BlackBerry Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen
John Chen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Avoid SDR role (Management FORCES you to stand)"

Former Employee - SDR in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - SDR in San Ramon, CA

I worked at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

- Great people
    - Hard working employees
    - Great benefits
    - Nice building
    - Exciting products
    - CEO is a genius!

Cons

- Managment forces employees to stand up (Some employees don't even have stand up desks)
    - High levels of micromanagement
    - High turnover rate (roughly 90%)
    - One company event every 6 months (if we're lucky)
    - No one hits quota
    - 0 Awards
    - Career path is nonexistent
    - The only career path in the SDR department at BB is the experience to apply to other locations

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Give the employees a goal to reach (promotions and awards.)

2. "good company but stressful"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company policies were very employee friendly - free lunches, free snacks, unlimited sick leaves and advance PTOs if you wanted to have them

Cons

Very stressful because there is no work life balance, in spite of the employee friendly policies, work was a lot, I was almost tied to the office.

Advice to Management

Management was actually good but the amount of work was a lot.

"Only good for experience on a resume...not to grow your career"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Ramon, CA

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Decent snacks in a nice kitchen
    - Catered lunch on Fridays
    - Laptop and Cell Phone (a BlackBerry...ironicly enough) provided to do work outside the office (even though as an SDR, your not allowed to work remotely)
    - Awesome young cohort of coworkers that get hired at the same time (through Pareto Law) and become close
    - Veteran sales team members always willing to talk, give advice, or listen to the new people vent frustrations
    - Job really designed for young kids with no experience in corporate world, looking to decide their career projection, not for adults trying to make a living and move up the corporate ladder
    - CEO has a brilliant vision
    - CFO is an incredibly down to earth guy. Talks to you on a personal level and treats everybody with respect; truly relatable and likable
    - Sales management are great people, and have great hearts, but don't have as much power as they need to make the necessary changes (make workflow easier, explain our bad quota numbers and how its not the SDR's fault, etc.)

Cons

- Started off the relationship bad by lying about how much our salary would be, then lowering it at the last minute (Sure, we all said yes to the job...but we are young college students breaking into our professional career...who wouldn't say yes to the opportunity?)
    - CRM (Salesforce) is and almost always will be broken until they stop being cheap and hire a Salesforce rep to come in and fix all of the bugs, glitches, and processes that slow down work-flow
    - SDR's are given equipment to work remotely but get threatened to be fired if they do not show up in the office and work from home (even though work and activity is logged for upper management to see)
    - No culture, EVERYBODY just goes through the motions and goes home
    - Company outings held every 6 months if we're lucky
    - Turn over rate is atrocious (90% for SDR's); and with AM's/AE's always leaving, SDR's are stuck passing leads to ghosts or bouncing them around to somebody who can move the opps through the sales cycle so commission can finally happen
    - Commission is based on an opportunity making it to Stage 3 (8 Stages total); and stage 3 means something different to everybody. Meaning a lead can agree to meet with an AM, show up, and agree to a second meeting, but the opp. might only make it to stage 1 or 2...be stuck there for a few weeks, and from there...be closed lost (so you never get paid) OR FINALLY hit stage 3 and you can patiently wait for your commission to show up 2 months later
    - Management favors veterans new hires, and it doesn't take long for a new hire to catch on.
    - Direct leadership is really at the mercy of the Upper Management, so even though YOUR leaders feel for you, there's really nothing they can do due because of the bureaucracy.
    - Upper sales management bragged (trying to motivate...I guess) about buying new car with their commissions...knowing that we would not be able to afford those luxuries on the given salary (even with 100% commission)
    - No/ hardly any incentives for doing a good job, hitting your quota, setting an office record or anything. Sales people are almost drawn to money, and thats ok...but to call being successful in your role "doing your job" is not a good way to inspire repeated success or retention

Advice to Management

- Pay More
    - Change environment/ culture
    - UPPPER SALES MANAGEMENT NEEDS TO LISTEN to the everyday struggles (not complaints) of YOUR OWN PEOPLE and change what needs to be changed. Period.

"Not bad, just not my cup of tea.....for this EMM Sales guy."

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*****Note that my review pertains to Blackberry's EMM Software division. For context, I came to BBRY by way of their acquisition of Good Technology where I was in Sales for 3 years.******

- 90% of people below VP were excellent "roll up your sleeves" and team oriented mentality.
    - I believe the Company is poised to be a major player in EMM when bottom-feeders die and/or BBRY sparks up a tighter relationship with a major company like MSFT.
    - no complaints about Salary and OTE.
    - the devices are simple but solid. Good move getting out of device mfg and partnership with Google.

