Cover image for BioWare

BioWare

Is this your company?

BioWare

Add a Review

BioWare Employee Reviews about "studio"

Updated Nov 13, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 128 of over 128 reviews
3.8
75% Recommend to a Friend
83% Approve of CEO

Found 15 of over 128 reviews

3.8
BioWare CEO Andrew Wilson (no image)
Andrew Wilson

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "studio"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

A great place to learn the mmo game and a much better run game studio than most.

Feb 16, 2015 - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Talented, passionate people all over the place. I particularly want to call out the embedded QA analysts (if you get a contract QA position I highly recommend pursuing any of these opportunities that open up) and our community/marketing teams which do a really great job of engaging the community and looking through data to make sure that we're using our finite resources to develop parts of the game that keep players happy. EA has great benefits - great medical/dental, 401k, employee stock purchase plan, charity donation matching, tuition reimbursement, active living benefit, free games, etc etc etc. EA has an 'evil empire' reputation, but they actually put a lot of effort in to taking care of their employees. You'll have coworkers all over the age/gender/sexual orientation/racial/religious/political/diet/brogrammerness/shoe size map. It's not an echo chamber. Not so much crunch time and boom-and-bust as other game studios. There aren't massive layoffs all the time and crunch time is kept pretty minimal compared to previous sudios I've been at. I'll second the reviews saying communication from studio management is abundant and informative. You always know what the studio's goals are and how your role plays in to it.

Cons

I agree with the reviews lamenting the contract vs full time split. There's a place for contract-to-hire, but when half your staff is temp segregating them is really demoralizing. Fortunately managment uses temp positions much more sanely now. The Heroblade middleware is pretty universally loathed. There are a lot of negative reviews for the contract QA jobs, and yeah those jobs suck but they just kind of suck everywhere. If you can land an embedded job you're going to have a highly respected role and challenging work that affords you a lot of autonomy.

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Can be a good place

Mar 17, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Pay, Good Benefits, Nice People

Cons

Doesn't get the recognition the studio deserves compared to the main (Edmonton) studio.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Former Employee

One of the over-all, best places I've worked.

Oct 16, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people, for the most part are collaborative, smart, creative. The studio is awesome. The benefits are great.

Cons

Transparency seems to be an issue. Meeting or private space (open floor plan) can sometimes be an issue.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee

A studio barely clinging to life

Sep 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Opportunities to work on famous and popular AAA franchises - EA's pay and benefits are tops in the industry - Good facilities with lots of perks - Inclusive workplace that values and promotes diversity - There's a sincere effort to ensure work-life balance, but that's the first thing to disappear when a project catches fire

Cons

- Studio leadership is untrustworthy, unaccountable and obsessed with politics - Bad creative and business decisions are allowed to survive for years and destroy the projects that get stuck with them - Sub-studios are the public scapegoats for the Edmonton mothership's failures - Constant high turnover at all levels, with many replacement hires being temp workers who don't receive any benefits - After years of high-profile failures, fans and EA have lost faith in BioWare and left its future in doubt

12 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee

There are worse places to work

Nov 29, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company values work/life balance. Management genuinely seems to care about bringing employees into the fold in terms of decision making.

Cons

Constant change in upper management means a constant change in the studio direction. Not the best environment in the world to foster creativity.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Toxic environment for innovators and free-thinkers

Jul 13, 2015 - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

As far as major video game companies go, BioWare puts on a better show than many of acting like they truly care about employee quality of life rather than cost-benefit equation for assessing risk of disgruntled employees. There are some in low level leadership positions that actually do care. This care doesn't mean anything when it would change their bottom line, though, or change studio operations in any significant way.

Cons

When I first arrived, the work environment was great. Eventually all social conversation that didn't focus on video games, wardrobe or pop-culture were verbally shamed. People were clearly feeling ashamed that they didn't hold the same ethical standards that I and some others did, and chose to instead mock me for having empathy and refusing to be a socially narcissistic nihilist. The worst was when my team lead took it upon himself to mock me for giving feedback on how the workplace could be more conducive to the employees. It was over an issue I could sue over, and the workplace was completely in the wrong. Despite this, I didn't want to create the antagonism of a workplace lawsuit, so instead I brought up the merits of change, and the reasoning behind it. I will never forget the defensive reaction of my lead and the silence of HR, as though I was telling them to be ashamed. We worked in an environment that is supposed to thrive on criticism to make itself better. Instead it placed a high social barrier that is needed before criticisms would be considered from an individual. This is a highly toxic environment for people who like to innovate, adapt, and grow. I still have nightmares about a couple people in this company.

7 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Former Employee

Great company, but recent years suggest concern.

Aug 21, 2013 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great and supporting environment. The people mostly are excited about their projects. People try to be accommodating of real life. Bioware also creates great games consistently. Even the games that haven't sold as well are still respected. It's a great name to have on your resume. There are good opportunities to do cutting edge work.

Cons

Bioware has somewhat of a crunch atmosphere. Project schedules tend to run tight and there are year or longer crunches and sometimes perpetual ones with little breaks. Crunch has always been seen as necessary. In the past, there was a camaraderie that made this tolerable. It felt like the company had your back. By the time I left, there was a growing sense of uncertainty. It felt like layoffs could happen any time to anybody. Just one bad project and everyone would be out the door. Bio used to value people over projects, but now that seems reversed. It is possible that this trend will reverse again with shifts in leadership at EA, but be aware, I've heard of people move and then getting laid off within months. Also be aware that each Bio studio is different. Edmonton, Montreal, and Austin are all somewhat different.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great complete overview of the games industry as an entry level employee.

Dec 29, 2012 - Platform QA Engineer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great People Good learning experience Can learn many aspects of business from here

Cons

At the time it was a very large studio with 500+ people. So there is a lot of bureaucracy to communicate with anyone not part of your team. The approval processes and number of meetings can occasionally be disruptive to work flow.

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great company with great values.

Dec 27, 2012 - Environment Artist in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great IPs to work with, lots of emphasis on personal input, management is open to listening to your ideas and is generally concerned with your work satisfaction. There was a really great emphasis on work/life balance as well.

Cons

I don't have too many cons to report. I had a great experience during my tenure at the studio.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee

It is truly a learning experience

Jul 17, 2012 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can learn a lot about the game industry.

Cons

The game industry is based on people's extra income and as that shrinks, so does the studio.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 Reviews