Birch Communications 141 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tony Tomae

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and amazing colleagues (in 8 reviews)

• great people, benefits and manager (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The current system they have in place for their paperwork is a bit extensive but upper management is working on it and change is coming (in 7 reviews)

• In a hurry to sale customers but lack same effort to provide support or customer service to those customers (in 6 reviews)

1. "Unsure of what is going on at the company"

I have been working at Birch Communications full-time

Pros

great people, benefits and manager

Cons

very worried about the status of the company, no communication from upper management

2. "Hopefully things have changed"

I worked at Birch Communications full-time

Pros

Managers and other employees are very helpful. Benefits are good. Spirit committee works hard to maintain high morale.

Cons

At the time I was employed, I was extremely uncomfortable with the sales process. We were encouraged to use scare tactics, be outright dishonest, or sometimes harass to push clients into upgrading services. Some employees would dodge calls so if you got stuck with one of their clients, you had to deal with months' worth of issues that needed a resolution. My professional emails were tossed in favor of large fonts, bright colors, exclamations, and other features that made it feel like I was sending out tacky flyers. Learning sales here will certainly put you in a place where you think fast on your feet to hit your quota, but I've found it's at the expense of your ethics, especially if you are used to building a relationship and having long-term repeat clients.
    That said, it's been a while since I was employed. I'm hoping that things have changed for the next wave of salespeople.

Advice to Management

None. The management team works hard with what they have to try and assist the employees. It's the system as a whole that is the issue.

3. "Not a bad place"

I have been working at Birch Communications full-time

Pros

Care about family and life

Cons

Tight budget and micro manage

5. "Company is a lost cause...just say NO to joining."

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Birch Communications full-time

Pros

There were good people there that worked hard and cared about their jobs and customers.

Cons

The good people were crushed by the tyrannical senior management that did not care about customer service or staff. They have done so many layoffs in the past 3 months there is virtually nothing left. Customers are abandoning this sinking ship and they can't find new customers because of the multitude of negative reviews online. The government fined the company for misleading billing practices over $6,000,000. The benefits are weak, there is no 401k match, bonuses are not paid and the environment is toxic. The company is unsuccessful because there is no consistent or intelligent plans from senior leadership. The old CEO was not focused on the business and the new CEO is incompetent at best. They are not able to install any products they sell beyond POTS and T1s. Any fiber, cloud based services or TCPBX will never get installed and the service coordinators don't understand the products and cancel sales without notifying the reps. When we were laid off most recently they actually emailed us severance and separation information without a call. Some people were sent other peoples information and packages. It was a complete disaster.

Advice to Management

Improve communication, be honest with customers and staff, follow through with a plan and stop changing direction every other week. Don't hire people in December and then lay them off in March!

"A Total Disaster"

Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Birch Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The data center is quality, but that it is it. They burn employees and customers.

Cons

I held off sharing a review because I still had friends that worked for the company. They are all gone now, so here it goes. There is a total lack of leadership at every level. There were some good sales leaders that have all been let go. SLT will have meetings talking about direction of the company and 2 weeks later disband the sales force or have another round of layoffs. During the last round of layoffs they mixed up severance agreements and gave them to the wrong people. The severance is the weakest I have ever seen. A large group of employees had their SS#s & i9 info distributed outside of the organization via email due to a "mistake". There is a complete lack of accountability. You might think I am a disgruntled former employee with a grudge, but I am not. I left there on my own and received a 50% increase in salary; I only wish I had left sooner. My advice to those left, get out on your own terms! Save yourselves!!!!

Advice to Management

Hurry up and sell the remaining assets already.

7. "Birch"

I worked at Birch Communications full-time

Pros

It is just an ALRIGHT place to work.

Cons

No raises, when promised. Insurance is not that good.

8. "Cut everyone to improve customer service?"

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Birch Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of knowledgeable people in the company

Cons

No one listens to the knowledgeable people in the company

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers. Cutting your experienced staff while having an issue with customer service and retention usually isn't the solution.

"Fire Sale"

Current Employee - Producer
    Current Employee - Producer

I have been working at Birch Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people to be in a sells envoirment.

Cons

Lay offs. They just got rid of their entire direct sales force. The CEO Tony Tomae is a past record of making horrible decisions and this is a direct reflection on his leadership style. He is total garbage.

Advice to Management

Rebuild without Tony Tomae.

"the company is making 0 money"

I worked at Birch Communications full-time

Pros

nice people and nothing else

Cons

not enough employee perks or team building

Advice to Management

invest in your employees

"Solutions Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Birch Communications (More than a year)

Pros

NONE NONE NONE NONE NONE

Cons

Horrible Leadership
    High Company Attrition
    Leadership & Forward Thinking Lacking

Advice to Management

None