BioWare "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

BioWare Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, BioWare is a great place to work. I feel very much supported by my team in my day to day job, as well as in my efforts for self-improvement. I have great work-life balance. I also have a lot of autonomy in my job and room for innovation.

Great benefits. Super fun and relaxed environment.

Cons

I feel really lucky on my team. The pros mentioned are not the case on every team. For example, I don't have to work the crunch that is usual for the large majority of people.

Like most companies, there are a lot of political games. People are clique-y and there is a sense of inter-team friction.

"Was good until it wasn't"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, good focus on work life balance. Very progressive in terms of people - very inclusive and goes out of their way to make sure that people feel taken care of. Felt like the top of the management tried to take care of all of the employees as a group.

Cons

Project-level leadership can act petty at times. Management shies from confrontation, which can result in employees feeling blindsided by things. When I was let go, I felt like I didn't really have a good metric of what it was that caused me to be let go - one manager was totally fine with me and gave me good reviews, while his replacement did not.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and straightforward with what you expect from your employees. If there is a problem with performance, try to set more measurable/quantifiable goals.

3. "Designer"

Current Employee - Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of talented people, a relaxed work environment, frequent meals provided, excellent benefits and options for ESPP and 401k, very little crunch, great work/life balance.

Cons

difficult career progression, low salary

"There are worse places to work"

I worked at BioWare full-time

Pros

The company values work/life balance.
    Management genuinely seems to care about bringing employees into the fold in terms of decision making.

Cons

Constant change in upper management means a constant change in the studio direction.
    Not the best environment in the world to foster creativity.

Advice to Management

In my 6 years there, we had 6 different studio heads who all wanted to do 6 radically different things. Maybe just keep one guy around for more than a year.

"The company takes care of it's people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A very professional work environment made up of senior developers who have been around the rodeo a few times. Extraordinarily talented people with a wealth of ideas and aspirations. One of the best places for a work/life balance

Cons

There is often a lack of higher direction or, more actually, and difficulty locking down that direction. The management tries to include everyone, which is nice but can be detrimental when schedule pressure you to set a course and stick to it.

Advice to Management

Management needs to establish direction sooner and make a commitment to that direction. They try with the best intentions and it is not an easy thing at all but that is the one area where I see frustration.

"Interesting experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a lot of very top notch engineers working there.
     The people were generally nice
     Great work / life balance compared to other game studios

Cons

The tiered title hierarchy made it hard to move up
    Lots of contractors coming and going
    Not afraid to lay people off and rehire replacements

Advice to Management

Focus on employee growth more

"A caring, highly motivated place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This studio has some of the best talent I've ever had the pleasure of working with. A huge majority of the staff is sharp, passionate, but still family-friendly. There are a great deal of developers here with their own families, so the work/life balance is admirable. Very good pay and benefits.

Cons

I can still see some people, or even whole teams, that work a lot of hours during milestones. In some cases I think this is more due to lackluster anticipation of the actual needs to finish the product.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is giving absolute, honest estimates about work required. Projects are so huge these days, and the utmost care needs to be taken to make sure that all departments stay on the same page.

"Overall a great company to work for"

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company values focused on people and a really good work/life balance

Cons

not enough career opportunities to move up

Advice to Management

Provide more career opportunities of growth internally of the company

"A great company in a mediocre city"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at BioWare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. A lot of employees are older, with kids; as a result, the focus is on sustainable work practices rather than a bunch of twenty-somethings competing to see who can work the most hours in a week. Although crunch does occur now and then, the company makes an effort to minimize it. Lots of friendly, intelligent coworkers. Generous time off allowance at Christmas. Free breakfast. Plenty of opportunities to work on high-profile, AAA projects. Good job security; although there have been selected layoffs, BioWare has largely been unaffected by sweeping cuts. The studio general manager, Aaryn Flynn is a genuinely nice guy who cares about his employees. Alberta has the lowest tax rate in all of Canada.

Cons

Edmonton is an ugly, boring city. The winters are cold, dark and long -- and as a result, BioWare has a tough time recruiting new talent. There is no significant "tech" presence in the city; if you get laid off, your only other option is to go work for the oilfield. Cost of living in Edmonton is high (although not as high as say, Vancouver.) Salaries are lower than what you could be making elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Be daring & confident -- blaze your own trail rather than constantly trying to follow in the footsteps of other successful games. Be accountable -- recognize and correct failures of leadership. Continue to hire aggressively from around the industry. Raise salaries to attract and retain top talent.

10. "Great company with great values."

Former Employee - Environment Artist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Environment Artist in Austin, TX

I worked at BioWare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great IPs to work with, lots of emphasis on personal input, management is open to listening to your ideas and is generally concerned with your work satisfaction. There was a really great emphasis on work/life balance as well.

Cons

I don't have too many cons to report. I had a great experience during my tenure at the studio.

Advice to Management

I really admire the company's core values. Keep adhering to them and you'll have a satisfied and enthusiastic team.