Black Duck Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lou Shipley

Pros
  • Exciting space - Open Source is the future of software development (in 9 reviews)

• The work environment is conducive to collaboration and is just the right amount of laid back (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Our new CEO made some major changes, including removing some managers and making at least one bad choice of promotion (in 2 reviews)

• None really, always seeking more growth but it is a niche industry (in 2 reviews)

1. "Worst HR Department Around"

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time

Pros

All the other departments were solid

Cons

Think of all the things that Human Resources should do....then imagine none of those things happening

May 24, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

This is disheartening to read. We pride ourselves in HR as a team that is supportive and collaborative on providing the utmost support we can to all at Black Duck and this is confirmed from our NPS ... More

2. "Experience at Black Duck"

Pros

The people are highly skilled and highly professional
    The company takes care of its staff
    The pay is fair
    The benefits are excellent
    The culture is excellent and widely acknowledged as key to success

Cons

None except it's hard to find a stapler or sissors when you need one.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

May 18, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Oh no - we hate when the gnomes run away with our staplers and scissors! Please reach out to your office manager for any necessary supplies you need, and if by chance you are in a office that does ... More

3. "Exciting opportunity to learn and contribute"

Current Employee - Vulnerability Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Vulnerability Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Awesome company culture (beer and soft drinks in the fridge, snacks galore, regular company events, friendly and down to earth staff)
    -Fast paced work environment, exciting being part of a like minded group of people
    -Get to be an important and valued part of a team
    -Awesome experience, good opportunity to learn a lot
    -Excellent, friendly support staff, help with anything from equipment requests to software licenses to whatever else you can think of

Cons

Genuinely none that I can think of

Advice to Management

N/A

May 18, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Cheers to you in Belfast! Excited to have celebrated our first year in Belfast and looking to add many more ducks to our team!

"Business Development Representative"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of perks, including free food and wine/beer, gaming rooms, free gym access

Cons

a lot of cold calling, developing contacts

Advice to Management

nothing

5. "Terrible Place to Work"

Pros

It has a good engineer team. The CEO is a visionary and works hard for the company's well being. They are doing something new and different. Free food and booze is definitely a plus point.

Cons

It has got a terrible HR department. Instead of helping employees with their problems, they create gossips in the office. They post fake reviews on Facebook and Glassdoor.

The only way this company can success if they change their HR department asap. I don't see them going anywhere with the current HR team.

Advice to Management

If you want to make prosper and want a good retainment rate it is high time you change your HR department. They are terrible in all aspects.

6. "Great Company"

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time

Pros

I have been at Black Duck for almost two years now and am learning, developing my skills, and find myself being challenged everyday. The senior staff are all very smart, transparent and real people you can learn from. Senior staff are all extremely approachable and actually pay attention to each individual and there role at the company. I haven't been at too many companies where the CEO asks you how projects are going and strikes up casual conversation with employees on a daily basis. The work environment is conducive to collaboration and is just the right amount of laid back. This is the first place I have worked where I thoroughly enjoy the team and look forward to coming into work each day. I actually feel like I'm missing out when I'm not in the office!

Cons

Honestly cannot think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

May 18, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for such a stellar review! We are so glad to hear you are growing professionally within Black Duck. Lou, our CEO embodies our culture and has built transparency throughout the organization ... More

7. "Motivated, Exciting Company"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, lots of autonomy while providing the information you need to grow and learn as an employee. Very fast-paced. Great start up feel, while offering organization and budget of a more established company.

Cons

Can't think of much. You need to have willpower to avoid all the snacks and treats at cool culture events.

Advice to Management

Continue to add diversity to the company throughout all groups. We have seen a lot more women here in the last year or so. It would be great to see more women and minorities in management and leadership positions.

May 18, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the 5 star rating! We couldn't agree more regarding adding diversity to our teams and this initiative is underway!

8. "Great place to work, slightly out of the way"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and beer, unlimited time off, laid back hours, friendly work environment. I've only worked there briefly but it seems like a cool place to work.

Cons

Some of the code is older and difficult to pick up, there are lots of new hires so its easy to get lost in the crowd, the location is a little out of the way if you live in Boston.

