BlackSun Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 13 reviews

3.5
  1. "Customer Support"

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Regina, SK

I worked at BlackSun part-time for more than a year

Pros

-The office is very nice, as were the employees. -Very flexible scheduling and very convenient when you are taking classes and working here part-time -Everyone is willing to help

Cons

-Working nights can mean working alone as Customer Support -Have to deal with less than pleasant clients sometimes -Learning curve is quite steep and may take some time to learn -Dealing with passive aggressive emails from higher-ups about messes in the kitchen. This was a common occurrence and very unproductive.

Advice to Management

-Please assist with employees when dealing with less than pleasant clients -Avoid passive aggressive emails, as it is very unprofessional and dehumanizing.

BlackSun2018-07-01
  2. "Good for the short term bad for the long"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at BlackSun full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to get your foot into the IT world. The sales and support manager were great to work with. The culture was solid while I worked there. I would recommend working here and I don't regret my time working for BlackSun.

Cons

No chance of making enough money to even consider BlackSun as a long term career. Takes a long time for things to change despite having a small staff. The bonus grid is not a good motivator.

Advice to Management

Give more authority to the managers and spend some money on things that will actually help the office.

BlackSun2018-04-04
  3. "Great workplace with loads of opportunity"

I worked at BlackSun full-time

Pros

· Flexible tech company · Friendly people & small business atmosphere · Close teams, open communication channels · Speak to anyone vibe · Great office, easy parking and transit, lots of perks

Cons

Challenges of a small business can be a non-fit for some team members to adjust to. Need to come onboard with some understanding of ins and outs of business growth and taking responsibility

Advice to Management

Watch for team members who are not on team and undermining others productivity with their unnecessary complaining.

BlackSun2017-11-29
  4. "Good work, good balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK

I worked at BlackSun full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility in schedule and responsibilities, Strong work/life balance and family team atmosphere, Challenging work but lots of room to grow.

Cons

They insist that everyone also keep a clean desk/ workplace which can be annoying but the office is really nice!

Advice to Management

Don't get distracted by negative people of the past, keep driving the boat forward

BlackSun2017-11-26

"Flexible Evolving workplace with lots of opportunity"

Former Employee - Techie in Saskatoon, SK

I worked at BlackSun full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a supportive transparent group, lots of potential here. They gave lots of room to evolve and grow in each position i was in. I found there was always lots of ability to collaborate on projects and grow with extra responsibility. Tons of things to learn at this company! Management is more flexible and supportive than I have seen in other places I have been. Easy parking, cool office, and working in the research...

Cons

With so much going on, communication can sometimes be tricky. Have seen tons of improvement in this area even just before I left, and I know communication can always continue to improve in every organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up with communication improvements and supporting staff in their development and growth!

BlackSun2017-11-08

"Long term company with growth"

I have been working at BlackSun full-time

Pros

This is a great tech company with a solid history. I feel I am part of a positive team with a collaborative supportive office culture. We have comfortable space and workstations, natural light and lots of perks. I enjoy this place and would highly recommend, especially if you want to take initiative and are looking for personal and professional development in a nice sized tech company.

Cons

One thing to mention... staff not willing to be accountable and take responsibility will definately stand out, and can have a negative impact in a small office environment. I noticed that our positive team benefitted again when some people departed!

Advice to Management

Take a bit more time in making sure you keep hiring good people. Watch for negative impacts of staff who are not good team players!

BlackSun2017-10-31

"Outdated Services, Stubborn Management, Dead-end Careers."

I worked at BlackSun full-time

Pros

- Massage chair - Nice decor - Support staff are generally friendly, albeit short-lived typically - Innovation Place has many perks including free gym, sauna, ice pond, events etc., although this isn't restricted to BlackSun (many companies on campus with the same perks). - Massage chair is pretty nice - Parking provided - Cappucino machine - Christmas party includes expensive gifts typically - Did I mention the...

Cons

- Management has taken what could've been a great opportunity to be a major local ISP, web host, web developer, and domain registrar and seems to consistently drive things straight into the ground, or nowhere (it's hard to say which) while remaining barely relevant. - Repeated attempts have been made to get through to those in charge and become a more modern web host, but this falls on deaf ears; if you are seeking...

Advice to Management

Please consider professional technical consultation for your web services, rebranding, and internal business structure. Things were easy in the 90s and being a web host was easy money. This isn't the case now and you need to evolve to remain competitive in this space. Continuing to use cheap labour from barely qualified students is a great way to ensure things stay the same.

BlackSun2017-12-06

"Cogs in the Machine"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Saskatoon, SK

I worked at BlackSun full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The office was rather cool looking. There was never a shortage of coffee. Great intro to web-hosting, as well as granted a foothold in the tech industry. Coworkers were generally knowledgeable and great to work with.

Cons

Most of the issues stem from the owners of the company. They view everyone as expendable. In my time, I saw people who had been there for over six years get mistreated for no fault of the employee. There was very little positive encouragement given, and the overall atmosphere because of this was negative. Pay was far lower than other companies in the same sector. The focus of the company was all over the place, and employees...

Advice to Management

Show your employees that they are valued. I highly recommend doing research on toxic work environments and working to improve those aspects. Really focus on your web hosting experience and make it great. Encourage employees to do their best, not through complaining about them, but through giving clear guidelines and giving them the opportunity to succeed.

BlackSun2017-09-15

"Management for the sake of management."

I worked at BlackSun full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Innovation Place is a very nice place to work. They generally hire quality people, about 80% of the time. The office is very nice. Good starter place.

Cons

Management often sends mixed signals or just interferes with things that don't require manager input for no reason. Employees don't feel as though their retention is valued. Reviews and pay adjustments are sporadic. Insanely high turnover rate. Stress can run very high.

Advice to Management

Think about how to effectively run meetings and effectively communicate with your employees. Figure out how to automate routine tasks(audits, etc). Make your employees feel valued, and have their compensation reflect that.

BlackSun2017-08-03

"Learning Environment with High Stress"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK

I worked at BlackSun full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The majority of the pros working for BlackSun is around overall experience working in the tech industry and opportunity to learn the ins-and-outs of server management and website hosting. They also provided food, the occasional lunch, coffee and had massage chairs in the office. Innovation place is an beautiful area to work and parking is included. The team members were by far the best part of working at BlackSun.

Cons

The cons tend to come from the nature of the company and the management. Salaries are low and the expectation is to work long hours and weekends, be available from home without compensation. Bonuses are generally very low and don't make up for the low salaries. Stress in the office is frequently very heightened, and management's frustration and stress would often trickle down to those at the bottom. Staff are not treated...

Advice to Management

Shift your perspective that employees are always replaceable and work to value and compensate those who are loyal and work hard for your organization. Recommendations on reading include 'Extreme Ownership' and 'Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead'.

BlackSun2017-08-03