Black & Veatch Reviews in Cerritos, CA | Glassdoor

Cerritos, CA

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Edwards

Pros
  • The work/life balance is phenomenal (in 38 reviews)

• 9/80 schedule is pretty awesome (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • B&V will sell your soul faster than their own grandmother (in 20 reviews)

• Old boys club - new ideas are frowned upon - no work/life balance - be here now mentality - terrible old systems (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great company but disfunctional satellite office"

Former Employee - Project Facilitator in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Project Facilitator in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Annual merit aka "cost of living" raises, annual bonuses. Stock and 401k contribution, very good health benefits, flexible schedule

Cons

Chaotic environment, little or no process or procedure, always short staffed, frequent changes in management, poor incompetent management, no consequences for employees who aren't performing well as long as they are allied with someone in management, similarly it doesn't matter how well you perform if you don't play politics and align with the right people. Chronic low morale. If/when you get laid off (as was my case) no severance package (even after 5 years) ouch!

2. "Telecommunications company"

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Cerritos, CA
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Black & Veatch as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work in the office managing the client and vendors while still being out in the field visiting jurisdictions and landlords in the Los Angeles Market.

Cons

The lack of work in this office created many layoffs. Employee morale and the office environment began to decline.

"Good experience"

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Cerritos, CA

Pros

The hours and the time off were very nice. I think the work and life balance was excellent.

Cons

Few openings in upper management. Not a lot of room to move around within the area office. But if someone is willing to relocate.

Advice to Management

hold individuals more accountable for their job positions.

"Company as a whole has such a great reputation. Cerritos telecommunications office really ruins that reputation."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many pros. Got a work laptop on my first day, but that is pretty standard for all jobs nowadays.

Cons

1. No training whatsoever. Promised an sop in order to become acquainted with the terminology and processes. Never received sop.
    2. Supervisor is not helpful and does not want anyone to grow intellectually. When asked for more work, she/he will not delegate any work to me and instead treats me as if I am uneducated and slow.
    3. 8 out of the 9 hours I am here, I have nothing to do.
    4. Whole office is extremely unprofessional. I hear swearing and racial remarks on a daily basis.
    5. Very uneducated office. From the people I have met, they have no desire to further themselves in their career or education.
    6. Have talked to several people in the office who have similar feelings to mine.
    7. Very poorly managed.

Advice to Management

Get more acquainted with what is going on in the office. A majority of employees, including myself are frustrated with how the office is being run.

5. "Frustrating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some really good people that worked there whom dedicated many, many hours to build a client base and grow the wireless division at the California office. The large company, stability, and employee incentives attracted a lot of talent.

Cons

The headquarters in Kansas did not understand the strict and complicated California permitting requirements, which lead to severe inefficiency for the local office to meet and exceed deadlines, causing substantially more work for staff whom were already overworked. In addition the Los Angeles office practiced extreme favoritism which eventually lead to many talented people leaving the company as they had no upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Work with the local offices to implement region specific and industry specific processes and requirements instead of a blanket standard process which create unnecessary work that staff will have to address which takes time and energy away from their jobs and production. As for the favoritism in the Los Angeles office, they know about it so they obviously made a decision not to do anything about it.

6. "Telecommunications"

Former Employee - Manager in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great local team with a lot of industry experience. They hire great local people.

Cons

Site Development and Construction teams are separate and do not work together well. The company encourages this dysfunctional setup. Most strategic decisions are made in corporate office in Kansas City. There is almost no telecommunications experience in Kansas City and this is obvious to the customer.

Advice to Management

Support the local offices better, they are the ones in front of the customer. The purpose of this business is support of the customer not support of the corporate office.