Biogen Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Biogen CEO Michel Vounatsos
Michel Vounatsos

Pros
Cons
  • Maintaining a great work-life balance is your own responsibility (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to appreciate hard working people anymore and opt for a cheaper offshore workforce (in 27 reviews)

"Once a great company is now dead"

Current Employee - IT in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - IT in Weston, MA

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, PAY, the head of HR

Cons

Most if not all of the IT leadership. Remove CISO, from leadership ! because that person is unapproachable, and close minded . Have them focus on security and get out of the way !

Advice to Management

WAKE UP. Listen to the people doing the work. Have meaningful roundtables with people. DO NOT listen to any of VP's, SVP's of IT, they are only telling you want you want to hear ! Enough of the lip service and window dressing.

"I Do Not Recommend Working Here As A Temp"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Morrisville, NC
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Biogen as a contractor

Pros

It seems like a good place to work at as a full-time permanent employee. Coworkers are nice, security guards and cafeteria staff provide an at home feeling they remember everybody and are very friendly.

Cons

Although I do feel as if Biogen would be a decent place to work at as a full-time permanent employee my experience there was as a contractor in the patient services department and that was the longest 6 months of my life. They made sure you knew you were a temporary employee and nothing more. As a contractor you were not allowed to participate in anything they had going on. When I say nothing I mean nothing. They had team meetings that we were not allowed to attend. Celebrations for black history month, st. Patricks day, anything that was happening as a contractor in patient services you were not a part of it AT ALL !!! There was a lady handing out free Biogen pens outside of the cafeteria one day and some of the contractors accepted the promotional pen that was offered to them. This resulted in a 30 minute meeting about how us as contractors were not allowed to get anything. I want to add that this was the 1 and only meeting that we had ever there were not any meetings relaying how you were doing as an employee no feedback was given. One week before our contract was scheduled to end the contract employees were moved to a seduced area on a different floor in the building away from all of the other patient services representatives. This is not my first or even second contract assignment and I never felt so disregarded and disrespected at a position before. This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth about not only this company but as contracting altogether.

Advice to Management

Learn to be all inclusive. Your contract employees are important also because they are there to assist because you are in need of assistance at that moment but just because they are contractors doesn't give you the right to treat them as if they don't exsist and don't mean anything to you. It's down right hurtful and does not motivate someone to do their best for your company.

"Stay Away If You Are In Information Technology!"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of people doing the actual work.
    Benefits.

Cons

Understaffed.
    Bad upper and middle management.
    Employees undervalued.
    Clueless leadership.
    No career path or opportunities
    Management undervalue employees.
    Most teams consist of 1 person who does all the work (other companies have a team of individuals but Biogen doesn't. Management calls it "running lean").
    Not backfilling positions when people leave, or move to other areas.

Advice to Management

Stop running our company into the ground. Fire VP/Chief Information Security Officer. Start treating employees as people and understand the value that the employees bring. Hire CIO, VP, and directors that understand I.T. and Biopharma! Stop believing everything is great at Biogen and listen to the employees. Hire people. Stop overworking the staff that keeps the lights on.

"Patient care coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Biogen full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are ok

Cons

Huge liars,lack of direction, favoritism

"The Lost Sheep..."

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Gym
    -Great Benefits
    -Great Workers
    -Ok Food
    -Get A Paycheck
    -Get a Month Off after ~6 years of employment

Cons

-Always having ReOrg's aka Lay Offs
    -Buddy system when promotion time comes around
    -Upper management is clueless about the process
    -Directors threaten your job when you challenge them
    -Put the fate of the company in profits of one drug
    -No "real" diversity
    -Has a bad reputation amongst the Biotech/Pharma companies in the area

Advice to Management

My advice would be stop doing what you're doing and maybe your company will be close to what it was in the early 2000's.. Lastly stop giving under qualified people jobs just because you guys went to the same colleges!!!

7. "Deteriorating company with clueless mid/senior management"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Biogen as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

What was one a laundry list of pros has turned into practically nothing. Sorry but I can't think of a single positive reason to be working at Biogen as of today; and I've seen them go down the hill in the last 3.5 years that I've worked here.

Cons

The list is long; but the critical ones:
    - They'll expect you to work at least 50 hours a week while allowing only 40 hours of billing as a contractor.
    - No guidance provided by the Associate Directors, Directors and beyond other than just bullying and ranting impractical, unrealistic ideas; only to set you up and throw you under the bus when the time is right.
    - Zero sense of gratitude or appreciation for any significant/hard work done.
    - Excessive layers of management (Senior Managers, Associate Directors and Directors) relative to the size of IT organization. Think about under average college pass-outs day dreaming to build NASA rockets without knowing anything about space, technology, physics and astronomy). That's the present day quality of mid/senior management within IT.
    - Top level management doesn't care as they've already planned their exit; everyone under has no idea what to do with the existing pool or resources.
    - Too much politics, back-stabbing, bureaucracy and red-tape all around the campus at every level.

Advice to Management

If you have no idea what to do with the existing company after the new spinoff, just give up, move on and make way for people who will save this company from being an ultimate disaster. At least you'll be left with some respect in the eyes and views of all the resources (permanent or temp) who actually get the work done and not just pretend to be making baseless/useless plans like all of you up there.

"it department has some really incompetent managers"

Current Employee - Technology Middle Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Technology Middle Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company makes money, business and science teams are good but badly managed in the IT side.

Cons

people leave often out of frustration and indifference from the management.

Advice to Management

take a hard look at who you are hiring. Pay attention to the morale of your employee.

"Narcissistic hell hole"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Lexington, MA

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They create products that help people with serious illnesses. If I were someone with MS, I would be glad that this company exists...so long as I didn't actually meet anyone there.

Cons

Senior management are some of the most vile, careerist, unpleasant people you'll ever want to meet--particularly in the IT department.

Advice to Management

Sell to a company run by humans.

"Item spec revisor"

Former Contractor - Senior QC Associate in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Contractor - Senior QC Associate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Biogen as a contractor

Pros

people friendly at first. good hours, good pay

Cons

Poor management all over the building. I told them I would be coming to work a month in advance. The day I started they didnt know anything about it. Sat at my desk for 2 weeks because I could not get access to software to do my job. Then limited access to other databases. Mangager even admitte it was his fault. Who by the way managed a co. that went bankrupt and it was so bad one of the techs quit after working 30min.

Advice to Management

Straighten up there are other places to work

"Good old boys club"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

I guess good parking option in Cambridge.

Cons

a great deal of people have worked at this company ( and only at this company) for a while and think that whatever they do are right and can't be questioned. Biogen calls itself an innovative company? What innovative? If you questions somebody, make sure that you are on your way out. The company wants a bunch of yes-men. There is surely distrust in the management. Backstabbers get their way and HR is completely out of touch.

Advice to Management

Please quit