Black Hills Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Black Hills Corporation Chairman and Chief Executive Officer David R. Emery
David R. Emery

1. "CustomerService Representive"

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time

Pros

good benefits and positive work environment 90%

Cons

It is still a basic call center where your availability when they need you trumps all and their requirements can change to feeling like demands very quickly regardless of past performance.

Advice to Management

spend more time explaining procedures and expectations to the employees instead of a lazy parent mentality of; when questioned answers because I said so. So much of the day to practice that they have when questioned as to why your answer from multiple members of management is that's the way we have always done it or you have to do it this way because we can not do it any other way.

2. "took it Took it therefore i am"

I worked at Black Hills Corporation full-time

Pros

Took about 3-4 weeks to get a call for the video interview.

Cons

Took it therefore i am

Advice to Management

Took it

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Credit & Collections Associate in Papillion, NE
    Former Employee - Credit & Collections Associate in Papillion, NE

I worked at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits and competitive salary. There was a lot of focus on individual development and growth.

Cons

Company acquisitions mean a lot of lay offs.

4. "Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Gillette, WY
    Former Employee - Intern in Gillette, WY

Pros

Great people to work with. Didn't feel like you were going to work, it was enjoyable. Good opportunity for growth and movement.

Cons

Limited location only in the west/Midwest currently.

5. "Commercial Credit Analyst"

Current Employee - Commercial Credit Analyst in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Commercial Credit Analyst in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stability within this company is solid

Cons

Income growth within this company is limited

Advice to Management

Create incentives to motivate success

6. "Great experience"

Pros

Really great group of people to work with!

Cons

There were no major cons - I loved my time spent there.

7. "Customer Service Specialst"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Great Benefits, Good hard working culture. Great co-workers. 401k match up to 6%, Good bonus structure

Cons

Company is all about their share holders and will literally kick employees to the curb to make sure they post profits. It does not matter to them how long the employees have worked for them, anyone is dispensable to them.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing, don't use the backs of your employees to make you more money. Make morally correct decisions, don't take the easy way out.

"Growing Utility"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Performance is recognized and needed to advance

Cons

High expectations to deliver results that can result in more work than some are willing to do

Advice to Management

Be more open with information, trust your employees and push to understand their perspective

"Too many take-overs, not enough integration"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are really nice. Most have been with the company for 5-10 years, which says a lot for the company.
    Stable industry & business model from generation through end-user.
    They put a lot into internal communications... almost too much. (Daily rah-rah emails really are not necessary._

Cons

Too Many Meetings. Collaboration is great, but dear god let people do their jobs instead of just talking about what needs to be done!
    They are overly focused on their stock holders and not their customers (I came from an acquired company that put our customers first.)
    They pat themselves on the back for knowing all there is to know about everything, and will not actually listen to any ideas from acquired companies or adopt "best practices" like they said they would, especially if it involves spending money on new systems or changing the way they have always done things. They won't allow us to go to industry meetings like we use to, even though I found those to be really helpful and reenergizing to talk to others in the industry.
    They told the PUCs that new employees would be integrated and they would examine & keep best systems. Not true. We're going back in time to out-dated billing & customer service systems, horrid intranet, accounting and HR systems.
    Employees coming from acquired companies are not exactly being welcomed with open arms. There's definitely a lot of animosity from legacy BH people who don't want anything to do with their new colleagues, and resent having to work with them.
    Rapid City for HQ. It's great you want to support the community you started in, but no one outside of SD wants to move there. Really. Let us stay where you hired us - technology makes it possible for us to still do our jobs. I don't mind coming up to visit once a month or once a quarter, but no I do not want to live there.

Advice to Management

You need more day-to-day contact with the teams you over-see. I've been able to meet all of the senior leadership and they're great people, but the folks in Rapid City seem to be completely intimidated by the SLT, and it's like they're kept off-limits on their own floor where they don't have to interact with the worker-bees. I hope at the new building, the VPs will sit with their teams, not all on one executive level where they're avoided by everyone below them.

No one wants to move to Rapid City. Ever. Even with the new fancy building. Let people stay in the office where you acquired them (Arkansas, Denver, Omaha, wherever!) Seriously, no one wants to move there.

"Constant acquisitions make for bad workplace"

I worked at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, summer hours, insurance… your benefits at BHE are great. If you're the unambitious type who is looking for an easy place to work, this is a great place to coast.

Cons

Their strategy is unsustainable. Basically, BHE wants to continue acquiring other utilities, not fully integrating them before they are on to the next acquisition. While they claim they are following an integration plan, employees don't know each other and processes are extremely clunky, resulting in wasted money duplicating tasks. Not to mention the "good old boys club" is strong there. The worst, though, is their goal to "meet" environmental goals but never exceed them, claiming their customers don't want renewable energy. Zero commitment to the environment or long-term strategic planning. And no, buying another company next year is not strategic.

Advice to Management

Before you focus on who to buy next, why not take a look at how you can save money internally streamlining processes?