Bisk Reviews in Tampa, FL | Glassdoor

Tampa, FL

3.1
Mike Bisk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, great atmosphere in our new collaborative development space (in 11 reviews)

• You will work with some good people in your immediate Dept (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management contradicting themselves every time they make an announcement about future goals for the company (in 19 reviews)

• Because this is a call center environment managers can use their authority to harass employees (in 12 reviews)

1. "Best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Today is my last day after working at Bisk for 6 years. I worked as a tech support rep and a network admin. This company really cares about it's employees. The benefits are great and they often have events just for the employees. Like a very expensive Christmas party for free. I can't say enough good things about them.

Cons

Management is a little slow to make changes and the hiring process takes forever. They try a lot of initiatives for changing their management style but none of it seems to work. At least from my perspective.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunities are endless for you at Bisk if you have the drive to be all in. Managers are there to support you when needed and the culture is upbeat and motivating. The benefits are competitive to the area and you get your continuing education paid for while an employee (after 60 days). It is a great company to build your career and move up in the industry.

Cons

Pay could be better. Some employees need to be excited in the new direction of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The newest hires at Bisk are exactly what the company needs.

"constantly going in a new direction, but not sure what direction that is"

Former Employee - Marketing in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bisk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Smart talented coworkers. There is a lot of opportunity to contribute and take the lead on projects. You will get a high velocity of experience and it is a great opportunity to build a resume.

Cons

Management was brought in because of who they are friends with outside, not because of their experience or leadership. Existing employees are undervalued and there is little opportunity for career advancement within Bisk.

Advice to Management

Focus on rewarding and holding on to the talent that you have. Recognize potential in people and help them grow.

"Don't Expect Career Development or Promotions"

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bisk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Liked my department and coworkers.

Cons

What does it tell you when you leave the company (because of the horrible pay) and LinkedIn insists on sending you weekly emails to inform you that you are in the top 10% of applicants for their Director of Learning Experience Design role (now advertised for over 8 months), but your manager never talked to you about your skills, experience, or where you see yourself within the company?

That, in a nutshell, tells you what you need to know about the technology side of Bisk. No one cares what you bring to the table or whether you want to stay. Lately, all you will do as a newer member of the Technology team is wave goodbye to the people who got fed up with the lack of compensation and career development that will keep people there.

Heck, they put in beer taps to get people to stick around later, but they got shut off by one of the Bisk family members. Why? Because people didn't know who the heck she was in the area that was billed as a break room (she was trying to have a small business meeting).

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the superficial, like beer taps that you shut off. Focus on what it takes to keep the people. Don't bother with the 'thank you for your feedback' response when you're just paying lip service to those giving reviews.

The only time I suggest someone apply to Bisk is when they're just starting out in the industry. Get in, get the experience, get out. Hopefully, they'll make some decent friends along the way.

"Enrollment Advisor"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bisk (More than a year)

Pros

The National Director does a great job of creating a fun and positive atmosphere. The team huddles and floor meetings are upbeat and motivating. Also, working here allowed me to continue my degree and receive executive development certificates at no cost.

Cons

No matter if you hit quota or consistently exceed it.. you still make the same amount of money hourly.

Advice to Management

Continue to show your appreciation and support to your team. The shout outs and thank you cards go a long way.

Bisk Response

May 2, 2017 – Associate Vice President Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review Bisk. I agree that our talented workforce is one of the greatest parts about working at Bisk. The employees here motivate and inspire me on a daily basis, and... More

"Enrollment Services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relationship building and sales marketing development.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. High level of favoritism within the organization. Not as transparent as the CEO would like due to this mid management characteristic.

Advice to Management

Look at internal talent and stand by what you preach regarding internal advancement opportunities.

"Micro-Manage"

Current Employee - Student Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Student Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Could be a great company. They were on the right track and then flew off when profit started to decrease. Owner is amazing but needs to know what is going on in the enrollment center.

Cons

This is a honest opinion of someone who has a rare good manager and enjoys their team. In the new enrollment side of the business there is more intense micro-managing than I have ever seen. The senior managers spend all day coding reps phones back to "ready" when they are trying to add notes or send emails. They have to control every second of everyone's day and do not manage individually but exhaust all of their time trying to find ways reps may not be doing there job. This is the reason we have lost so many talented reps. It is literally destroying the company yet everyone is to afraid to say anything in fear of their jobs. I would not recommend Bisk unless major changes are made.

Advice to Management

Please be aware of your managers and senior managers. Almost every post on here says poor management and they are right. Every senior manager fits the same mold, extreme control over everything and it's is killing your front lines.

Bisk Response

May 2, 2017 – Associate Vice President Human Resources

I appreciate your detailed feedback and I am sorry you feel that your role has not met your expectations. We have several new managers in roles across the organization and are working to provide... More

"Keep working to make improvements"

Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time

Pros

I love making a difference in my students lives!

Cons

Poor management and the pay could be better for all the responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees that bring revenue in for the company everyday. We are on the front lines and have good ideas to help our company thrive. Quit putting personal agendas ahead of Mike Bisk's mission. You play for the name on front of the shirt and not the back!

"Exceptional Leadership and Work Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Digital Content Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Content Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bisk's executive leaders are smart, ethical, and work very hard to help employees find success. They genuinely care about the their staff and will bend over backwards to teach you a new skill or support you through a difficult challenge. Co-workers are great as well; Bisk definitely knows how to find bright, friendly people who are a pleasure to work with.

Recent changes to the work environment have been phenomenal. Casual dress, holiday parties, flex time for most positions, and a beautiful new employee common area are just the tip of the iceberg. HR encourages healthy habits with exercise programs, on-site medical screenings, and a great medical/dental/vision plan.

Cons

Management could be a little more careful about adopting new business strategies and software. In the past, the company would sometimes devote time and money to the latest thing only to later discover it really wasn't a good fit. This has gotten much better over the past year, though; Bisk's most recent investments - especially in the area of technology - look like they're working very well.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, you're doing an amazing job. Bisk has always been a good place to work, but the recent changes have made it truly exceptional.

"Very trendy and fun place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bisk has a lot of benefits, including tuition reimbursement which is rare. Managers are empathetic and truly want their teams to succeed and feel happy with the projects they are working on. There are many different projects and efforts to be a part of and shine. The company is flexible and considerate with families, many people are able to work from home and have a stable work/home life. Bisk promotes health and wellness with many fun activities to participate in. The new work/play space really improved morale and it's a great place to take your laptop for a couple of hours and have a change of scenery. Slowly but surely becoming the well-rounded, conscious company they want to be.

Cons

There should be a clear career path, some people find it hard to envision their future at a company if they don't know what is the the next step when attempting to climb the ladder.

Advice to Management

Be more vocal and transparent about career paths in order to entice people to continue working hard and stay loyal.