Bisk Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Bisk

Pros
  • Great people, great atmosphere in our new collaborative development space (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits, great company events, and they're really trying to break down the silos that had existed before (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • I think we need more open communication from the upper management and between the different departments (in 17 reviews)

• Low pay, terrible management, they put out cookie cutter garbage and call it online education (in 12 reviews)

"Enrollment Advisor"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bisk (More than a year)

Pros

The National Director does a great job of creating a fun and positive atmosphere. The team huddles and floor meetings are upbeat and motivating. Also, working here allowed me to continue my degree and receive executive development certificates at no cost.

Cons

No matter if you hit quota or consistently exceed it.. you still make the same amount of money hourly.

Advice to Management

Continue to show your appreciation and support to your team. The shout outs and thank you cards go a long way.

"Enrollment Services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relationship building and sales marketing development.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. High level of favoritism within the organization. Not as transparent as the CEO would like due to this mid management characteristic.

Advice to Management

Look at internal talent and stand by what you preach regarding internal advancement opportunities.

"Micro-Manage"

Current Employee - Student Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Student Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Could be a great company. They were on the right track and then flew off when profit started to decrease. Owner is amazing but needs to know what is going on in the enrollment center.

Cons

This is a honest opinion of someone who has a rare good manager and enjoys their team. In the new enrollment side of the business there is more intense micro-managing than I have ever seen. The senior managers spend all day coding reps phones back to "ready" when they are trying to add notes or send emails. They have to control every second of everyone's day and do not manage individually but exhaust all of their time trying to find ways reps may not be doing there job. This is the reason we have lost so many talented reps. It is literally destroying the company yet everyone is to afraid to say anything in fear of their jobs. I would not recommend Bisk unless major changes are made.

Advice to Management

Please be aware of your managers and senior managers. Almost every post on here says poor management and they are right. Every senior manager fits the same mold, extreme control over everything and it's is killing your front lines.

"Keep working to make improvements"

Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time

Pros

I love making a difference in my students lives!

Cons

Poor management and the pay could be better for all the responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees that bring revenue in for the company everyday. We are on the front lines and have good ideas to help our company thrive. Quit putting personal agendas ahead of Mike Bisk's mission. You play for the name on front of the shirt and not the back!

"Great people to work with."

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bisk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, great program managers to work with/for, good vacation and healthcare benefits, possible tuition reimbursement (if your desired major is one a partner school offers), daily food trucks on site, Instructional Technology is an Agile work environment and has a brand new work area.

Cons

Very little communication from my director, can count on the fingers of both hands how many times we had conversations in nearly 3 years of employment. Raises to industry standard for Tampa were promised so many times it was like a broken record-still has not happened. Two 1% raises with no accompanying performance evaluation in 2 years is ridiculous. Hired in at what recruiter said was 'highest they could pay', but new people constantly came in with less experience and paid more.

Despite a skill set that usually requires an advanced degree, department 'churns and burns' instructional designers, with it being rare that someone makes it to 2 years at Bisk in the role. Some schools don't want to listen to the ID or Program Managers about how to best create courses for busy online learners, which can be frustrating.

Other than conversations with PMs, there was not one single conversation with my superiors that addressed career path opportunities.

Advice to Management

You have a bad reputation in Tampa for instructional design, as most IDs are looking for a stable work environment, not one where there is constant turnover. Stop treating IDs like they are dispensable, because it isn't as easy to find skilled IDs as it may be to find an enrollment rep.

As you hire more millennials, understand that they have great, innovative ideas (spoken as a non-millennial). Also understand that there is nothing that is secret with this segment of the workforce-they share all information freely.

When your employees find that the new hire is brought in making at least 25% more than those who have been there, they're all looking for new jobs.

Mar 20, 2017 – Associate Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback and taking the time to write your review. I agree Bisk has great employees and benefits. I also appreciate you taking the time to share your feelings about areas ... More

"Exceptional Leadership and Work Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Digital Content Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Content Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bisk's executive leaders are smart, ethical, and work very hard to help employees find success. They genuinely care about the their staff and will bend over backwards to teach you a new skill or support you through a difficult challenge. Co-workers are great as well; Bisk definitely knows how to find bright, friendly people who are a pleasure to work with.

