Black Duck Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Black Duck Software Reviews

Updated March 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Er is een enorme kennis en kunde in het bedrijf rondom Open Source (in 9 reviews)

• The work environment brings is a healthy combination of fun and culture with professionalism and realism (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Hopefully they will improve as the company continues to grow (in 2 reviews)

• Our new CEO made some major changes, including removing some managers and making at least one bad choice of promotion (in 2 reviews)

"Fantastic work environment, clear direction, smart and positive co-workers"

Current Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Black Duck has exceeded all my expectations. The companies direction is very clear and the growth rate continues to impress. The work environment brings is a healthy combination of fun and culture with professionalism and realism. The pay is above industry average. The sales plan is very straight forward and easy to understand and track.

Cons

Nothing at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward at this pace!

"Great People - Beautiful Office - Exciting Company - Bright Future"

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time

Pros

I've never felt this welcome at any of the previous companies that I've worked for. Everyone including the CEO and Sr Management are approachable and extremely friendly. I have worked here for just under a year, and my experience has been incredible. Black Duck offers a very collaborative, fun, high energy and innovative culture. Even if you take away the free food, the awesome parties, games, onsite gym, office outings, and all the other amenities - you would still be working with some of the best people at an exciting growing company.

Cons

The benefits aren't the best, but I think they are pretty standard for company of this size. Hopefully they will improve as the company continues to grow. There can also be a bit of traffic due to the location, but that's hard to hold that against them.

"Not the company it used to be...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people to work with in QA

Cons

Some of the reviews on here are clearly written by management given how over inflated they are. This company used to be much more efficient but is now a glorified frat house.
    It appears as though human resources is doing nothing about the excessive turnover. The pay is no longer competitive either.

"Benefits"

Pros

Good Medical Coverage, 401K Match

Cons

Unlimited vacation policy doesn't really mean unlimited and you don't get to accrue any in the event you leave the company.

Advice to Management

Increase match to 401K

Black Duck Software Response

Nov 17, 2016 – Senior Corporate Recruiter

Great news! Management listened and increased our 401k matching contribution! Thanks for your feedback and keep providing it, we really appreciate it!

"Nice people and excellent culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and definitely getting higher reputation and more market share after partnered with RedHat and IBM.

The culture team and culture ambassador have been doing a great job. There is a party almost every month with different themes.
    People in the engineer team are nice. I don't know about other teams.
    Flexible time. We could work from home if necessary, as least for engineers. Workload depends on the project you are woking on. It could get busy and boring.

Cons

The insurance plan is a little expensive.
    No lunch.
    Snack needs more variety, we need more healthy food such as Trader Joe's product instead of energy bar, chips and cookies.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time

Pros

Vibrant work culture. Growing company. Access to gym and fitness classes.

Cons

Some of the systems could use updating.

Advice to Management

Keep the place growing.

"Not the company it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started working at Black Duck I thought this was the best company I had ever worked for. And possibly ever would work for. I told my friends, “OMG, I’ve found a unicorn!”

We had a week of new hire training, where I got to meet all of the senior management (it had been six months at my previous job before I had even laid eyes on the CEO). I was super impressed with the management (which is rare, usually there is at least one example of the Peter Principal in every company). The people are excellent, very bright, willing to help out, and willing to mentor and train new hires.

The technology that you work with is cutting edge and very cool. You have lots of opportunities to learn new technologies and useful skills. There is lots of cross-functional interaction between departments. And anyone can contribute ideas or take on projects. My manager granted me a great deal of leeway as far as making improvements, making changes to improve efficiencies, etc.

I felt like this was a place that I could learn and grow for a long time without getting bored. Plus the company culture is fun, with black rubber duckies, social activities like a Talk Like a Pirate Day, Halloween costume contests, and other fun themed social gatherings. And have I mentioned the really great people you get to work with?