Advice to Management

Pay more money and open an office in Boston. Basically it's already pretty cool just don't make it worse by doing something wrong. Good job so far

Jan 17, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your review! We’re glad to hear you are enjoying your time at Black Duck! As you mentioned, we are recruiting several employees to join our teams and this is exciting as we offer ... More

"Amazing!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture - what you see is what you get, lots of fun activities beyond day to day work
    Performance trumps activity - they reward true performance, not just hard work
    Exciting space - Open Source is the future of software development

Cons

Older products are getting very tired - Should be retired
    Confusing messaging at times - Marketing and sales do not always use the same words to describe what we do. Confuses customers.
    Long hours - you need to work hard to make your numbers

Advice to Management

Complete the transition to new products. Need to innovate a bit more - seem to have stagnated - should be seeing more given the size of the dev team.

"Overall Good balance"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very good balance of fun/flexibility and exciting work environment

- Family friendly for a startup

- Great location if you have a family, you can work here and live in the suburbs without having a crushing commute into boston or a $4000/month rent to live near the office. For young people there are shuttles from the T, etc.. so it's not terrible if you want to live in the city either.

- There is beer and candy and stuff in the kitchen but this company is absolutely not a "frat house" startup culture. Reviewers here who complain about that have clearly never worked in a company that had a true frat house culture. I've never heard off color comments or anything like that here, have never seen a drinking game, have never heard upper management pressure anyone to drink, and have never seen anyone get drunk in the office. There have been occasional rumors it has happened, but I've worked in a true frat house environment in the past and that stuff was constantly seen there. This place is no Hubspot.

- Pace in Engineering is good but not excessive in terms of pressure. Not too much overhead in process. Most groups are Agile without necessarily following the processes perfectly. Management is realistic about estimates though.

- Newer products have a pretty nice architecture and are fairly pleasant to work on. (Older products not so much)

- Minimal outsourcing going on.

- Engineers rarely need to help tech support or go onsite, depends on product though.

- Current executives under Lou Shipley are excellent in terms of financial transparency compared to most startups I've worked at. They are all very nice as well.

- Benefits are pretty good, insurance rates have not raised that much and each year management has added additional benefits especially matching 401k.

- Office location has a lot of positives, free gym, Yoga is free for Black duck employees as well, proximity to Burlington Mall is very nice (walkable from office)

Cons

- Company does feel somewhat sales focused as opposed to engineering driven, but I can live with that as long as the company continues to grow. Old management was more engineering driven but had a hard time figuring out how to grow.

- Older products have a pretty obnoxious tech stack. They are moving towards maintenance only at this point (late 2016) and new hires are not being put on those teams though.

- Somewhat of a culture of over abstraction and over complication in engineering. This is somewhat because the company is a Java shop though, most Java shops have this problem.

- National Development is the owner of the office park, they are only OK. They have had a big construction project the last 2 years to try and make the park more attractive but they are only being partially successful and they have been very annoying during construction. During the project they damaged our building resulting in a long period of near freezing temperatures in part of the office, they cut power requiring us to shut down at least one day, the construction workers cut a gas line causing the park to be evacuated one day, the construction workers flooded the road one day causing an evacuation, and just an overall level of annoyance over a long period. They also don't do a great job with things like plowing when there is snow, keeping up with janitorial work, etc.. They also built the new restaurants, etc.. as far away from the offices as possible within the park. They said the new setup would be better for pedestrians and bicyclists and really only have delivered there. They built a bike lane on one side of the road that only goes halfway down the street. Crosswalks are a bit better than the old setup.

- The gym has actually somewhat gone downhill as a result of the renovation. In the long past the gym was run by Fitcorp and was very nice for an office gym. When National Dev. took over it became free but maintenance started going downhill. As of 2016 they took a bunch of gym + locker room space and leased it out to Life Cycle Fitness which is overall a negative, Life Cycle has a few classes a day that are seriously expensive and most of the time that space just sits there empty, meanwhile the rest of the gym is more crowded now and the locker room is super crowded.

- Hard to say if there is much room to advance here, typical small company stuff

Jan 17, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Wow, thanks for providing your review! We love that you took the time to share so many great things about Black Duck! Regarding your cons, we agree with you that construction at times has been ... More