Bioclinica Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Bioclinica President & CEO John Hubbard
John Hubbard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I also respect the company for the work-life-balance approach (in 13 reviews)

• Ability to Work from Home when needed (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Bioclinica will continue to lose talented people as the work/life balance becomes intolerable (in 12 reviews)

• High turnover rate so the department is always short-staffed (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Opportunity, Few Dull Moments"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doylestown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doylestown, PA

I have been working at Bioclinica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bioclinica has certainly been a journey from day one. I have been with the company for a year and 4 months, and I have learned so much in that time. I can see a difference in how I've built relationships, learned about the industry (which I was never in prior to Bioclinica, or my role itself), interactions with employees on all levels, my performance, how I take charge of my own development, and how I communicate with my manager and team. If there is any constant at Bioclinica, it is change. I feel there is a lot of opportunity here if you seek it, and there is rarely a dull moment. For me, those are both huge positives to the workplace and learning culture at Bioclinica. I also respect the company for the work-life-balance approach.

Cons

The cons to Bioclinica would perhaps be change- ONLY if anyone does not deal well with change. You need to be flexible, adaptable, and have a positive attitude if you want to endure and succeed here.

Advice to Management

Keep improving your departmental training with your teams.

"I'm just glad I quit prior to killing myself! My best paying, worst employer to date."

Former Employee - Clinical Operations Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Clinical Operations Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Bioclinica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility - As long as you're willing to make up the time or take it as PTO, you can come and go as you please.
    Benefits - Very good in this regard.

Cons

Middle management lies and cares more about hiring friends/family than those best suited for the position. They'll say you didn't get the position due to your behavior, but the behavior they're referring to is the complaints they receive from particular employees that have to work with limited resources to complete their daily tasks in a timely fashion.

Cost-of-living raises come on average once every six years and will only be approx. 3%.

Also, they don't replace employees that leave but instead pile the work on others with no compensation. If you're lucky you may receive a BioBravo award for your efforts LOL. However, that's only if your manager puts you in for it. So you could probably imagine who would be chosen for these.

Advice to Management

To middle managers, what kind of behavior is acceptable? You think going around stating that an Ex-CEO prior to the Synarc/BioClinica merge was sleeping with his receptionist is acceptable (as you deny it but know it's true), but then decline promotion to an employee based off their behavior when it's complaints about work resources to complete daily tasks. Like... Seriously.

"to the next inevitable disgruntled employee"

Pros

Its character building ! When you hit rock bottom , you invariably have to go up.

Cons

Medici was founded on the basis of one intelligent woman who had exactly one semi intelligent idea to whitepaper a generic flow of events in the clinical trials recruitment industry . She has since tried to fit every client request, whether square or hexagonal, into this round hole.
    The CEO seems to work a lot of hours but you will discover that this is a direct vestige of a need to maintain autocratic control of every step of every process. When a company recruits people, the long game would be to invest in the success of its employees while giving them the latitude to achieve the long and short term goals of the organisation. Insert your own team building metaphor here; you will find the contrary at Medici.

High attrition is a misleading term for Medici. Revolving door is more accurate if you include getting your arm stuck in said door and grease on your outfit. Here people are seen as fungible commodities. Look around yourself. Tomorrow or the day after the person around you will have left or have been managed out. Professional life on a good day here includes having doubt in your own value to contribute as a direct result of being constantly and publicly undermined by the CEO and / or her partner ( I'll get to this natural disaster later).
    When you've lost favor with either of these two, your nightmare is about to take a turn for the worse. There are juvenile games played to isolate you in office meetings and gossip mongering emanating from the top with twisted details of your personal life. You will question your own sanity when, not if, you reach these final laps on your excruciating Medici journey. The silver lining is that if you are being maligned here you will soon be put out of your misery. An impending firing is the equivalent of euthanasia. The ones that remain have a shortage of career options. Evolution doubters, please take note. This is reverse Darwinism at work.

One could write an anthology on the ineptitude of the CEOs partner displayed on a minute by minute basis but I'm not going to attempt that. Given my life is finite, I'd sooner attempt to count all of the drops in all of the oceans. Suffice it to say for the purpose of the reader here that whether you work directly for him or not, you might be subject to profanity, spitting rage and jail warden style disciplining.
    You'd struggle to find a fictional character that encompasses all his characteristics. His job is and facts surrounding it are nakedly shady. There is no basis to the data that comes of his office. Two plus two is whatever you want it to be. You're forgiven if you have assumed that the term partner is used here in strictly professional sense of the word. This is the CEO's man meat, a fact that he not only regularly cites but also adequately displays by continuing the domestic fight from last night with his partner , in front of everybody, while on a conference call with a client, loudly. Personally, I just found this bit entertaining. Where's the bag of popcorn when you need it.

