Black Duck Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lou Shipley

Pros
  • Exciting space - Open Source is the future of software development (in 9 reviews)

• The work environment is conducive to collaboration and is just the right amount of laid back (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Our new CEO made some major changes, including removing some managers and making at least one bad choice of promotion (in 2 reviews)

• None really, always seeking more growth but it is a niche industry (in 2 reviews)

"Simply great"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Boston, MA

Pros

Access to the cutting edge technologies on market

Cons

Not enough funding and so no access to commercial products

"Excellent Growing Company"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Burlington, MA

Pros

Growing company, fun environment, feels like each person really matters.

Cons

Growth comes at the cost of minor cultural adjustments

"Growing company that is a great place to work and has great people to work with"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Burlington, MA

Pros

The company has a great team atmosphere, great people to work with, management is very open about the plan of the company and keeps employees informed about what is going on. The company makes a point that employees need to have a work-life balance. The company has a flexible work schedule to allow you to adjust to other items happening in your life. Benefits are comparable with others in the industry. All employees receive new hire training from all of the departments to help them learn about the company quickly.

Cons

The company is growing quickly, so there is always work to be done which can be a good and a bad thing.

"Successful teamwork!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

Pros

The company is growing at a stellar rate, due to the importance and significance of our offerings, the well-run nature of the company and our visionary (yet still practical) CEO. The management team keeps employees apprised of our current state and desired future growth, which is very promising! The Black Duck marketing department takes teamwork seriously and is a highly effective, highly collaborative group. Personnel specializing in social media, lead generation, direct marketing, products, programs, public relations and communications work together so well, and it’s a pleasure to be part of this dynamic, professional and FUN group!

Cons

As with any company growing at this rate, Black Duck is very successful and very busy - which is actually a good thing!
    Benefits are typical for a start-up and adequate.

Advice to Management

With so many intelligent, dedicated and interesting people at Black Duck, we should try to foster and create more inter-departmental activities.

"Great Job for Working Mom!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a new mom, I wasn't sure how I was going to balance work responsibilities with parenthood, but Black Duck has made it easier and better than I thought possible! From our CFO and CMO to my peers and colleagues, I've been shown nothing less than profound kindness and flexibility. My job is demanding (in a good way), rewarding, and I work with a wonderful team!

Cons

As with any fast-growing company, there's a lot of work to do, but I don't see that as a Con, particularly when you feel appreciated for the things you do.

6. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In the short period of time I've been employed here, I have had nothing but a positive experience. The training is thorough and helps you quickly adapt to the corporate culture (which is indeed very fun). While hammering the phone is not the most glamorous job, management gives you ample independence while also providing the correct incentives in order to succeed. Compared to my friends who are business development reps at other firms, my experience has been much, much better. Additionally, the opportunity for ascending within the company is exceptional as the company is experiencing tremendous growth.

Cons

There isn't much...maybe the commute?

7. "Fun, Upbeat Sales Department - Great Start-up Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Business Development in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a sales-focused company with a start-up feel. Music is playing, ping-pong tables, beer on tap, free snacks and drinks (Redbull as an essential). They train you well and want to see you succeed. I've enjoyed working here thus far and the company's growth keeps me optimistic for my own personal growth within the company! I would and have recommended friends to join the team and they have nothing but great things to say!

Cons

This is a tough commute if you don't live in the area.

8. "Great place for young people to work"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great start-up, high energy environment. It is a great place especially for young people to start a career in sales and tech/software. A place where hard work is recognized, appreciated and rewarded.
    Lots of perks that make coming to work an enjoyable experience.

Cons

No cons come to mind right away. Commute isn't ideal, but, as a young person, location stills allows you to live almost anywhere i.e. Boston or surrounding areas.

Advice to Management

Keep going in the same direction!

9. "Business Development"

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Black Duck Software gives recent college graduates the opportunity to start a career in sales. The training program is extremely valuable and positions you to succeed. The company has a great atmosphere and makes it enjoyable to come to work everyday.

Cons

Traffic to the office can be difficult.

"Black Duck Software will be the best company i will ever work for."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time

Pros

The best reasons to work at Black Duck is for the relaxed (West Coast) atmosphere. The company is approximately 10 years old but still has that start up feel. There is a relaxed dress code along with ping pong tables beer taps and free snacks. There is also an option for a free gym membership at the gym that is on site.
    The office has plenty of space and is located right next to the Burlington MA mall that makes lunch and shopping very convenient and the best part is that you don't have to pay for parking!

The company continues to grow and has great products and services for the software industry. Not to mention the great benefit package you get when working here. Black Duck looks after its employees and make sure all their needs are met.

Cons

Like any job in Massachusetts traffic can be a problem. I95 most of the time is a parking lot but really isn't bad compared to the drive into Boston.