BlackBerry Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen
John Chen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "blackberry"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good salary.
    - Good environment.

Cons

- unstable.
    - need further products.

Advice to Management

- good strategy planning is required for company future.

2. "Exciting but challenging"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

There's big tasks to complete with (at least in my business unit) small teams, which means you're able to take a lot more responsibility on, and get experience with things that would likely be assigned to more senior individuals in other companies.

The tide is turning and BlackBerry is now re-investing in areas that they cut back on before when times were harder eg. facilities, employee events, IT.

Relatively flat structure - exposure to senior leaders comes early on, and assuming you're doing well, it can make a good impact on you career, and quickly.

Amazing people! I've never worked with people so dedicated and so loyal to their employer, despite all the changes. The emotional ties that people have to their co-workers and the brand is huge. Even across regions, I still feel connected and warm towards co-workers I've never worked with. Very good at inspiring those feelings, without any apparent action from the company. BB seems to attract the kind of people that builds and develops that lovely feeling.

Cons

There's been a big transition, and thanks to some cost-cutting taken at the time, some internal services are still under-resourced and are just starting to recover.

Advice to Management

Keep processes to a minimum - remove barriers that stop us from moving fast. We have a great product and a great team, so shout about it!

"Good Products - Impossible targets"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Leader in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Leader in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Market is responding to Blackberry being an enterprise software player rather than device centric business - some folk still stuck in that legacy and need to change or get out.

Cons

Expectations are for 70% + growth in mature markets with mature buying cycles - best staff are leaving due to over goaling no one signing goal sheets !

Advice to Management

Goal the teams in line with what is possible otherwise you will have a mass exodus on your hands and allow local decision making.

"Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

I came to BlackBerry at a graduate level, and was immediately given opportunities to work on a global scale with senior-level stakeholders. After several years here, I have had exposure to numerous projects as well as challenging and exciting day-to-day work. Compensation wise, I am rewarded very well and manage to maintain a good work-life balance with our flexible working policy (core hours 10am-4pm)

Overall, BlackBerry has been a fantastic company to experience at this stage in my career - and even better that I get to work a fantastic team!

Cons

As with most large companies, BlackBerry is very process driven. I have had the chance to implement and improve some of these processes - however some others are hard to influence.

Advice to Management

Take on board advice from employees to consolidate processes in order to achieve faster results. Other that that, it is a great company to be a part of

5. "Not a perfect climate currently, company has to reinvent itself."

Former Employee - Director in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

Dynamic company (if you like...). Relatively flat organisation. Great colleagues. Collaborative environment. Room for initiative. Distinct products. Global presence (still).

Cons

Long period of restructuring / transition. Low care for employees (and customers...). Company has to reinvent itself as a trusted supplier, successful business and good employer.

Advice to Management

Start viewing employees as 'human assets' (again) rather than ´payroll objects'. Similarly, restore trust and reputation with customers by providing great service and customer care (deploy customer centric thinking)!

6. "Senior management given too long a rein."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When allowed to be customer focused it is a great place to work as can make a difference when dealing with partners at grass roots.

Cons

Some senior managers are allowed to do their own thing and ignore processes (MAP) and relationship management to get a quick win/buck.

Advice to Management

Check to see if senior managers are telling the truth.

7. "Great company let down by poor mgmt."

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager/Carrier Technical Management in Brentford, England (UK)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great place to work for, cutting edge technology back in the day. Innovation way ahead of its time.

Cons

Poor work place management, a lot of nepotism and friend culture lead to loss of talent recognition and eventually high attrition.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the remaining talent is recognized and rewarded. Motivation is key to ensure professional work ethics.

8. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Slough, Buckinghamshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at BlackBerry (More than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomous role, which allows you to manage expectations

Cons

Difficult environment, zero opportunites, no support structure

Advice to Management

support your employees

"Once again, the place to be in Mobility"

Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent product line following key acquisitions, superb benefits, excellent can-do culture is returning, management are all pulling the company in the same direction - software.

Cons

External perception, although that is steadily changing as the analysts and commentators see what is happening and the reaction of customers

Advice to Management

Keep it going, make onboarding and IT easier, work hard/play hard

10. "Business Development"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Professional outfit, reasonable employee relations

Cons

Everyone wondering who is going next, toxic atmosphere

Showing 69 of 2,063 reviews