Black Box Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
E.C. Sykes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No raises for anyone that is not an executive with the company (in 16 reviews)

• When yearly goals were missed, upper management and executives received their bonuses by keeping operating costs low (no raises, etc (in 11 reviews)

1. "Good transitional company"

I have been working at Black Box full-time

Pros

Full time hours
    Job security
    Coworkers are easy to get along with for the most part
    Laid back atmosphere

Cons

No raises for anyone that is not an executive with the company.
    People that put in the bare minimum effort are rewarded the same as those that put in effort that goes above and beyond.
    No room for advancement (pretty much a dead end job at this point).
    Management is out of touch and treat employees as disposable assets.

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward the employees that keep the ship afloat, otherwise you'll be left with rats and bottom feeders when they decide to abandon ship.

"cabling tech"

Current Employee - Cable Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cable Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Black Box full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

a good work environment a company that has been around for a long time

Cons

the management is not the best and you can be the this for a long time and the company will not give you a any bumps in pay

"Spiral downward"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Black Box full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the beginning this was the place to be. You were compensated and recognized for a job well done. This disappeared and never returned.

Cons

Pay raises disappeared for at least 15 years. When you were provided a raise, a .25 cent raise was the most received. On average it was a .15 cent raise and you were advised that you were already at the cap of your salary. There was no where to move within the company. Poor communication with HR. If they say it was confidential it wasn't. Then they wonder why you didn't come to them in the first place. When yearly goals were missed, upper management and executives received their bonuses by keeping operating costs low (no raises, etc.). Being a public held company, you can see when executives were paid their bonuses, the rest of the team did not. More managers than necessary and no one communicates.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. You have employees that know the company inside and out who can help grow the organization. Show your employees you value them. Stop using scare tactics by telling them, "they should be thankful they have a job."

"Sales Engineer"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Black Box full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, pay is not bad. Everybody is helpful.

Cons

It is a slowly dying company - just look at the stock price. Very limited career growth. Search someplace else for a job especially with the job market being "hot" in 2017.

5. "Not a great place to work"

I have been working at Black Box full-time

Pros

Good people to work with
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Employees stretched thin
    Sales has too much influence over departments

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan

6. "Fine place to work, just don't think too much."

I have been working at Black Box full-time

Pros

The work is quite simple, and the pace is very leisurely. Nobody seems to be in a great hurry to get anything done.

Cons

Don't try to think too much. After all, this is the Ministry of Truth. Your perceptions and thoughts are of little value here.

Advice to Management

Please just leave me alone to watch the screen with my wife in the evenings. I don't need any more work.

7. "Blood, Sweat, Tears"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Black Box (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are so many people here who give, give, give. We are an amazing team but we are really struggling.

Cons

Lack of a real culture here. We are collectively helping to turn around this company, but man are we getting tired! We are drowning here and the motivation is waning. Two years of a transformation and there is still a lack of top down decision making ability and a go-forward plan that we can use for every day work. Some are still, "I'm doing it the old way", some are "This is the 1bbox". No control across depts what is happening. Chaos reigns more than not.

Advice to Management

Give us the ability to make decisions on the fly to get work done but also don't cut us down. We are stuck here. We want to help but there are way too many unknowns to do our jobs effectively. DEFINITELY Not enough resources.

8. "My sanity dictated my departure"

Pros

Through my experience I was able to get to know a lot of the employees spread around the country and found that they are an amazing group of people to work with.

Cons

The main cons are long hours, no pay increases, no real recognition for a job well done, no "give" in the month-end schedule (i.e., no adjustments for holidays), benefit costs were high, coverage was adequate.

Advice to Management

Although I understand the changes the company is making towards 1BBOX. These changes are absolutely necessary for the success of the company, however, please don't forget the people who work for you. Recognize them for the sacrifices they make and the hard work they do to bring in your revenue. Recognize the ones who take care of your clients, the ones who run your satellite offices, the ones who produce the monthly financial information, etc. I have personally witnessed good employees leave the company, and you will continue to lose more good employees if something doesn't change for the better for them. When one leaves, you replace them with another, burn them out as you did the last one who left, and the cycle continues. If this keeps happening over and over again, you should ask yourself... is it me?

Just as you would maintain a car to keep it in good working order, you must periodically maintenance your employees to keep them in good working order. Without that regular maintenance, they will fall apart... and so will your company. As it stands, you are asking them to give more and more to Black Box, but Black Box isn't doing more to give back to them.

Obviously, these are my opinions, but ask your employees how many of them feel the same way.

9. "Good work, bad pay, horrible leadership"

I worked at Black Box (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part great coworkers, good work / life balance, decent benefits. Some of the corrupt upper management is now out, so thats a start.

Cons

Very poor HR policies- no yearly review/pay increases ever, significant number of long time employees had PTO vacation days taken away from them to match up with the new corporate wide policy. There's a good reason there is so much new upper management (CEO,CIO,VP's) - old management did everything they could to stuff their own pockets, made business decisions based on how it benefited them personally. Just look at the stock, company has been run into the ground by those at the top.

Advice to Management

Treat and pay your employees a hell of a lot better than you do now, keep clearing out the bad eggs in management.

"Way better options"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

One BB is a good idea

Cons

Look at the stock and take your money elsewhere. This company in going down and quickly, almost 10% today. New job seekers beware as BB offers nothing more than a job. A career would involve management to see you as a human with a family and care about you as well as the shareholders. BB could care less about it's sales people and this is punishing the stock.

Advice to Management

Quit or get fired. I hope the new CEO see's that it starts and stops with sales and that the current management do not have the skills necessary to run, what should be, a sales organization.