BioWare "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

BioWare Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Feels like home"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at BioWare (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people, great live work balance. Literally a big family.
    - Lots of exciting challenges
    - Lots of love from gaming communities and cosplayers
    - Free breakfast, lots of swags and nice perks

Cons

- Products and solutions can be repetitive.
    - Hierarchy is strong, very hard to challenge senior technical people.
    - Very difficult to find the 'meat' of the game .
    - Put itself in tight deadlines as it promises impossible things over and over.
    - Edmonton is tough if you like a urban/hipster life.

Advice to Management

Focus on less content but high quality content.
    Look forward and not sideways, try thinking ahead. What is it that players want to play 3 years from now?

"A studio barely clinging to life"

I have been working at BioWare full-time

Pros

- Opportunities to work on famous and popular AAA franchises
    - EA's pay and benefits are tops in the industry
    - Good facilities with lots of perks
    - Inclusive workplace that values and promotes diversity
    - There's a sincere effort to ensure work-life balance, but that's the first thing to disappear when a project catches fire

Cons

- Studio leadership is untrustworthy, unaccountable and obsessed with politics
    - Bad creative and business decisions are allowed to survive for years and destroy the projects that get stuck with them
    - Sub-studios are the public scapegoats for the Edmonton mothership's failures
    - Constant high turnover at all levels, with many replacement hires being temp workers who don't receive any benefits
    - After years of high-profile failures, fans and EA have lost faith in BioWare and left its future in doubt

Advice to Management

- Reconnect with what made past BioWare games great and let it be the focus of future projects
    - Clean house in the upper management's ranks to bring in fresh blood that won't be distracted trying to settle old grudges
    - Give employees a good reason to stay besides the paycheck

3. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, BioWare is a great place to work. I feel very much supported by my team in my day to day job, as well as in my efforts for self-improvement. I have great work-life balance. I also have a lot of autonomy in my job and room for innovation.

Great benefits. Super fun and relaxed environment.

Cons

I feel really lucky on my team. The pros mentioned are not the case on every team. For example, I don't have to work the crunch that is usual for the large majority of people.

Like most companies, there are a lot of political games. People are clique-y and there is a sense of inter-team friction.

"One of the best game companies out there"

Current Employee - 3D Artist in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - 3D Artist in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at BioWare (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Bioware cares about its employees. Benefits are nice, and Bioware has a good life and work balance( of course there is always crunch when the game is at its final stage.)
    -Most of the time , the higher ups listen to our feedback.
    -Aim for a very high quality game.
    -When the game needs more time, most of the time is given by EA to ensure Bioware ships great titles.
    -Friendly work environment.
    -Very open to trying new 3D software to improve the pipeline.
    -Employees are actually rewarded and recognized for doing exceptional work.
    -I have been working in the industry for almost 12 years in a few companies, I can assure Bioware is one of the best one overall.
    -A lot of very talented people in the industry working for Bioware. It's a great feeling when you can trust your co worker to have the common goal to deliver great product.

Cons

-Politics. But I have been in the industry long enough to know politics exists at every game studio.
    Bioware has the least amount of it.

"Was good until it wasn't"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, good focus on work life balance. Very progressive in terms of people - very inclusive and goes out of their way to make sure that people feel taken care of. Felt like the top of the management tried to take care of all of the employees as a group.

Cons

Project-level leadership can act petty at times. Management shies from confrontation, which can result in employees feeling blindsided by things. When I was let go, I felt like I didn't really have a good metric of what it was that caused me to be let go - one manager was totally fine with me and gave me good reviews, while his replacement did not.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and straightforward with what you expect from your employees. If there is a problem with performance, try to set more measurable/quantifiable goals.

6. "Designer"

Current Employee - Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of talented people, a relaxed work environment, frequent meals provided, excellent benefits and options for ESPP and 401k, very little crunch, great work/life balance.

Cons

difficult career progression, low salary

"There are worse places to work"

I worked at BioWare full-time

Pros

The company values work/life balance.
    Management genuinely seems to care about bringing employees into the fold in terms of decision making.

Cons

Constant change in upper management means a constant change in the studio direction.
    Not the best environment in the world to foster creativity.

Advice to Management

In my 6 years there, we had 6 different studio heads who all wanted to do 6 radically different things. Maybe just keep one guy around for more than a year.

"The company takes care of it's people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A very professional work environment made up of senior developers who have been around the rodeo a few times. Extraordinarily talented people with a wealth of ideas and aspirations. One of the best places for a work/life balance

Cons

There is often a lack of higher direction or, more actually, and difficulty locking down that direction. The management tries to include everyone, which is nice but can be detrimental when schedule pressure you to set a course and stick to it.

Advice to Management

Management needs to establish direction sooner and make a commitment to that direction. They try with the best intentions and it is not an easy thing at all but that is the one area where I see frustration.

"Interesting experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a lot of very top notch engineers working there.
     The people were generally nice
     Great work / life balance compared to other game studios

Cons

The tiered title hierarchy made it hard to move up
    Lots of contractors coming and going
    Not afraid to lay people off and rehire replacements

Advice to Management

Focus on employee growth more

"A caring, highly motivated place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This studio has some of the best talent I've ever had the pleasure of working with. A huge majority of the staff is sharp, passionate, but still family-friendly. There are a great deal of developers here with their own families, so the work/life balance is admirable. Very good pay and benefits.

Cons

I can still see some people, or even whole teams, that work a lot of hours during milestones. In some cases I think this is more due to lackluster anticipation of the actual needs to finish the product.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is giving absolute, honest estimates about work required. Projects are so huge these days, and the utmost care needs to be taken to make sure that all departments stay on the same page.