BirdDogHR Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Skokan

1. "Great Company Culture!"

Pros

Great work environment filled with forward thinking people. The leadership team is encouraging and truly cares about employee success. I always felt like a valued asset and will truly miss everyone at this company.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about BirdDogHR. Again, the company culture is wonderful and so are the staff members.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The continually feedback and encouragement always motivated me to continue to do my best work.

2. "BirdDogHR is a great employer!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at BirdDogHR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BirdDogHR is a great place to work, phenomenal team and an amazing company culture. Employees have great benefits including health, 401k, PTO, floating holidays and a stocks kitchen full of snacks, coffee and other refreshments. BirdDogHR takes employee engagement to the next level. The organization is growing rapidly, it feels great to be a part of it!

Cons

No comments to share, if you enjoy working with ambitious driven teammates this is a great place for you to be!

Advice to Management

As a company we are handling rapid growth very well. Employees are regularly praised for performance, and encouraged to share. The only thing I can think if would be to create career paths with employees, and put an action plan to develop skills to move them to their desired position. We have the tools, let's make it happen!

3. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at BirdDogHR full-time

Pros

Great sales team and cross-departmental comradery. Opportunities to advance within the company.

Cons

Usual growing pains of a growing company.

Advice to Management

Transparency, consistency and fairness.

5. "Glad I made the move"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Urbandale, IA

Pros

I've been in HCM space for nearly 10 years and very glad I made the change.
    - Great vibe & culture
    - Nearly 20 year old company with the vibe & culture of a start-up
    - Passionate sales management & product development teams
    - Marketing generates a good quanity & quality of leads

Cons

US focused from a product and presence stand point. The suite of products is an enterprise grade portfolio but lacks the language packs to service an international customer.

Advice to Management

Make sure the culture remains in tact as the company continues with the rapid growth that has taking place now.

6. "Awesome Place To Work!"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at BirdDogHR (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great team environment
    Ability to grow in your field
    Advancement opportunities
    Support from management

Cons

N/A: I truly enjoy my job & the people I work with

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It is nice that management doesn't just sit in an office - they are part of the team & help where ever they are needed. It is part of why our office has such a great "team work" structure!

"Growing Pains"

Pros

Rapidly growing and evolving product offering gives you new challenges and SaaS skill set to help become an expert in the talent space. If the clients brings up a bug or problem or feature they would like to see, fitting it into the roadmap and making it a reality is fairly quick. Brand new offices with a nice dining area, TV and snacks to break up the day. Your peers can really be a great group of people to work with each day and make the challenging days go a lot quicker. There are glimpses of a good cultured company trying to break through a few times a year or so after morale suffers for months. Because upper management isn't in the office much, there isn't much micromanagement done on a daily basis which can be nice

Cons

Organization has not handled growth challenges well. Knee jerk reactions and obvious favoritism to past professional relationship are running rampant here. Upper Management and some employees are rarely in the office and "work" from home while others aren't allowed or are discouraged. CEO lives and spends most of the working month in Omaha, and needs constant updates on daily operations and numbers and weighs on everyone. With so much constantly changing, the direction of the product set and strategy change like the Iowa weather from day to day. This is evident as the sales team has had 4 different direct manager changes in just as many months due to lofty goals presented to the board upon investing in BirdDogHR mid 2014. Daily hard working employees often get frustrated by peers who try to look/appear busy while doing as little as possible just to get by and know that their relationship with the management and executive staff with keep them employed.

Advice to Management

Think about how your favoritism and decisions effect all your employees view. Product is coming around but it takes time. Stop only caring about the sales, lead by example and try to be better leaders your team can respect.

BirdDogHR Response

Oct 14, 2015 – HR & Compliance Manager

Thank you for your comments. They are being reviewed by your leadership team. Changing processes is a challenge all organizations face. In a fast-growing company the velocity of change is ... More

"Senior Management"

Pros

The company was a highly nimble HR technology firm and I commend them on making a very bold transition to a full service TMS, SaaS, recurring revenue model which was not easy. It's my understanding that they have on-boarded almost 800 or more customers to one year or longer contracts which is even harder. I have heard the new CEO is an excellent leader, which is what the company needed. But give the Founder credit, he built the company and built the foundation for what it is today.

Cons

Still have some growing pains, but what technology company doesn't? When I was there, the company needed cash to develop out the model plus cash for marketing and sales to grow the business. They ended up getting some from a local investor firm which helped get them started.

Advice to Management

get more involved with your people on a one on one basis so you can be more effective as a coach.

"100% satisfied"

Current Employee - Recruiting Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruiting Consultant

I have been working at BirdDogHR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They care. I wanted to move closer to my Dad, who is a little older. I was working at the home office prior and I spoke with my Director and CEO about my personal situation. They both approved for me to move closer to my family. I have been working from home for the last year and I could not be happier with my job and the caring nature of the management staff.

Cons

The paydays. We are paid on the 1st and the 15th of each month. I would prefer bi-weekly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and stay focused on the goal of making this a company of envy to our competitors. I have worked here with the "really bad" management prior and now with the leaders who are actually human. I have worked at other companies where my goal of being closer to family would have been meet with - find a new job or use your personal time. What you did for me is out of the norm for todays companies and if you were running a "boiler room" atmosphere. I would not be closer to the people who mean the most to me. So I say "Thank you"!

10. "Very happy I came to work for BirdDogHR!"

Pros

I really enjoy the atmosphere here at BirdDogHR. I am never bored - always one more thing to do, always one more thing to learn, which makes the days go by fast.
    Everyone I work with is very supportive of my success, and so willing to help each other out. I feel as though my manager is a very ideal combination of being involved and informed of what is going on with my customers vs. allowing me to do things on my own.
    Last but not least, we have a really great product!

Cons

This sounds unrealistic, but right now there are none.

Advice to Management

I have never had a manager who did such a great job of being involved and informed as much as needed, but also giving me the freedom to go out there and do what I need to do, and allowing me to do it my own way (which makes me successful).

"Overly Ambitious Goals"

I worked at BirdDogHR full-time

Pros

Great people except for Sales management. Good ATS product in a good vertical. Talent product needs a lot of work. If you are looking for a developer or customer care job, this is the place to go. You'll get great experience and work with people you enjoy.

Cons

Way too aggressive on revenue goals. Sales forecast is pure speculation and based upon voodoo numbers. If you are looking for a sales job, stay away. Think of Boiler Room where you are forced to make 60 calls a day. Sales Mgmt is a joke and only looking out for themselves. No help on tactics or how to approach prospects, just make your calls.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your goals and help your sales people be successful. Just because you set a number doesn't mean its a realistic number.

BirdDogHR Response

Jul 21, 2015 – HR & Compliance Manager

We’re saddened to hear you felt you weren’t set up for success and we appreciate your constructive comments. As a fast-growing company, our goals are definitely stretching and processes evolve as ... More