Cons

- Poor traction displacing incumbents, and general malaise in the Enterprise about "needing" BBRY level security or not. Security comes at the cost of User ease and most CIOs I worked with in F1000 were dismissing the CISO and pandering to the Users who want "easy + now". Maybe that struggle between CIO and CISO priorities will change after the Equifax nightmare. I'm just saying that selling EMM is not "greenfield" and not as widely of an "in-demand" solution as you might think. Thus why they play primarily in regulated industries and 80% of annual software revenue is from existing customers.

- poor coordination between Good and BBRY for first 6 months of 2016 led to poorly designed integrated solution. (e.g. New platform required Users manually reprovision, a major Ouch to Users and Customer stakeholders.)

- Layoffs of dozens of tenured heritage Good Tech folks in 2017 seemed very harsh and not well thought-out. (i.e. Why sack your most knowledgeable customer facing people while in the midst of a tricky and painful platform migration?! Yes, I understand the temptation for a "bleeding" company to downsize and hire cheaper people but the learning curve is long so newbies have thin knowledge and no critical tribal knowledge which further frustrates the customers and jeopardized millions in renewal revenue. Not shocked that some big customers did not renew.
    - culturally there are big differences between Silicon Valley and Waterloo, Canada (e.g. Close to 180 degrees different in areas such as: formality, access, cross department collaboration)

Advice to Management

-innovate faster. Make solution sooo easy that even a Millennial would want to use it ;-)
    - open your pocketbook. Show some financial love to those who've been onboard prior to 2016
    - Recognize that culture matters and commit to being more open to ideas, transparent, friendly, generous, developing careers vs just filling jobs.
    - Errr on the side of the employee.....and reap the dividends of productivity, loyalty and reputation in the market.

"Losing it's Edge"

Current Employee - Acct Exe in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Acct Exe in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Salary Competitive, Some good people to work with.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations quota wise. Management not in touch with reality.

Advice to Management

In order to keep people you must improve the environment.

"Loyal to them, no loyalty returned"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working from home and with good people. Team members take care of each other.

Cons

Low pay comparing to market averages. Hardcore sales with very pushy Senior Management. Not interested i what the customer wants or needs, only in a bigger deal.

Advice to Management

Be innovative again, quit being late to market. Value your employees and you customers.

"Sales Development Representative-- Be Wary"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Ramon, CA

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-good teammates
    -vitamin waters and cheddar ruffles fully stocked in kitchen

Cons

too many to list. summary: managers dont listen to the needs or suggestions of the SDRs. politics are inescapable. upper levels know why SDRs are struggling, and still nada is done to help them advance. individuals are singled out or fired without warning. micromanaging is an apparent factor. passive aggressive emails would get sent out on the daily.

Advice to Management

make changes or the good ones will continue to leave

"SALES"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time

Pros

- nice kitchen
    - free snacks and water (oh but don't let them catch you taking a full bottle of water home or else they'll send an email out letting us know that if we do, it should only be half full lol)
    - some people will go out of their way to help you if you ask!

Cons

Terrible terrible terrible. If you are looking to going into their sales team, DON'T. Unless you love being micromanaged and being fed bs pep talks that sound like clipped passages from 90s sales books. Management that lead North America sales are cold and mechanical. They turn a blind eye to feedback and insist that the same methods are used over and over again. And then come back to their team and tell them that they are "creating roadblocks" for themselves, if they don't get results. Culture? none. but if you love a sterile, forced, shark environment, then this might be for you!

Advice to Management

lead by example. if you want your employees to produce results, create a happy environment instead of using fear tactics.

"Voracious middle management eats its own young"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Canadians are nice but underhanded

Cons

Middle management spends most of its time defending itself against "turf encroachment". Employees who have new ideas are not encouraged to reveal them. The most valued attribute here is the willingness to fill out forms for everything.

Advice to Management

Stop enforcing your outdated processes, actively seek new ideas from employees, break down walls.

"For Sale"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing I can think of. They have some decent products but it doesn't matter because they don't market them. They used to have a good customer support but it pales to what it once was.

Cons

Poor leadership. Horrible sales leadership, very short sighted. Definitely for sale and watching the balance sheets. They operate like they're broke which they are far from. Expensive compared to rest of the EMM industry. Huge quotas based on fantasy growth. Pretty much sucks here.

Advice to Management

Pretend you are human.

Showing 249 of 2,104 reviews