Recent changes to the work environment have been phenomenal. Casual dress, holiday parties, flex time for most positions, and a beautiful new employee common area are just the tip of the iceberg. HR encourages healthy habits with exercise programs, on-site medical screenings, and a great medical/dental/vision plan.

Cons

Management could be a little more careful about adopting new business strategies and software. In the past, the company would sometimes devote time and money to the latest thing only to later discover it really wasn't a good fit. This has gotten much better over the past year, though; Bisk's most recent investments - especially in the area of technology - look like they're working very well.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, you're doing an amazing job. Bisk has always been a good place to work, but the recent changes have made it truly exceptional.

"Very trendy and fun place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bisk has a lot of benefits, including tuition reimbursement which is rare. Managers are empathetic and truly want their teams to succeed and feel happy with the projects they are working on. There are many different projects and efforts to be a part of and shine. The company is flexible and considerate with families, many people are able to work from home and have a stable work/home life. Bisk promotes health and wellness with many fun activities to participate in. The new work/play space really improved morale and it's a great place to take your laptop for a couple of hours and have a change of scenery. Slowly but surely becoming the well-rounded, conscious company they want to be.

Cons

There should be a clear career path, some people find it hard to envision their future at a company if they don't know what is the the next step when attempting to climb the ladder.

Advice to Management

Be more vocal and transparent about career paths in order to entice people to continue working hard and stay loyal.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Enrollment Manager in Seffner, FL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Manager in Seffner, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Benefits are good. Free education from partner schools. PTO is generous and starts from day 1 of employment

Cons

Pay is horrible for the responsibility, reviews are given semi annual and 1 day of a negative attitude impacts your review. Also your total score will is rounded down. Example 2.75 becomes a 2 which means to get a 3 on your annual review you need all 4's which we know will never happen. When we have a sick child and take the day off, we work on VPN WE ARE THEN TOLD WE HAVE TO USE A PTO DAY. Just ridiculous work life balance Is not something socially accepted.

Mar 2, 2017 – Associate Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am sorry to hear this feedback and must say it doesn’t feel representative of the Bisk culture. I encourage you to reach out to me directly so ... More

"I truly enjoy my job"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at Bisk for 3.5 yrs, I've been able to move up in my position from instructional designer, to lead ID and program manager. I enjoy the perk of taking certificate courses for free and I'm working on a Master's as well. The people I work with care about each other. We have a great team/family within our department. We learn from each other daily increasing our skills in other areas. I hope to be here for many years.

Cons

I think that all companies can improve in communication in one way or another. It has to be difficult with the number of employees we have and we are in three locations/two cities. I don't know where the recent comments about layoffs came from? I am unaware of any in over a year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! We are on the right track!

Jan 30, 2017 – Associate Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and all that you do on a daily basis to contribute to that experience, and to help us reach our goals as a team.

"Awesome to see all the change"

Current Employee - Marketing in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Without change, progress is impossible. Bisk was one of the original providers of online degree programs, and with that they were also pioneers in the direct marketing space. Offering programs from Villanova, Michigan State, Norte Dame and many others is very cool!

Over the past year and a half, the company has been fast transitioning to more of a strategic inbound model. With that have come a lot of changes. Among these changes are top of the line software like Kapost, Salesforce, and Marketo.

Change is scary for some people, but this is 100% a place that you can thrive and be around some really awesome people who are changing people's lives for the better.

Cons

The management can be a bit fickle in their approach to strategy, changing from week to week. There is a vital need for some communication and quick decision-making from the top down. This is slowly starting to get better.

Advice to Management

Continue to solicit feedback from students and employees to figure out where to prioritize effort. Make sure to recognize those working hard for you, and continue bringing on the amazing caliber of people you've been hiring over the past couple years.