Black & Veatch Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Steve Edwards

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Maybe they could improve work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Honestly hard to come up with 20 words of cons for B&V (in 19 reviews)

1. "Great company, slow pace of change"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee-owned with decent benifits. Involved in lots of industries so the work isn’t boring. Paid time off is comparable to others in the industry.

Cons

Slow to change and embrace new things. Everything is Overland Park based, the remote offices don’t get as much say as they should.

Advice to Management

Push the decision making down a level or two. Empower the leaders to create change. Trim the middle Management layer, too many layers to be effective.

2. "A great place for opportunity."

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for growth. Work on a wide variety of projects at once.

Cons

Having a laptop provided by the company doesn't mean you can work from home.

Advice to Management

Love working at Black and Veatch

3. "Entry Level Structural Engineer poistion"

Former Contractor - Structural Engineer in Overland Park, KS
    Former Contractor - Structural Engineer in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Black & Veatch as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and the supervisors are really good and helpful.

Cons

Very high load of work and stress due to the type of the project. Not enough recognition for the hard work the employees put in.

Advice to Management

Hire your best performing contracts instead of just letting them go and hiring new people who you don't know if they will be a good fit or not.

"Lots of project diversity. Great place for an ambitious electrical engineer."

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer IV in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer IV in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Project diversity: this was one of the best reasons to work at Black and Veatch. As an electrical engineer, I was always looking forward to my next big project and luckily there was a lot of it coming to B&V. The power delivery group especially is growing and growing fast. Allowing you to work on some very cool and complex projects with large teams and clients. Multiple projects at once was also possible if you were ambitious enough.

-There is definitely a hierarchy just like any big organization but the structure is very organized and merits you based on your efforts. For example, if you achieve your PE then you are promoted and can take on supervision roles.

-Multiple offices: if you are looking for a change in location, B&V will definitely work to accommodate your request. Nice thing is that many offices are in or around big cities and in very attractive locations all around the world.

-Resources: because of the size of the company, there’s always someone somewhere that can answer your question. Whether it is technical or administrative in nature, someone will help out.

Cons

-Strict policies: there are some old policies at BV that have remained for probably as long as the company has lasted and seem to be like the 10 commandments that cannot and won’t be changed. Even though times have changed, the company is not competitive in certain areas. For example, vacation still starts at 2 weeks, and after the PE or 5 BV year’s it is bumped to 3 weeks.

-Compensation: even after someone achieves their PE, I believe the compensation is not competitive. A fresh PE inside the company is looking at mid 80s whereas other companies will start at mid 90s.

-Bonus: the bonus structure is limited to people that have their PE or higher. Not a great incentive for fresh grads.

Advice to Management

Times have changed, so the company should adapt to modern competitive policies in order to retain their employees. The turnover in BV is high for regional offices primarily because employees feel like they are not heard and they aren’t because some policies are not being changed in order to accommodate employee’s special circumstances.

5. "Project Controls"

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Many opportunities to move around if the need or want is there. Great benefits.

Cons

Being Compensated for the role you play can take a bit of time to get or may have to leave company to get it.

6. "Good company"

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time

Pros

Great company to start your career in! Found great mentors

Cons

Maybe they could improve work/life balance

7. "Company has a lot of potential, but management tends to step over dollars to save pennies."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strategic and somewhat organized. The old guard is mostly gone. They have a lot of potential, but still very old school.

Cons

Competition has poached a lot of the talent and thought leadership. They are loading the talent battle with the more advanced KC firms.

Advice to Management

Good job on building a solid company. Now retire you old farts.

"It's like I work there full time"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Black & Veatch as an intern

Pros

Best internship I've had! I feel like I have the same responsibilities as the other people I'm working with. You really get out what you put in.

Cons

Work can get repetitive.

9. "Great company compared to other engineering firms"

Former Employee - Process Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Process Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very organised, good staff autonomy, good pay compared to other firms. Staff are well rewarded for their work. Compared to other engineering firms, no apparent career disadvantage to females.

Cons

Work can be difficult. Be prepared to work over your contracted hours as there is a lot of work to get through.

10. "Project Controls"

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time

Pros

Big company , many projects , options to move between divisions. Good compensation packages

Cons

Vertical movement is difficult. Many changes in company structure over the time I have been working there

Advice to Management

Diversify and lead, don’t follow