Cover image for BlackRock
Best Places to Work 2023

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

BlackRock Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Updated Nov 27, 2021

4.2
BlackRock Chairman and CEO Laurence D. Fink
Laurence D. Fink
2,581 Ratings

What people are saying about BlackRock

Join the conversation on

Finance

140.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=BlackRock~9331
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about BlackRock? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with BlackRock employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "People are smart and great to work with(in 443 reviews)
  • "Culture is great very friendly(in 389 reviews)
  • "Work Life balance is good at Blackrock(in 243 reviews)
  • "Good benefits and always trying to improve.(in 241 reviews)
  • "Smart colleagues with a good work environemnt and flat hiearcy structure allowing you to contact people at any level(in 88 reviews)
Cons
  • "Long hours and not much help(in 165 reviews)
  • "Low pay and blackrock discount common(in 123 reviews)
  • "Inefficient organization and poor management at the group level(in 122 reviews)
  • "low salary and bonus.(in 107 reviews)
  • "Bad managers can result in terrible experience.(in 84 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of BlackRock and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "smart people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee

Still alright after aqcuisition

Oct 18, 2015 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The engineering team is pretty small but gets a lot of features done. We are very agile and release code daily. Everyone works on important features since we just don't have time for anything else. The company as a whole is pretty nimble and has lots of smart and passionate people. If you want to learn more about personal finance or investing, just chat with one of our financial advisors. FutureAdvisor was recently acquired by BlackRock. A lot of us were apprehensive about this, since we signed up to work for a startup, not a mega corp. Bo promised that we will stay independent and nothing will change, and so far, that's mostly been true, but I'm not sure if we can continue to be independent indefinitely. For now at least, I'm happy with the salary bump, 401k matching, and promise of performance bonus $ in lieu of stock options upside. The new B2B initiatives are pretty exciting and can significantly increase our customer base, especially with BlackRock backing us.

Cons

We are experiencing all sorts of growing pains. From running out of office space to teams not communicating with each other. Gone are the days when you can find one person who knows every detail on a project. The B2B initiative will definitely produce some unsexy work on the engineering side.

7 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company Culture, Move A Bit Slowly

Apr 29, 2019 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance and company culture People are super smart and nice

Cons

Cons related to all big corporations

3. Join the BlackRock team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Large Financial Firm

Mar 30, 2022 - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Well known brand name 'prestigious' internal mobility if you have the patience and are willing to take mediocre to lower pay than industry norm People are smart and great to work with

Cons

Pay is low compared to industry averages Bureacracy and red tape Lot of internal politics and gatekeepers

1 person found this review helpful

BlackRock Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you’ve been able to take advantage of internal mobility opportunities that we offer and that you enjoy the people you work with. We’re disappointed to hear the cons you mention in your review. We are constantly looking for ways we can improve the experience for our employees and encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR business partner to share your comments.

5. 2.0

Could not wait to leave

Feb 5, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Budapest
    Business Outlook

Pros

-okay salary -volunteer days -flexible time off (depends on your role though) -some of the management are really smart and good with people -some good concepts in the new office -lots of ambitious people -useful trainings available (e.g. programming, Excel etc.)

Cons

Your experience is highly dependent on which business / team you are joining. Partly because of budget (how "important" your function is) and partly because of the people. My experience: -no team spirit whatsoever -okay starting salary but it gets higher veeery slowly... So maybe somewhere else you are offered less in the beginning but you get a raise more often. I accepted the offer mainly because of the salary but looking back, I could have probably negotiated the same at my previous company. -they like to brag about how great they are but really, it's just another multinational company -hr and payroll processes were a nightmare, I spent way too much time with making sure I get paid and we had to check our payslip and actual payments because mistakes are made regularly -the new office.. Yeah looks good , but not at all practical and facility management was slow to respond to problems or suggestions. I would give up a modern-looking working environment any day for an office where things actually function well. -the job was different from how it was presented at the interview... I did not like my job and I wish they had picked someone else who could have been a better fit. -some of the management was difficult to work with: little understanding of our job but oh so much to say -they are trying to differentiate themselves from SSCs but it is what it is...

8 people found this review helpful

BlackRock Response

Employer Brand Content Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our perks, leadership, and your colleagues. We pride ourselves on developing people managers at all levels of the organization and have an expectation that they provide a great experience for their direct reports and provide lots of opportunities for employee development. We are disappointed to hear you had an unsatisfactory experience, we will consider possible actions to address these concerns.

6. 5.0
    Current Intern

Intern

Jan 22, 2023 - Alternative Investments Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gréât people and compensation and smart

Cons

Not very good training for juniors

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

Associate

Mar 31, 2016 -  in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with some very smart and motivated people

Cons

Understaffed and lack of internal mobility

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Working at Blackrock

Feb 19, 2017 - Associate Portfolio Management in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

* You'll work with some very talented and smart people * It is the largest asset manager in the world right now

Cons

* It is a really big company, and you may get the feeling that you are "just a number" at times

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Brilliant, Kind, People Without Anyone Doing It

Jan 29, 2017 - Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great corporate perks, globally connected, opportunities to develop self, structured mentorship programs, networks. Great people who are smart and kind and collaborative (the no jerk policy is real here). Ability to lead and be autonomous here is great.

Cons

Too many "ideas" people who are brought on to do strategy, with no one actually executing on the tactics. Senior management can sometimes foster this cliquey, strategic, group

10. 5.0
    Former Employee

Pros

Smart and humble people with a strong work ethic.

Cons

Fast track is much more difficult now post BGI merger.

11. 3.0

Lukewarm Experience

Sep 3, 2014 - Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people here are very smart and generally easy to work with. There is definitely a pretty good opportunity to learn while here.

Cons

Since it has become a bigger company, it has become more bureaucratic and difficult to find mobility as was once the case.

1 person found this review helpful