Biogen Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Biogen CEO Michel Vounatsos
Michel Vounatsos

Pros
Cons
  • Maintaining a great work-life balance is your own responsibility (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to appreciate hard working people anymore and opt for a cheaper offshore workforce (in 27 reviews)

1. "Not so good...."

Former Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, great location.

Cons

A lot of change, layoffs and constant reorganization.

Advice to Management

Stop make phony statements like "Care deeply and work fearlessly".

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits; access to training and development. Very competitive pay. Wonderful people below senior execs who really care about patients and world class Dev Organization

Cons

New CEO is killing off what was great. McKinsey is running the show and people fear more layoffs. The executive team is totally out of touch with what is really happening. It's very sad. No one dares dissent.

Advice to Management

Go back to Merck

3. "Racist People"

I worked at Biogen full-time

Pros

-Pay is way above
    -Benefits are great
    -A few good people

Cons

-clicky
    -racist: seen many people of color leave to work elsewhere. they don't stay at biogen very long. Even during the hiring process felt like the hiring managers were questioning my academic credentials. Got the job anyway. Someone overheard a manager say that if I spoke more like a white person I would have been promoted.
    -laying people off without notice
    -lots of changing over the last year

Advice to Management

HR is racist. hiring process is racist. better training. recognize/reward people for good work.

"Once a great company is now dead"

Current Employee - IT in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - IT in Weston, MA

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, PAY, the head of HR

Cons

Most if not all of the IT leadership. Remove CISO, from leadership ! because that person is unapproachable, and close minded . Have them focus on security and get out of the way !

Advice to Management

WAKE UP. Listen to the people doing the work. Have meaningful roundtables with people. DO NOT listen to any of VP's, SVP's of IT, they are only telling you want you want to hear ! Enough of the lip service and window dressing.

"I Do Not Recommend Working Here As A Temp"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Morrisville, NC
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Biogen as a contractor

Pros

It seems like a good place to work at as a full-time permanent employee. Coworkers are nice, security guards and cafeteria staff provide an at home feeling they remember everybody and are very friendly.

Cons

Although I do feel as if Biogen would be a decent place to work at as a full-time permanent employee my experience there was as a contractor in the patient services department and that was the longest 6 months of my life. They made sure you knew you were a temporary employee and nothing more. As a contractor you were not allowed to participate in anything they had going on. When I say nothing I mean nothing. They had team meetings that we were not allowed to attend. Celebrations for black history month, st. Patricks day, anything that was happening as a contractor in patient services you were not a part of it AT ALL !!! There was a lady handing out free Biogen pens outside of the cafeteria one day and some of the contractors accepted the promotional pen that was offered to them. This resulted in a 30 minute meeting about how us as contractors were not allowed to get anything. I want to add that this was the 1 and only meeting that we had ever there were not any meetings relaying how you were doing as an employee no feedback was given. One week before our contract was scheduled to end the contract employees were moved to a seduced area on a different floor in the building away from all of the other patient services representatives. This is not my first or even second contract assignment and I never felt so disregarded and disrespected at a position before. This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth about not only this company but as contracting altogether.

Advice to Management

Learn to be all inclusive. Your contract employees are important also because they are there to assist because you are in need of assistance at that moment but just because they are contractors doesn't give you the right to treat them as if they don't exsist and don't mean anything to you. It's down right hurtful and does not motivate someone to do their best for your company.

"Spent last few years in Development function"

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart scientists. Great location. People at the lower levels care about each other and there is good work life balance

Cons

No strategy or decision making and nothing seems to get completed. Every good idea or initiative loses steam halfway thru.

Advice to Management

Make a strategy and execute it. Stop listening only to people who tell you what you want to hear. Take the blinders off and the earplugs out.

"Stay Away If You Are In Information Technology!"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of people doing the actual work.
    Benefits.

Cons

Understaffed.
    Bad upper and middle management.
    Employees undervalued.
    Clueless leadership.
    No career path or opportunities
    Management undervalue employees.
    Most teams consist of 1 person who does all the work (other companies have a team of individuals but Biogen doesn't. Management calls it "running lean").
    Not backfilling positions when people leave, or move to other areas.

Advice to Management

Stop running our company into the ground. Fire VP/Chief Information Security Officer. Start treating employees as people and understand the value that the employees bring. Hire CIO, VP, and directors that understand I.T. and Biopharma! Stop believing everything is great at Biogen and listen to the employees. Hire people. Stop overworking the staff that keeps the lights on.

"Patient care coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Biogen full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are ok

Cons

Huge liars,lack of direction, favoritism

"high pay but unstable"

Former Employee - Manager in Zug (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Manager in Zug (Switzerland)

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits above market average. Office centrally located near train station and local facilities. Close to Zug lake for lunchtime walks if you can find the time.

Cons

Culture dominated by USA corporate headquarters which can be difficult going for staff with European culture. Very high workload and long hours (no time stamping). Hire/fire culture with poor job stability - layoffs every few years as well as frequent firing of single individuals. Many semi-compulsory evening / late night meetings with USA. Reputation for giving unfair work references to leavers. Very limited car parking.

Advice to Management

Collaborate and encourage instead of bully and threaten.

"The Lost Sheep..."

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Gym
    -Great Benefits
    -Great Workers
    -Ok Food
    -Get A Paycheck
    -Get a Month Off after ~6 years of employment

Cons

-Always having ReOrg's aka Lay Offs
    -Buddy system when promotion time comes around
    -Upper management is clueless about the process
    -Directors threaten your job when you challenge them
    -Put the fate of the company in profits of one drug
    -No "real" diversity
    -Has a bad reputation amongst the Biotech/Pharma companies in the area

Advice to Management

My advice would be stop doing what you're doing and maybe your company will be close to what it was in the early 2000's.. Lastly stop giving under qualified people jobs just because you guys went to the same colleges!!!