Cons

For me the company culture changed considerably when we had a change of CEO in December 2014. Our new CEO made some major changes, including removing some managers and making at least one bad choice of promotion. We immediately began to hemorrhage good people, because rude and demeaning behavior that that might be tolerable from a peer becomes intolerable once that bully is your manager.

In the 18 months after our CEO changeover we lost our entire layer of senior management (everyone listed on the Management page of the web site is new in their position). We also lost about 45 out of 180 employees, which is 25% turnover in 18 months (and those are just the people that I’m aware of!). HR can’t hire fast enough to keep up with the people who are leaving. In May 2015, there were 30 open positions waiting to be filled. In July 2015 there were 27 open positions listed, many of them the same reqs that had been open for months. The week I gave my notice, four of us announced that we were leaving. If you choose to take a job at Black Duck, be sure to ask questions about the workload, staffing in your department, and if there is anyone available to train you who has been there longer than a year?

The company as a whole lacks process. They say they’re doing Agile, but other than having daily standups, they’re really not following Agile processes. But there are no sprint planning meetings or sprint retrospectives, so nobody really learns from their mistakes. The release cycles are unreasonable, with too many features and not enough testing time. Product Management needs a better road map and vision for their products. And they need to be proactive in planning the product suite, instead of reacting to customer demands for customization. Adding features just to appease the customers who scream the loudest is a lousy way to design a product.

Black Duck is no longer the company that I came to work for. The company culture has changed from one of technical innovation to a frat house, where there is free beer in the kitchen, a ping-pong table in the sales area, and a dart board in the developer cubicles. The news on the television monitors in the kitchen has been replaced by ESPN. If you don’t enjoy a sports/frat house company culture, then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

People don’t leave companies they leave bad managers. Take a look at where you're losing people, and consider some leadership training.

401(k) match is much more important that free beer and snacks. When we can't get new hires because we're offering low salaries and no 401(k) match it's time to reassess your compensation plan.

Also, stop posting faux positive reviews here. The number of nearly identical five star reviews is a dead giveaway. When the top positive reviews all contain the phrase “Keep up the good work” as their advice to management and the only con is “the commute”? Yeah, that’s not suspicious at all.

"Thin ice"

Former Employee - Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Burlington, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leading company in open source governance
    Years ahead of competitors in many areas
    You may be able to plug in the latest and coolest stuff to a product
    Beer on tap

Cons

Upper managers in engineering keep skating on the thin ice of poorly-maintained, aging product implementations
    Older workers in engineering disappear every five to eight weeks
    Lack of technology vision or architecture
    Serious territorialism and favoritism
    "Unlimited" vacation? Not really
    Surprisingly high stress for a company reporting a lot of profit and commercial success
    High-level Scapegoating
    Zero career development
    Employee evaluations might not mention anything on your job description

Advice to Management

You have to finish purging the rotting deadwood of the old regime. They are lying to you. Everything going on suggests you're prepping some kind of selloff or merger for late 2015, and you're basing those plans on appearances. Cut deep and find the reality.

"Working in sales"

Former Employee - Field Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Field Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Black Duck Software (More than a year)

Pros

Good technology concept and solution concept overall. Good Sales Consultants/SEs. Very strong brand recognition due to previous strong marketing team, especially covering LinkedIn, and other social media. Good pay if meeting goals. Used to have great benefits due to good HR VP and CEO (both now gone).

Cons

Political if you're not in hq. Out of sight, out of mind. Heard now many original good marketing folks have left for greener pastures. New management has changed culture to becoming more of an insides sales co. Changed benefits incl vacation time.

Advice to Management

BDS had an Ok culture but seems to be more cut throat now. Stay more current with updates and changes in the market as competition is looming.

"Rough Waters"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open source is growing at an astronomical rate. If this company can modernize its approach, it will be able to take advantage of a tidal wave.

Cons

Software is antiquated. They are replatforming. Will it be successful? Entire management team has been replaced in just a little over a year. Everyone is new. Lots of turnover. They are working to establish a culture, which at this point seems to value youth over experience.