Black Hills Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

David R. Emery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "CustomerService Representive"

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time

Pros

good benefits and positive work environment 90%

Cons

It is still a basic call center where your availability when they need you trumps all and their requirements can change to feeling like demands very quickly regardless of past performance.

Advice to Management

spend more time explaining procedures and expectations to the employees instead of a lazy parent mentality of; when questioned answers because I said so. So much of the day to practice that they have when questioned as to why your answer from multiple members of management is that's the way we have always done it or you have to do it this way because we can not do it any other way.

2. "I worked as an intern at the power plant"

Current Intern - Intern
    Current Intern - Intern

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation as an intern

Pros

Very nice people and lots of stuff to see.
    Cool stuff to do when you have work.
    People respect you and watch out for you.

Cons

Lots of down time it seems like

Advice to Management

nothing really but find more work for interns

3. "Commercial Credit Analyst"

Current Employee - Commercial Credit Analyst in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Commercial Credit Analyst in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stability within this company is solid

Cons

Income growth within this company is limited

Advice to Management

Create incentives to motivate success

4. "Customer Service Specialst"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Great Benefits, Good hard working culture. Great co-workers. 401k match up to 6%, Good bonus structure

Cons

Company is all about their share holders and will literally kick employees to the curb to make sure they post profits. It does not matter to them how long the employees have worked for them, anyone is dispensable to them.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing, don't use the backs of your employees to make you more money. Make morally correct decisions, don't take the easy way out.

"Growing Utility"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Performance is recognized and needed to advance

Cons

High expectations to deliver results that can result in more work than some are willing to do

Advice to Management

Be more open with information, trust your employees and push to understand their perspective

"Too many take-overs, not enough integration"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are really nice. Most have been with the company for 5-10 years, which says a lot for the company.
    Stable industry & business model from generation through end-user.
    They put a lot into internal communications... almost too much. (Daily rah-rah emails really are not necessary._

Cons

Too Many Meetings. Collaboration is great, but dear god let people do their jobs instead of just talking about what needs to be done!
    They are overly focused on their stock holders and not their customers (I came from an acquired company that put our customers first.)
    They pat themselves on the back for knowing all there is to know about everything, and will not actually listen to any ideas from acquired companies or adopt "best practices" like they said they would, especially if it involves spending money on new systems or changing the way they have always done things. They won't allow us to go to industry meetings like we use to, even though I found those to be really helpful and reenergizing to talk to others in the industry.
    They told the PUCs that new employees would be integrated and they would examine & keep best systems. Not true. We're going back in time to out-dated billing & customer service systems, horrid intranet, accounting and HR systems.
    Employees coming from acquired companies are not exactly being welcomed with open arms. There's definitely a lot of animosity from legacy BH people who don't want anything to do with their new colleagues, and resent having to work with them.
    Rapid City for HQ. It's great you want to support the community you started in, but no one outside of SD wants to move there. Really. Let us stay where you hired us - technology makes it possible for us to still do our jobs. I don't mind coming up to visit once a month or once a quarter, but no I do not want to live there.

Advice to Management

You need more day-to-day contact with the teams you over-see. I've been able to meet all of the senior leadership and they're great people, but the folks in Rapid City seem to be completely intimidated by the SLT, and it's like they're kept off-limits on their own floor where they don't have to interact with the worker-bees. I hope at the new building, the VPs will sit with their teams, not all on one executive level where they're avoided by everyone below them.

No one wants to move to Rapid City. Ever. Even with the new fancy building. Let people stay in the office where you acquired them (Arkansas, Denver, Omaha, wherever!) Seriously, no one wants to move there.

"Sounds good on paper"

Pros

The co-workers are the best part of my job. Everyone seems to work well together and have each others backs. There are good benefits, insurance and PTO.

Cons

Upper management has no concern for their employees, they are just about the bottom dollar. The vision and mission of the company sound great, but the leaders do not "walk the walk." Front line employees are the least of the companies concern and this is starting to have a direct effect on customers. Advancement is more who you know than what you know or do.

Advice to Management

Work to move the company into the current workforce culture. Utilities will always be a necessity, but that doesn't guarantee success for a poorly run company.

8. "A stable job"

Pros

Great benefits and pay. Awesome co-workers. Entry level positions are fantastic.

Cons

While the pay and benefits are good, employees don't seem to be appreciated. Company is not very loyal to their employees. Advancement within company is very limited. Lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Strive to be proactive and appreciate and welcome new ideas, instead of being reactive to a bad situation.

9. "Software Developer"

Current Contractor - Web Applications Developer in Denver, CO
    Current Contractor - Web Applications Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The company industry is in the energy services sector, so most employment positions are stable at this time, across 8 mid-western and western states. The recent merger with Source Gas has created more opportunities for project and consolidation work.

Cons

The corporation overall is mired in stodgy legacy enterprise applications and initiatives. Some of the planned migrations, to antiquated legacy systems (like Cobol-based Asset Suite) are targeted for roll-out in a too-far-out two years (2017Q4). Management doesn't have a clear vision to improve the IT infrastructure. To an agile technology employee, this is frustrating. Also, a large majority of the (BHC) employees (not Source Gas?) are old-school (Rapid City) personnel, that could also use a mentality modernization.

Advice to Management

Reduce future costs by investing in competent employees coupled with modern IT systems.

"Great workplace"

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really like the work environment, flexible schedules, and management.

Cons

As any job goes, most people feel "overworked", but I think staying busy is a good thing.