Black & Veatch Reviews in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

3.7
Steve Edwards

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Old boys club - new ideas are frowned upon - no work/life balance - be here now mentality - terrible old systems (in 11 reviews)

• Unfortunately, your lifetime at B&V will only be about 5 years (in 20 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Learning Experience"

Former Intern - Engineering Technician in Overland Park, KS
    Former Intern - Engineering Technician in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Black & Veatch as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Both my bosses and coworkers were incredibly kind - despite being a high school student, they treated me as a professional equal and respected my thoughts on projects. They also had a lot of wisdom to offer, from the engineering process to general professionalism, that truly made my time at B&V a learning experience.

Cons

Due to the nature of the industry, there were multiple occasions where the work flow was so diminished that we were out of work for some time; if you don't get entrenched in a long term project, expect to float a lot.

Advice to Management

Try to more clearly define workload for interns; it is difficult when low tide leaves little for them to do for a week at a time. Otherwise, your kindness, flexibility, and teaching is admirable and I could ask nothing more.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Project Administrator in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Project Administrator in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love that the professionals, that is what they called employees, shared their knowledge.

Cons

They lay off people when times are tough for the company

Advice to Management

give people a chance to move up.

"Engineer Tech"

Former Employee - Engineer Tech I in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Engineer Tech I in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The parking lot has nice landscaping.

Cons

This place is an illusion. You might think you work/belong there but you really do not. Egotistical, fake people Everywhere. If you are the type that lets your hard work speak for itself, do not, I repeat do not work here. They don't care. It's a popularity contest to get ahead. When that's what matters you're left with the blind leading the blind. To the drafters-
    I would have redlines from the graphics review, before it gets to engineering review. Those same corrections were corrections again when they got to engineering review, back to the original way I had them in the first place because I cared enough about what I was drawing to ger it right. These grades are important, but the reviewers did not know how to do their job. "Welcome to BV, where we try to seem sincere." This review is directed at the telecom division in Overland Park, Kansas.

Advice to Management

Learn the material, then you can tell people what to do.

"Company Lies, and Overpaid Management"

Former Employee - Senior Civil Engineer In Energy in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Civil Engineer In Energy in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once in a while, management doesn't lie to you.

Cons

New grads, DON'T COME HERE. You will be employed only as long as you never use any benefit they told you was available. If you use educational benefits for a Masters, they will lay you off. If you use family leave for sick kids, they will lay you off. If you use money for continuing education seminars and classes, they will lay you off. Management has decided that employees are not assets. They are liability. This mindset is a permanent feature of Black & Veatch. Only two types of people at this company. Yes men, and egomaniacs. Unfortunately, your lifetime at B&V will only be about 5 years. Then, they have to figure out who you are. And when it's all old white guys who golf more than they think, a lot of people get hurt down below.

Advice to Management

Stop being .. jerks. (Glassdoor wouldn't let my original word through.) Maybe move HR out of the projects. Take a pay cut, and save that 30 y/o version of yourself who you so casually disregard as useless in lay offs. Maybe marketing ISN'T such great way to blow dollars. Get back to quality engineering. Bottom line is getting pretty thin because you produce crap and your engineers hate working for you. Figure out why. Fire middle management and upper management IN THE SAME WAY you lay off project engineers. (An hour notice and you're escorted out the door.) Somehow that six figure salary seems a bit unfair to take away. Stop favoritism, and nepotism. I could go on, but why should I help save you? I'm one of the guys you let go.

5. "Good company"

Current Contractor - Engineering Technician in Kansas City, KS
    Current Contractor - Engineering Technician in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment and culture

Cons

Keeping long contingency time while no benefits

"Project Controls Manager"

Current Employee - Project Estimator in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Project Estimator in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is very well.

Cons

They are too top heavy when it comes to management.

"Black and Veatch has treated interns very well"

Current Intern - Electrical Engineer in Overland Park, KS
    Current Intern - Electrical Engineer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours (9/80 schedules), which means you have the option to have every other Friday off. There's also opportunity to change departments and discover your passion within the company.

Cons

Unclear career trajectory. They also seemed to have played up the potential to travel internationally a little more than what realistically happens to the typical employee.

Advice to Management

Keep up good treatment of interns! Should work well for employee retention.

"Basic Review"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good benefits and several opportunities.

Cons

Engineering focused company, bad technology and no culture.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employees and spend more money on technology in order to compete with competitors.

"This is a company that has lost its direction"

Current Employee - Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people and a highly diverse workforce. Important work that truly improves communities. A wide variety of career paths and the opportunity to work virtually anywhere in the world.

Cons

The company has lost its focus, which is really unfortunate given its 100+ year history. Millions wasted every year in special initiatives and consultants that tell us what we should already know. Top leadership of the company and most business units have built an echo chamber around themselves, applying the same solutions to the same problems and getting the same poor results.

Advice to Management

Guys, it's not hard. Engineers are good at engineering. Get real business minds in to lead growth initiatives. Establish a legitimate sales force and stop thinking engineers can sell, market, project manage and grow the business. If you were serious about changing the culture, restructure to break down the organizational barriers that have kept revenues stagnant for nearly a decade. Bring in outside perspectives. Eliminate wasteful and unproductive initiatives.

10. "Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer IV in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer IV in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable, Secure, International opportunities and reputable

Cons

They don't lay off enough of the bottom performers. Any warm body can keep a job at BV.

The HQ is severely depressing. I dread the office and would much rather just work from home.

Advice to Management

Lay off your bottom performers and hire externally.

The HQ is severely depressing. Innovative people don't live in the suburbs and live exciting lives. Get an office downtown like a real professional company. Overland Park is where people go to die.