Biosearch Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Ron Cook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Biosearch Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management has taken many steps forward in creating a better environment, including increasing pay, better benefits, and lots of communication. They listened to feedback and responded.

Cons

It is hard to get used to global initiatives, being that we still feel like a start up sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Good people"

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Biosearch Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, helpful atmosphere. Great sense of community within and between certain departments.

Cons

Lacking in leadership. Some people avoid responsibility.

Advice to Management

Don't promote from the inside if you need someone more qualified than the people you have on staff. Don't hire people who are unqualified for leadership roles.

3. "Good atmosphere and friendly work force"

Former Employee - Scientist in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Biosearch Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment and easy going management. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Objectives and business plan not always clearly communicated. Somewhat lower pay.

Advice to Management

Communicate the company objectives and stay the course.

4. "Systems Administrator"

Former Employee - Technician in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Technician in Petaluma, CA

Pros

Great opportunity with managing the entire MS Active Directory and MS Exchange Server environments.

Cons

Limited growth potential for employees

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities to employees that are normally taken by management

"Uber or lyft drivers get paid more and physical time clock!"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Petaluma, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Biosearch Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. You get paid more being a uber or lyft driver, even as a supervisor here. If you just have a high school diploma or a felony conviction and you want to sound like you're doing something important with your life to family and friends who don't know the industry, then this is the place that will hire you.

Cons

Even with a degree, you're a blue collared manufacturing employee with zero entitlement. The pay is so low, that if your coming through a temp agency, SF minimum wage is almost just as competitive. Micromanaged with the physical time clock to clock in your hours like you're working at a Ross, and its for everyone who works in the lab. Useless work experience if you transfer liquid from one tube into another tube. And you're not allowed to cross train or apply laterally to other positions. Everybody who leaves lie on their resumes to get out of their dead end position. If you work hard and you're a good employee, you're absolutely trapped. They won't promote you or give you a work reference if you ask for one! They're too cheap or too poor of a company to afford competitive pay or promote you and they can't afford to lose a good worker. Sometimes if you do get promoted, it's strictly just a title bump with no pay increase. And if you work more than 8 hours, you don't get overtime pay. You get comp time instead, which means you can leave x amount of time that you worked over early, the next day. And I don't think that is legal, especially if we get paid hourly. All management titles are all over inflated. In the real world, a director is a senior manager, at most, at a respectable company.

Advice to Management

Learn how to properly and effectively manage and learn how to run a department with a business sense. I've never heard a thank you from anyone. Or, quickest and most effective way is to hire a new team of management.

"Good for a few years"

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Biosearch Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LGC Biosearch is filled with hard working and passionate people. It's genuinely a joy to work with everyone there. There always seems to be something new to learn and many supervisors will encourage their reports to learn about the rest of the company's operations. I worked with many great people between departments.

Cons

Poor upper management has kept compensation low and expectations high. This leads to extremely high turnover with the exception of high standing positions. Many great people leave due to the high cost of living and low pay.

Advice to Management

I hope that the new parent company and upper management recognize the turnover issues and do what they can to retain trained and skilled employees.

"Poor company"

Former Employee - QC Chemist in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - QC Chemist in Petaluma, CA

Pros

Nothing is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The worst company in the world!

Cons

very bad company, as an entry level position, they need people understand everything in one day. The supervisor showed me how to perform work one time, and then let me do is perfectly. Very poor management, doesn't know how to train people. They don't give people a chance to try. The worst company in the world!!!!!

Advice to Management

Close the company Please.

Biosearch Technologies Response

Sep 26, 2016 – Buisness Partner

Thank you for your feedback and review. We are always looking for ways to improve our employee's experience. We are also working diligently to improve our processes to accommodate the tremendous... More

"Great Coworkers, But Low Pay & Low Morale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Biosearch Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are great! Everyone is kind, the CEO is well liked by most, and the general atmosphere is one to be desired. Birthday celebrations, festivities, and employee morale events are held monthly and it shows that the company cares about keeping the employees happy on that front.

Cons

Low pay and bad management! Pay here is below average, especially as housing and cost of living in the surrounding area has shot through the roof. As for management, I came aboard after the LGC acquisition so I am unaware of how business was conducted in the past, but I was shocked to see how poorly qualified some managers were. I never felt as if my manager would go to bat for me or help me out if I were to make a mistake. I experienced rather passive aggressive behavior and undeserved criticism from my superior, which played a big role in my decision to leave the company. The turnover rate here is quite surprising, and once I had a few months of experience under my belt here, I quickly realized why.

Advice to Management

Train managers or bring in ethical managers who have integrity! I can't imagine how much time and money is lost in hiring/training of new employees. It seems that not many have a strong desire to stay here, and I think mid-upper level management is a big reason why.

9. "Great growing company with opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

Pros

Overall, it's a great place to work. The people are great, pretty nice and down to earth. It still feels a bit like a small company in a good way. For people who are very motivated and take a lot of initiative, it feels like there is a lot of opportunity since the company is growing. And the acquisition by LGC, also seems like it's added some good structure without taking away the company's core. There is a global LGC network, which can be good if you're interested in that. You do have to work very hard, but it can be worth it, because interesting opportunities do come around, even if the financial incentives are slow in coming. A few people have been sent to other countries for work, and that's a great opportunity. I have always enjoyed my coworkers and my managers are wonderful.

Cons

While there are opportunities, not all the entry level positions offer easy paths to it. But that is probably true at a lot of places.
    Pay is really an issue for a lot of people. The rent/housing in the area is getting really expensive, and it has been understandably very difficult for a lot of people to reasonably stay. I know a number of coworkers who would like to stay on at the company but it doesn't make financial sense to. I am happy with my pay, being in an intermediate position, but it is difficult when you start, and the raises were very hard-won.

Advice to Management

I think people enjoy working here, they just need a good reason not to leave. Increase the pay, have more employee recognition, and build better paths for career advancement. Also, the extra social food events are great! Those are really fun and it has been nice to meet other people that work in the company.

"Nice people, below average pay, poor, poor, poor management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Biosearch Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people here are genuinely kind and reasonably friendly, with a couple of glaring exceptions that really spoil the atmosphere here and are not kept in check. There used to be few politics, but I think that is changing since LGC purchased the company.

Cons

The company culture has changed for the worse after the acquisition by LGC in 2015. Stress is high, morale is low. Management continues to be so unskilled and unaware, pay continues to be very low and a substandard wage for the bay area. Company is less of a cowboy/wild west environment since LGC, which is good and bad. Management is so terrible and clueless and it's unfortunate because this could be corrected with some training and guidance. Certain personalities really really make this a miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

Invest in training managers. They need it badly. Read the other reviews and you will see that this is a common complaint. You will continue to lose good employees if this is not addressed. Plus the low pay.