Biogen Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Maintaining a great work-life balance is your own responsibility (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management has agenda that does not respect employees (in 29 reviews)

1. "Good company"

I have been working at Biogen full-time

Pros

Vision of the company is focused and promising.

Cons

Getting big and bureaucracy is hard to avoid

"Cultural rot from layoffs and re-orgs"

I have been working at Biogen full-time

Pros

Good Benefits, although they are scaling some back quietly since the start of this year.

Cons

The culture has changed for the worse over the last 2.5-3 years, with now being the worst I have ever seen it. The amount of re-orgs in such a short period of time has left everyone feeling exhausted and burnt out. Every 2-3 months it is a constant drumbeat of actual layoffs, rumors of layoffs, restructurings or management openly talking about consulting firms reviewing our processes & streamlining in a condescending manner. It leaves the employees who have stayed and hung on over the last few years looking over their shoulder and playing politics for survival than actually working to advance the company forward.

Biogen has greatly shifted towards an endless game of ruthless politics. Politics is the number 1 thing for many areas of the company. Those who are highly skilled and good workers that produce are often marginalized, taken advantage of and passed over. A co-worker who is a high performer was told by their manager last month that he cannot advance up a level in 2018 /2019 because he does not "sell himself" enough (politicking) and focuses too much on his work product speaking for itself. Honestly, I thought he does a solid job playing politics when needed. But to management, its not enough. But doesn't that speak volumes of cultural rot?

Other comments about it being a ghost town in the summer nailed it. Taking it one step further.. Friday's all year round , the office is empty and most sign-off by noon/1pm. Its a joke.

The work culture is very odd. As mentioned above, all year round, there is really only 4 working days each week at Biogen. In the summer, Mondays and Fridays are dead, so it becomes really 3 days. Then you have the mid-September to thanksgiving rush to get all the team's goals completed. December becomes a wash and the new year starts with a fresh set of rumors and Jan-May is spent with people/teams reacting as such by playing politics and sizing up what strategic projects will save them.

Advice to Management

After this re-org is complete, please take a breather on cuts and communicate it as such. You have no idea how many of your star employees are ready to jump ship and how many external prospects refuse to apply due to severe uncertainties.

Also, can you be please be a little less smug in the town halls and talking down to us like we're a bunch of unaccomplished slobs? This attitude among the newer executives that we're all a bunch of backwards rubes and they're now here to show us how its done, is not going over too well with the masses. Especially since we all know most of you came in with little competition.

3. "supply chain"

Pros

salary. Makes you appreciate any other company. I see no other pros.

Cons

Worst company to work for. Incompetent management promotes the worst since fears competition. Culture ot terror, betrayal and bullying. Promotions are given to the least competent. Culture of back stabbing.

Advice to Management

Sell it to some better pharma company

"It's been a rough few years. Too many layoffs and good people gone."

Current Employee - Scientist I in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Scientist I in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Exciting science. Great chance to learn new skills and collaborate with others. Salary is nice. Great benefits. Flexible hours.

Cons

Management doesn't know what they're doing. Typical corporate BS. Lots of captains. Not enough soldiers. They always complain that not enough is developed in house, but then they lay off a bunch of people and wonder why.

Advice to Management

We could do fine with half of you gone.

"Things have definitely changed over the last couple of years"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, summer hours, Thursday happy hour, enough money (generally) to purchase equipment, average pay + bonuses

Cons

There is a general problem with management - they don't/won't/can't manage! Little interest in people's career development, advancement, or dealing with issues. There's a 'go along to get along' mentality among the management teams. Always a reorg coming around the corner and people scrambling for cover. Managers are unable/unwilling to articulate their vision, if it even exists.

Morale issues in Technical Development - people lie/cheat/steal to get ahead and this is encouraged by the current administration. People steal the work of others and claim it as their own while management refuses to address the issue even when provided with overwhelming evidence.

Company takes surveys and then ignores the results/comments. VP's don't want to hear anything negative and the line management refuses to communicate issues upwards as it might reflect poorly on them.

Numerous groups don't believe in cultural/ethnic diversity and these managers use this to their advantage to bully and intimidate subordinates. These managers won't delegate any responsibility to their team then complain about how busy they are, won't reply to emails, or VM's. They also refuse to take accountability when deliverables are late or just plain wrong.

Some dept heads won't hire the best candidates if they feel like 'threatened' (i.e, 'I am incompetent and they might take my job') by the skills/talents/experience of a prospective employee. Thus you're left dealing with people who can't execute, which leads to a variety of issues.

Wasn't always like this but the culture has changed following numerous reorganizations, which often don't make any sense. Place is like a ghost town in the summer - people have checked out and often 'work from home'.

Advice to Management

Get out of your offices and talk to the people actually doing the work. Hold people accountable when there are actionable issues. Listen to your employees.

"Good company, but unsettled"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Colleagues are friendly and it's a very collaborative environment.

Cons

Consulting company's presence is a huge red flag, no matter how upper management tries to spin it. People are nervous and "process improvement" is fancy talk for "lay offs." I'd be careful accepting an offer from Biogen until things settle.

Advice to Management

Openness is essential. Paranoia is high and no communication = green light to start looking elsewhere for more career stability.

"Changing culture and not really for the best"

Current Employee - Manager in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Weston, MA

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent work life balance but high expectations to be available at odd hours if a project demands it.
    Good benefits and fair compensation (aligns with industry)

Cons

Reorganizing and consulting company analyzing processes...how can you analyze something that is a moving target? People are constantly looking over their shoulder because they are paranoid about the next layoff which has been clearly coming based on CEO stating there is a goal to streamline processes and a consulting company analyzing processes that have been in a state of flux for a couple of years...

Advice to Management

You need to transparent because people don't trust the leadership anymore.

8. "Government Affairs"

I have been working at Biogen full-time

Pros

Good job in Government Affairs

Cons

I do not see any cons

"This is the company to work for."

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Biogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours
    Fantastic Benefits
    Employee friendly work environment

Cons

Employees stay forever, hard to find advancement to management unless willing to relocate.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

10. "Biogen RTP"

Current Employee - Quality Control Associate I in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Quality Control Associate I in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, lots of opportunities available to grow

Cons

So far my time here has been awesome, no known Cons