BioWare Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Andrew Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with, good focus on work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Positive helpful work environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Connection means very little for future attempts at full-time work there (in 8 reviews)

• There is almost no room for advancement unless you're a friend of one of the 'old guard' (in 4 reviews)

"Very challenging and satisfying."

Current Employee - Outsourcing Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Outsourcing Coordinator in Austin, TX

Pros

Great work environment. Everyone is hardworking and excited about the product. There are a lot of team buiding events that make the weeks enjoyable.

Cons

The only down side is that it is a volatile industry. Gaming companies have to stay competitive, and thuse there is a lot of transitions that happen within the departments, and between companies in the gaming industry.

Advice to Management

Communication is a difficult aspect to manage in any company. Bioware has a lot of highly trained, technical people. These talented people dont necessarily communicate with eachother very well, however. My advice would be to cultivate leaders and managers that can pull these talented people together, and leverage their skills more effectively.

2. "Great company with great values."

Former Employee - Environment Artist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Environment Artist in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great IPs to work with, lots of emphasis on personal input, management is open to listening to your ideas and is generally concerned with your work satisfaction. There was a really great emphasis on work/life balance as well.

Cons

I don't have too many cons to report. I had a great experience during my tenure at the studio.

Advice to Management

I really admire the company's core values. Keep adhering to them and you'll have a satisfied and enthusiastic team.

"Best/smartest company I've worked for"

Former Employee - Withheld in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Withheld in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Committed to product quality
    Committed to quality of life for employees
    Honest, committed management
    Company ran via analysis rather than emotion

Cons

Had challenges with integration with EA
    Loyalty to long term employees sometimes meant they were promoted beyond their capabilities

Advice to Management

Let Bioware be Bioware rather than EA!

"A great place to learn the mmo game and a much better run game studio than most."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time

Pros

Talented, passionate people all over the place. I particularly want to call out the embedded QA analysts (if you get a contract QA position I highly recommend pursuing any of these opportunities that open up) and our community/marketing teams which do a really great job of engaging the community and looking through data to make sure that we're using our finite resources to develop parts of the game that keep players happy.

EA has great benefits - great medical/dental, 401k, employee stock purchase plan, charity donation matching, tuition reimbursement, active living benefit, free games, etc etc etc. EA has an 'evil empire' reputation, but they actually put a lot of effort in to taking care of their employees.

You'll have coworkers all over the age/gender/sexual orientation/racial/religious/political/diet/brogrammerness/shoe size map. It's not an echo chamber.

Not so much crunch time and boom-and-bust as other game studios. There aren't massive layoffs all the time and crunch time is kept pretty minimal compared to previous sudios I've been at.

I'll second the reviews saying communication from studio management is abundant and informative. You always know what the studio's goals are and how your role plays in to it.

Cons

I agree with the reviews lamenting the contract vs full time split. There's a place for contract-to-hire, but when half your staff is temp segregating them is really demoralizing. Fortunately managment uses temp positions much more sanely now.

The Heroblade middleware is pretty universally loathed.

There are a lot of negative reviews for the contract QA jobs, and yeah those jobs suck but they just kind of suck everywhere. If you can land an embedded job you're going to have a highly respected role and challenging work that affords you a lot of autonomy.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Things run much more smoothly now than they used to. I really look forward to the next cool projects to come out of the studio.

5. "BioWare Lifer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

BioWare has always had leadership that cares about its people. From the founders, Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, to the current GM Aaryn Flynn. The company is focused on creating some of the best games in the world and it shows in its track record of games, including the recent Dragon Age: Inquisition (GOTY).

BioWare's culture is defined by the statement "Quality in the Product and Quality in the Workplace". It is difficult to balance the needs of a project with the needs of the employees, but BioWare has done a good job of it over the years.

Cons

BioWare is a company that values open communication/critique. This can lead to stress as everyone's work is held to a high standard. If you enjoy a high performance culture, this might be a positive :-)

"Tough, great place to work"

Pros

BioWare develops great games, has a solid team, and supports their employees. Few other employers offer a similar challenge and scope of work.

Cons

Crushing schedules, face paced work environment can be overwhelming. Occasionally employees get railroaded into working on projects outside of their job description.

Advice to Management

This is a competitive industry and companies must push their employees to ship titles on time, however, maintaining your talent pool is also important. There must be a balance.

7. "I feel like I'm a part of something special."

Current Employee - Audio Lead
    Current Employee - Audio Lead

Pros

I have had some of the most memorable moments of my career here at Bioware, and working alongside people with such dedication to quality is truly an honor. We are proud of what we are making every day here, and it shows in the end result.

Cons

If you have never lived at this elevation and latitude, then you may not be ready for the cold climate here.

Advice to Management

Keep watching out for the little guy, and pushing the senior leadership within EA to raise the quality bar for our projects. We really appreciate it.

8. "Creative heaven"

Pros

lots of opertunities to share oppion
    shape universes
    create intricate characters

Cons

long hours
    long development time
    crouded

Advice to Management

more coca cola in the fridge

9. "You should work here."

Current Employee - QA Lead in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Lead in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Treated with respect, work with smart people, make video games, get paid well. What more do you want?

Cons

It's in Edmonton. Take that for what it's worth.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Overall, a great place to work!"

I worked at BioWare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment, very open line of communication with superiors. Information flow was superb. Pay was decent, and scheduling was flexible. Overall, a great place to work- I would recommend working here to anyone that can break in to the industry.

Cons

The gaming industry, owned by EA. Unfortunately, the industry can be very unforgiving, and when a game doesn't perform well (or as well as expected) operating costs get cut, which means people lose their jobs. Sometimes there is notice about being laid off, other times it is a very abrupt event.

Advice to Management

In all honesty, there isn't much to be said. Management was awesome- although the parent company's involvement was, in my opinion, very detrimental to the project.