BlackBerry Reviews in Fort Lauderdale, FL | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Good"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Benefits. Amazing health care as well as dental and eye Care. Bonuses are also available which means the company is going in the right direction.

Cons

Limited/ Slow personal growth within the organization. There is more restructuring than employee centered activities that improve morale

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Canadian Hubris"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at BlackBerry (More than a year)

Pros

You ask me what brought Blackberry down? Simple, Canadian hubris. I love our friends to the North but this was a case of Canadian hyper-nationalism gone wild. It is no secret that Canadians love themselves some Canada, but in this case it came to a head and the Canadians failed. The Blackberry, then known as Research In Motion, stuck their heads in the sand as the bubble grew to alarming levels and did nothing to prepare for the coming burst and fierce competition from Apple and Samsung. Blackberry thought that their model of efficiency and long battery life would hold up when it comes to features. WRONG. They failed to see that people gladly gave up battery life for supreme performance, large beautiful displays, and thin phones. <continued in cons section>

Cons

Blackberry's growth was the precursor to its downfall. Their massive growth led to the hiring of inexperienced and incompetent leadership at the corporate headquarters and even with the hiring of experienced product teams in other locations, the Canadian hubris struck again and they ignored the advice of the other teams. Leadership stuck their heads in the sand as critics both internal and external shouted that our phones were woefully underpowered. The response was tantamount to "we invented the smartphone we know what were doing." All the while Apple was running circles around Blackberry.

Advice to Management

None -- Blackberry as we once knew it no longer exists and one of the few vestiges of the days of the smartphone hardware department is on life support.

3. "Great for intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at BlackBerry as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of exposure to current technologies

Cons

Was huge at that time

Advice to Management

Well too late i guess

4. "3-Month Internship - Absolutely loved it"

Former Employee - Competitive Intelligence Assistant, Student in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

*Company loves students
    *Incredible group of like-minded, intelligent interns, and we had a blast
    *Work life balance - 40 hour work weeks (for me) and generally commitment based. Some of my
    friends worked more but never too much more that I saw
    *Nicest people ever. My whole team was great (the actual employees, not interns) and really supported me
    *Very competitive sallary for a internship
    *Free blackberry and full voice and data service while working for them

Cons

*Not the fast-paced environment some might be looking for in places like Google and Facebook
    *Don't get to keep Blackberry after internship :)

Advice to Management

Innovate. Apple and Google will take you down if you don't take some risks with your phones. Loved my internship though. Amazing experience. :)

Showing 4 of 1,998 reviews