffs all the time and crunch time is kept pretty minimal compared to previous sudios I've been at.

I'll second the reviews saying communication from studio management is abundant and informative. You always know what the studio's goals are and how your role plays in to it.

Cons

I agree with the reviews lamenting the contract vs full time split. There's a place for contract-to-hire, but when half your staff is temp segregating them is really demoralizing. Fortunately managment uses temp positions much more sanely now.

The Heroblade middleware is pretty universally loathed.

There are a lot of negative reviews for the contract QA jobs, and yeah those jobs suck but they just kind of suck everywhere. If you can land an embedded job you're going to have a highly respected role and challenging work that affords you a lot of autonomy.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Things run much more smoothly now than they used to. I really look forward to the next cool projects to come out of the studio.

"Best/smartest company I've worked for"

Former Employee - Withheld in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Withheld in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Committed to product quality
    Committed to quality of life for employees
    Honest, committed management
    Company ran via analysis rather than emotion

Cons

Had challenges with integration with EA
    Loyalty to long term employees sometimes meant they were promoted beyond their capabilities

Advice to Management

Let Bioware be Bioware rather than EA!

4. "Great company with great values."

Former Employee - Environment Artist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Environment Artist in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great IPs to work with, lots of emphasis on personal input, management is open to listening to your ideas and is generally concerned with your work satisfaction. There was a really great emphasis on work/life balance as well.

Cons

I don't have too many cons to report. I had a great experience during my tenure at the studio.

Advice to Management

I really admire the company's core values. Keep adhering to them and you'll have a satisfied and enthusiastic team.

"Very challenging and satisfying."

Current Employee - Outsourcing Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Outsourcing Coordinator in Austin, TX

Pros

Great work environment. Everyone is hardworking and excited about the product. There are a lot of team buiding events that make the weeks enjoyable.

Cons

The only down side is that it is a volatile industry. Gaming companies have to stay competitive, and thuse there is a lot of transitions that happen within the departments, and between companies in the gaming industry.

Advice to Management

Communication is a difficult aspect to manage in any company. Bioware has a lot of highly trained, technical people. These talented people dont necessarily communicate with eachother very well, however. My advice would be to cultivate leaders and managers that can pull these talented people together, and leverage their skills more effectively.

6. "Artist"

I worked at BioWare full-time

Pros

Good environment . Good people.

Cons

Location is not good. Too cold.

"Feels like home"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at BioWare (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people, great live work balance. Literally a big family.
    - Lots of exciting challenges
    - Lots of love from gaming communities and cosplayers
    - Free breakfast, lots of swags and nice perks

Cons

- Products and solutions can be repetitive.
    - Hierarchy is strong, very hard to challenge senior technical people.
    - Very difficult to find the 'meat' of the game .
    - Put itself in tight deadlines as it promises impossible things over and over.
    - Edmonton is tough if you like a urban/hipster life.

Advice to Management

Focus on less content but high quality content.
    Look forward and not sideways, try thinking ahead. What is it that players want to play 3 years from now?

8. "Solid company that cares about its people"

I have been working at BioWare full-time

Pros

Passionate team who care about making high quality products

Cons

Creativity limited by external requirements

9. "Culture of Excellence"

Current Employee - Art Director in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Art Director in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

BioWare rewards hard work and dedication with opportunity and growth. BioWare goes out of their way to make employees work-life comfortable and collaborative. Chance to work alongside worldclass teams, such as VFX, Character Art, Level Art and Cinematics.

Cons

Often BioWare is the target of wrongful assumptions and scrutiny.

10. "Working With Some of the Best..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great opportunity to work with some of the top talent in the industry on incredible IP.
    - Studio has hugely experienced individuals at all three sites, in leadership and dev.
    - Fantastic culture; family oriented and friendly.

Cons

- Games are big and complex to make: can be a struggle for those new to the RPG genre.
    - Edmonton facility is outdated compared to Montreal and Austin.
    - BioWare's desire to retain their sense of self can be at odds with EA on occasion.

Advice to Management

- Stay the course: continue to invest in talented individuals.
    - Be aware of career growth for all staff.