Thats right sucker. This literally is a mom and pop shop. Mom and pop dont always get along and you are the short bus riding step child.

In this environment of reckless nepotism, profligate use of client dollars and shocking lack of ethics the other employees have been corralled into being divisive and bitter toward each other. While working at Medici, it will be easy to internalize the degradation that forms the core of the management philosophy, but try to remember that this raging ulcer of a job here will soon be removed from your life. Hopefully you wont have to endure many client conference calls with regurgitated, meaningless metrics with scant practical implication solely there to dazzle, or rather distract clients from focusing on core desired outcomes.

Leaky pipes are never good news. Working at Medici will give you a brand new perspective on your disdain for a leaky pipe ( only those who joined or contracted with this entropy that they call a company are unfortunate enough to understand this comment).

This organisation is a rudderless ship captained by a deranged couple who don't know true North.
    You are, however, welcome to a donut every friday and the occasional banana. Use that for scale to measure your choices.

Advice to Management

Sell and retire.

Bioclinica Response

Feb 3, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review, all feedback is greatly appreciated at this time and the MediciGlobal & BioClinica HR teams are focussed on ensuring that all employees are engaged... More

"down the hill"

Pros

not much left since most of the good leadership is gone

Cons

lack of leadership.
    poor vision
    lack of oriotation

Advice to Management

take care of employees

"They will keep the money you have earned if you have an emergency (like your Father died)!"

I worked at Bioclinica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My boss was a good boss. I have no complaints about my manager.

Cons

I wish I spent more time looking for a job and checked their policies more carefully. This company has horrible policies. If you have an emergency, do not expect to get paid on the time you've earned. This company will steal your money...

Advice to Management

Be fair and pay your employees on the time they have earned.

"Clinical Data manager"

Former Employee - Data Reviewer in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Data Reviewer in Allentown, PA

I worked at Bioclinica (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible schedule . great co workers. beautiful work place. work from home option 1 day out the week

Cons

terrible management. over worked. only allow over time at the end of the month and required to meet the numbers no matter how long you had to work to reach it. All the upper manangement are friends. No pay increase. Terrible lack of leadership. can not work from home if unable to make it into the office even if you can work remotely from home with no issues. New hires are in different buildings and states so you cant really sit one on one with your manager. Too much employee turn around.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your friends. Stop hiring people that do not qualify for the postion. hire more workers. your staff has no personal time.

"The Negative Reviews Don't Even Begin To Tell The Real Story!"

Pros

Absolutely None - Stay Away!

Cons

Disorganized. No Training. No Direction. No Professionalism. Nepotism Runs Wild. Management Has No Clue! - Stay Away!

Advice to Management

Learn How The Real Corporate World Works!

Bioclinica Response

Feb 3, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Consultant

It's a shame that you feel this way, but we're still grateful that you've managed to take the time to provide us with feedback. With a new COO in place, Senior Management support, Organisation and... More

"Horrible management"

Pros

Flex hours, benefits, no overtime or weekend work.

Cons

There's so many, management had no clue what they were doing.

Advice to Management

Fire all of upper management and start over.

"Don't work here. Bad career move."

Former Employee - Assistant Clinical Project Manager in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Clinical Project Manager in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Bioclinica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. I seriously can't think of anything positive.

Cons

Worst job ever. No training provided. You will be expected to work 24/7. Good luck.

"Poor Upper Management."

Pros

The people, flexible hours, PTO and benefits are probably the best things about this job. Though, the benefits is average, nothing great.

Cons

Overworked employees without an even crappier raises. It doesn't matter how much time you put into your work, if you haven't worked there for a year, don't even think of getting a raise. Upper management is a joke. People get promoted based on who you know and who you are close with. Personally, my manager is great but even that person gets screwed over by upper management. The company is growing fast, we are getting more and more studies but they won't give us more people or any incentives to stay. The turnover is amazingly fast here. You can get the same job for way more pay after you've gotten the experience.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more.