Black Hills Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Black Hills Corporation Reviews

Updated November 2, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Customer Service Specialst"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Great Benefits, Good hard working culture. Great co-workers. 401k match up to 6%, Good bonus structure

Cons

Company is all about their share holders and will literally kick employees to the curb to make sure they post profits. It does not matter to them how long the employees have worked for them, anyone is dispensable to them.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing, don't use the backs of your employees to make you more money. Make morally correct decisions, don't take the easy way out.

"Growing Utility"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Performance is recognized and needed to advance

Cons

High expectations to deliver results that can result in more work than some are willing to do

Advice to Management

Be more open with information, trust your employees and push to understand their perspective

"Too many take-overs, not enough integration"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are really nice. Most have been with the company for 5-10 years, which says a lot for the company.
    Stable industry & business model from generation through end-user.
    They put a lot into internal communications... almost too much. (Daily rah-rah emails really are not necessary._

Cons

Too Many Meetings. Collaboration is great, but dear god let people do their jobs instead of just talking about what needs to be done!
    They are overly focused on their stock holders and not their customers (I came from an acquired company that put our customers first.)
    They pat themselves on the back for knowing all there is to know about everything, and will not actually listen to any ideas from acquired companies or adopt "best practices" like they said they would, especially if it involves spending money on new systems or changing the way they have always done things. They won't allow us to go to industry meetings like we use to, even though I found those to be really helpful and reenergizing to talk to others in the industry.
    They told the PUCs that new employees would be integrated and they would examine & keep best systems. Not true. We're going back in time to out-dated billing & customer service systems, horrid intranet, accounting and HR systems.
    Employees coming from acquired companies are not exactly being welcomed with open arms. There's definitely a lot of animosity from legacy BH people who don't want anything to do with their new colleagues, and resent having to work with them.
    Rapid City for HQ. It's great you want to support the community you started in, but no one outside of SD wants to move there. Really. Let us stay where you hired us - technology makes it possible for us to still do our jobs. I don't mind coming up to visit once a month or once a quarter, but no I do not want to live there.

Advice to Management

You need more day-to-day contact with the teams you over-see. I've been able to meet all of the senior leadership and they're great people, but the folks in Rapid City seem to be completely intimidated by the SLT, and it's like they're kept off-limits on their own floor where they don't have to interact with the worker-bees. I hope at the new building, the VPs will sit with their teams, not all on one executive level where they're avoided by everyone below them.

No one wants to move to Rapid City. Ever. Even with the new fancy building. Let people stay in the office where you acquired them (Arkansas, Denver, Omaha, wherever!) Seriously, no one wants to move there.

"Constant acquisitions make for bad workplace"

I worked at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, summer hours, insurance… your benefits at BHE are great. If you're the unambitious type who is looking for an easy place to work, this is a great place to coast.

Cons

Their strategy is unsustainable. Basically, BHE wants to continue acquiring other utilities, not fully integrating them before they are on to the next acquisition. While they claim they are following an integration plan, employees don't know each other and processes are extremely clunky, resulting in wasted money duplicating tasks. Not to mention the "good old boys club" is strong there. The worst, though, is their goal to "meet" environmental goals but never exceed them, claiming their customers don't want renewable energy. Zero commitment to the environment or long-term strategic planning. And no, buying another company next year is not strategic.

Advice to Management

Before you focus on who to buy next, why not take a look at how you can save money internally streamlining processes?

"Manager"

Pros

The company is Innovative as a general rule

Cons

Still acts like a small company even as it doubles customers and employees

Advice to Management

Follow the org chart down as you expect people to follow it up

"Sounds good on paper"

Pros

The co-workers are the best part of my job. Everyone seems to work well together and have each others backs. There are good benefits, insurance and PTO.

Cons

Upper management has no concern for their employees, they are just about the bottom dollar. The vision and mission of the company sound great, but the leaders do not "walk the walk." Front line employees are the least of the companies concern and this is starting to have a direct effect on customers. Advancement is more who you know than what you know or do.

Advice to Management

Work to move the company into the current workforce culture. Utilities will always be a necessity, but that doesn't guarantee success for a poorly run company.

7. "A stable job"

Pros

Great benefits and pay. Awesome co-workers. Entry level positions are fantastic.

Cons

While the pay and benefits are good, employees don't seem to be appreciated. Company is not very loyal to their employees. Advancement within company is very limited. Lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Strive to be proactive and appreciate and welcome new ideas, instead of being reactive to a bad situation.

"Sad and Comical at the Same Time"

Former Employee - IT Employee in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - IT Employee in Golden, CO

I worked at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

> Genuinely nice people.

> The CTO seems like a good person.

Cons

BHC acquired the company I worked for, SourceGas. They stood in front of our company and told us they would analyze our IT systems and keep the best-of-breed. That couldn't be further from the truth of how things unfolded.

> They truly believe they are an advanced company technology-wise to the point that as you're having a good laugh with their management on some of the system shortcomings you realize they aren't laughing with you and then you get sad because they really don't get it.

> As a result of acquiring so many companies they fast-track integrating systems and data without having a fundamental understanding of how the acquired system works. At that point you clearly see how unskilled their staff is as they unravel before your eyes.

> Their IT staff is massive and each little worker protects the tiny little world of tech they support at all costs resulting in a very stagnant skill set.

> It's a rodeo show so if you are ok with keeping quiet and watching their folks operate, you'll get a good laugh for a while. There's been some great shooting from the hip-type stuff that you just have to shake your head at and let play out because clearly they know better than you do.

> Rapid City. They don't even have high-speed internet...THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE HIGH SPEED INTERNET.

"Some Departments Better than Others"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An electric and gas utility is generally a very stable company. Black Hills excels in their main business, and the mine-to-mouth generation model is probably the most robust when facing recent emissions restrictions. Some groups are on the cutting-edge of adopting the latest technologies.

Cons

Like most utilities, BHC suffers from a workforce that is rapidly approaching retirement. They will need workers to take over many roles, but training developed is not sufficient to adequately prepare those new hires to replace the decades of retiree's experience. While work/life balance is advertised as "great," in actuality it is as lacking as you would expect from a company where you bill time by the quarter-hour.

"Great workplace"

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really like the work environment, flexible schedules, and management.

Cons

As any job goes, most people feel "overworked", but I think staying busy is a good thing.