BlackBerry Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen
John Chen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Rim, great intern experience"

Former Employee - Tester in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Tester in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

A lot of interns there.

Cons

Have to live in waterloo :p

Advice to Management

More responsibility for interns

2. "RIM is better than most in the area"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

compensation, people, technology, innovation, flexibility with hours, competent employees

Cons

vacation is a little on the low side for experienced developers, have to do support

Advice to Management

none

3. "No better place to be"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Its the land of opportunity. You can grow your career in whatever direction you want within RIM. The organization is very helpful in guiding and supporting their direction. Theres on catch though. You need to want it and have a positive attitude. Company does treat its employees very well however, id like to see improvements in compensation. I feel like im compensated appropriately but i know of others who arent given a fair deal. The people at RIM are awesome. Young, vibrant and very motivated work force. we work hard but we play hard too. Tonnes of open positions. apply!

Cons

Very busy. Most times its good but there are the times where you wish you didnt have so many things to do. Its rewarding though. Salary could use some work in some areas. Salary doesnt tend to match up to their pay philosophy. Some managers are promoted not based on their competencies rather tenure which have proven to fail in some cases. Their telecommuting policies are a little outdated too. its 2008 and there is a tonne of data suggesting how effective telecommuting can be. I think they need to losen that policy to allow out of towners, who are proven great employees to work from home once or twice a week.

Advice to Management

our business units need to work together more effectively.

4. "A great place to work that experiences growing pains regularly."

Current Employee - Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

From my first day on the job I was a permanent employee with full benefits complete with medical coverage and vacation time. There have been a ton of opportunities that have presented themselves in the past few years that included professional training that will transfer to companies outside of RIM, two promotions and six months living in Singapore.
    One of my favourite parts though is the culture of employees. For the first time in my life, I am surrounded by people who enjoy many of the same hobbies as me and enjoy watching the quirky indie movies that I enjoy. Having co-workers that I relate to makes it easier to show up for work when things go stupid in the office (which will happen in any job).

Cons

The explosive growth of the BlackBerry has meant the company has had to grow over the past few years and change the support model we are providing for our customers. This growth means that many of the most talented people have been promoted out of positions without sufficiently talented people to fill their space when they've started their new role. While this kind of expansion creates lots of opportunities for employees, it also means it is hard to keep up with all of the changes and knowing who to go to for help at times or what procedure to follow when an uncommon situation comes up.
    The only other downside is one that I knew going into the job, the hours. The support center is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year which means there needs to be staffing for all of that time. Currently, the schedules are given out 5 to 6 weeks in advance but they can seem random and unfair at times with some people working more of the less desirable shifts than others.

Advice to Management

My biggest piece of advice would be that management's role is to manage the company. I have seen too many times where a decision needs to be made that affects the whole office and the employees are brought in to help shape policies and adjust the workflow to meet the increasing demands of our customers. It is a good thing to pay attention to what employees want and to be open to suggestions but setting up committees of members with almost no management experience to make managerial decisions that need to be approved by management drags out the process of change and introduces too much uncertainty into regular employees days.

"RIM is Great"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great teamwork. Great management. Great career advancement opportunities. Free BlackBerry. Individual contributors get lots of decision making input. The company has grown fast, so a lot of business processes are struggling to catch up. Still, the company is moving in the right direction, the right projects have been green lit. the red tape is kept to a minimum, lots of application integration is going on. You can really go in and make your mark early. Past experience in other companies is invaluable in helping you shape the culture, teams, and processes of a growning company playing catch up. Great fun.

Cons

You've got to be on all the time. the bar is set high. The BlackBerry means you're never really off the clock.

Advice to Management

More product info for the employees. Sell devices at discounted prices in Waterloo. Make the whole community ambassadors for RIM. Keep expanding market share in the consumer space.

6. "RIM is a great place to work, if you work hard you will do well."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Nice to work with Smart people
    Any time you need something to do your job its provided.
    upper management rewards people who perform well.
    Its exciting to work with a company that is on the leading edge of technology.

Cons

Work life balance is sometimes compromised. however if you want to get ahead any any company i think that is something that we have all come to expect.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Great place to work but mind the growing pains"

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

The single reason is the people there. When I first came in, I was amazed at how friendly and helpful everybody was and now that I've been here for six months, I'm still really amazed - this is somewhere in which everybody wants to share in the company's success! The products are very exciting and there is still enough of the start up mentality here that you can make a difference. RIM will probably double in size over the next year, so there are still a lot of opportunities for advancement or to carve out a career for yourself that fits your personality and skills.

Cons

There are some senior managers that are too entrenched in their positions and have grown somewhat bitter and cynical (if that seems possible). For these people, there needs to be some kind of re-energization process to be put into account.

The place is growing very, very quickly. It is difficult to find a parking space when you come in and chances are your manager won't be able to find a desk for you.

Finally, there is a lot to learn, I spent the first month there wondering if it was all a test (setting up my laptop, BlackBerry, system access, etc.) to see how well I could cope - this is very intimidating for many new employees.

Advice to Management

Set your focus on product quality and completeness. The need to get new products to the market is understood but we have to make sure that everything is done right.

Ignore the market and ignore Apple. We have a great product and the only thing holding us back is quality when we release.

8. "RIM is a great place to work for"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Free blackberry and company is coming up! Stocks have been going down but however, you can definitely see a lot of potential in the company once you see their future product lineup. It's a very dynamic and young environment and is great for individuals to start their carrier with. Great company!

Cons

from an engineering perspective - mostly software jobs for computer engineers - lacks hardware jobs. Sometimes, jobs can get dis interesting and monotonous. Company is undergoing a huge expansion - so be weary of being sucked into the wrong department - maybe a department you will not like.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money! You are loosing millions of dollars in scrapped blackberries!

"World class organization with great focus and deep-rooted desire to innovate!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great people, young and driven, very enthusiastic about work, the continuous drive to improve and exceed expectations. We produce some great products, and that's because of the strong passion displayed by our leaders to continue and exceed customer expectations.

Cons

Not as many frills in terms of lunches and random perks of the sort. The company is frugal but never cheap.

Advice to Management

Consolidate some teams - we're growing like wildfire and may be repeating tasks or certain tasks can be managed better by other teams in different organizations within the company.

"Great work-life balance!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great work-life balance, great benefits and perks, training provided to advance skills and career development, RIM is very community consious and gives back. Opportunity to work with an industry leading company with lots of opportunities to move within the organization and around the world to other RIM locations. Pay and Bonus are rewarded based on both employee and company performance therefore rewarding a team and individual effort.

Cons

location not attractive to some people, sometimes resistant to change as some people who have been with the company from the beginning think things can still be done the same as when RIM was 100 people.

Advice to Management

better long term direction,

Showing 931 of 2,063 reviews