Biolife Plasma Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Biolife Plasma Services Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great benefits and compensation for your time (in 27 reviews)

• You get a lot of interaction with many people, and the pay is good when you are starting out of school (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad work/life balance can be difficult (in 21 reviews)

• Very short breaks and long hours (in 8 reviews)

1. "Broken Arrow, OK"

Former Employee - Pct in Broken Arrow, OK
    Former Employee - Pct in Broken Arrow, OK

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wow, not many pros. Pay was decent, insurance was eh. Co-workers were ok (majority were out for themselves, there were a couple that helped no matter who you were)

Cons

Where do I start. If you have a degree this is not the job to pay your student loans and move up in. If I had to put a number on it maybe, 10% with a Bachelors or high that work there (now that I left probably 9%). If you are a male and have a degree, management seems to take this as a threat, apparently (no matter how many times you apply, there is no upward mobility for you) If you are a female you have a chance, if you are cute and a female your chance just got higher. This company does not value that talent that it has (although there are a very few there). Though they are under new management, I see no changes. As before I left, it was relapsing back to old habits.

Advice to Management

Give employees that actually deserve the positions a chance, they might surprise you. Nepotism has to stop, it never works for companies. Show your staff that you appreciate them more, not because you like one gender over your own. If you choose to go to work here, do not do anything that is not required of you, it will be a waste of time.

"Amazon Job but Poor Management"

Former Employee - Screener in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Screener in State College, PA

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is really nice, the job it self is fairly easy once you get the hang of it, the training is good, and the benefits are amazing even for a part timer.

Cons

The management team is extremely poor. Some of the employee that have been there for years are very into everyone else business and make it their business. When service dies they send you home. You will be schedule for 30 hours but may only work 16 do to slow business.

Advice to Management

Stay to yourself, stay on top of your training, and make sure keep your social life to yourself. The friendliest employess will be the ones to be snacks along with managers.

3. "Not Too Shabby"

Current Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, management takes your suggestions into account and works with you as far as scheduling.

Cons

Benefits change often, hardly any overtime, hours are based on seniority.

Advice to Management

Work as a team with all employees

5. "Senior Plasma Center Technition"

Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Ames, IA

Pros

Friendly people to work with, fast paced environment, and a decent schedule for people looking for a part time job while they are at school.

Cons

Alot of standing around, Sometimes can be very very slow and boring, sometimes can be very very busy and stressful, low pay for what you are responsible for.

6. "Senior Plasma Center Technician"

Current Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Douglasville, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Douglasville, GA

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling for full or part time employment

Cons

You're on your feet all day

7. "Center Supervisor"

Current Employee - Center Supervisor in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Center Supervisor in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment. I have the pleasure of working with some great people but I'm sure that varies location to location. Time absolutely flies in this environment.

If you're focused and dedicated to your work and not just coming to work to kill time, then you can advance very quickly.

Cons

Hours can get a little unpredictable depending on your job title. Once you get above the Advanced Plasma Technician pay grade, ypu no longer have set hours. Sometimes you can be at work until 9:30pm and have to be back at 5:00am the next day. That's not a problem for some, but can be for others.

Benefits are good, but the starting pay isn't in line with the type of staff they want. There is a lot asked of you and if you're not looking to advance or if you're not a young person just looking for experience, it's hard to justify taking a "career" with pay this low.

Advice to Management

Most centers that I've worked at have a management team that helps to a fault. I think the idea is to be out in the areas to show that we're all here together working as a team and I get that, but the best centers I've seen are ones that have management doing management tasks and production staff doing production tasks.

"Good entry level company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, AR

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent to good salary for entry level employees. Great environment to learn how to work. By this, I mean it can be a stressful environment. Quick paced, push for productivity. Can learn good customer service skills. When you make bad Veinipuncture, you have to get donor to work with you to agree for a second try, or help them understand issues.

Cons

Hard work for your money earned. Can be good place for advancement, but if you don't put out your best, it won't be your best environment. Highly regulated, someone is standing over you quite often. If you are nervous about being watched doing your job, this isn't the place for you.
    Usually only part time employment for a good amount of time, quite the push for just PT. If you need to feed your family, go elsewhere. If you want to be off on Saturday, or at 5pm, GO ELSEWHERE

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. You HAVE to do more on the work life balance.

"Great training and opportunities for college students"

Current Employee - Adv Plasma Center Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Adv Plasma Center Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great foot in the door opportunity for college students who are in the biological science degree majors. Management is always willing to help you. Great team work and friendly environment to work around. Always room for personal advancement and promotion if you put in the hard work!

Cons

Can be stressful at times but what job doesn't involve stress? The salary or pay could be better compared to the national average. Hard to maintain a social life considering the centers are mostly open 6 days a week. Tuition reimbursement for college students could be paid out better from my understanding you have to wait year round to be reimbursed for your school fees perhaps if they reimbursed on a semester based period it would be beneficial.

Advice to Management

Provide each shift with the proper number of employees to avoid delayed processing times during rushes.

"Fast Paced Job - Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Plasma Center Technician in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Plasma Center Technician in Joplin, MO

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits were better than any healthcare facility I have worked at. The rate of pay was higher, the health insurance was less expensive and had better coverage, and loads of paid time off without a waiting period for use. They even gave me two months time off to try to recover from an illness that ended up being permanent, but said that if I were to ever recover I was welcome back at the facility for employment.

Cons

As a part-time employee we were expected to have somewhere around 20-30 hours or less per week. Generally, I would end up working almost 40 hours a week and then have a short week so they wouldn't have to give me full-time benefits. Also, they were really bad about giving breaks. On a Saturday you might have two short bathroom breaks and a 10-15 minute lunch, if you even got a lunch at all. There was a high turnover rate because of that in particular. I also saw a lot of people passed up for promotions that really deserved them. It seemed like promotions were done by a coin toss. It was very disheartening for someone who wanted to move up in the company.

"Extremely overworked"

Current Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Snellville, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Plasma Center Technician in Snellville, GA

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits- the benefits start day 1 after employment at Biolife. It was really helpful to receive benefits so soon after being hired.

Cons

Extremely under staffed, and extremely over worked. I have been at Biolife for about a year, and we have had 10 people leave the company, and ZERO people replace the 10 people, yet we have continually grown and increased our amount of donors/donations from 1,000 to 3,000+.

Breaks are not a "right". If you work 6.5 hours, you get 1 30 minute off the clock break. If you work 8 to 9.5 hours, you get 1 30 minute lunch break off the clock AND MAYBE 1 fifteen minute break, if you are lucky. Going to the bathroom, not on your lunch or break, is very frowned upon and I was even asked to "Get a note from my doctor if I need to use the restroom other than on my lunch or break", which is only 30 minutes out of and 8.5 hour work day. I went to the doctor and got a note to use the restroom, if needed, every two hours. I was PENALIZED. I was told "if I use the restroom other than on my 30 minute lunch, then I would be deducted 5 minutes for every bathroom break I took , from my break that day. That is absolutely ludicrous to do to someone, especially since my restroom breaks are due to my medication that has me frequently urinate. Even if I did not take medication to cause me to use restroom, everyone should be able to use the restroom whenever they need to go, for health reasons.

The only way you move up in the company is if the managers like you. It is not based on merit, or your numbers, it is based on your personality and if you do not question anything.

Realistic expectations or put on everyone's shoulders, except management.

Be able to be running around and on your feet for LITERALLY 8 out of your 8.5 hour shift.

You are not allowed to have your cell phone one you, even if it is on vibrate or you may get "written up", no matter if it's for emergency purposes.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees. I have had multiple employees tell me they feel like this is slave labor, due to the lack of breaks and amount of work that is put on each employee. Treat your employees like human beings, that can use the restroom if need be, or get a drink of water.