KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Blackbaud Reviews

Updated Aug 3, 2021

Found 1,052 of over 1,099 reviews

3.5
Blackbaud President and CEO Michael Gianoni (no image)
Michael Gianoni
Pros
  • "Mission oriented (passionate about helping non-profits & doing good in the world)(in 108 reviews)

• "Blackbaud also has a great culture that promotes a top-notch work life balance(in 87 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Lack of flexibility for remote employees who wouldn't move to Charleston or Austin(in 61 reviews)

• "Upper management often demands work be done on off hours if you work in a technical position(in 32 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Blackbaud and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

A breath of fresh air and amazing team atmosphere

Jul 31, 2021 - Customer Support Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

The teamwork and passion for the cause is what brought me to Blackbaud. Once I arrived I was amazed by the positivity of the people that work here. The teamwork and willingness to lift each other up is astounding. The onboard training has a quick strategy to unite people even if you are working remote. The growth potential is limitless with the mindset that you are the leader of your own success. The opportunities here are ever growing and the company has built a business structure around this principle. The PTO is great as well as the healthcare and 401k, but I didn’t join Blackbaud for the benefits. I joined because I wanted to be part of a team that was as intelligent and passionate as I am when it comes delivering great customer service and open to new innovation.

Cons

The structure of the shift takes some adjustment if you are used to self managing time. I come from a past job where calls and clients approach openly and you have to balance this with the troubleshooting at hand. I’m not accustomed to logging on and off from calls or customers to have down time to approach solutions.

2. 5.0

Great company

Jun 13, 2021 - Commission Analyst in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive. Really tries to treat everyone equally.

Cons

Too much handholding in my area. Not enough progression.

3. 2.0

Great colleagues, toxic leadership

Aug 2, 2021 - Customer Success Manager in Plano, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

You support a product that makes you feel good. Colleagues are phenomenal and great at what they do.

Cons

Pay is completely below the industry standard. You can look past this when you're entry level, but you will not get compensated appropriately if you receive a promotion. I did not receive a raise for over 2 years, then once I received a raise it was still below my promotion. The company fumbled their COVID response. No raises were granted during 2020 due to the pandemic and many folks were laid off. Extremely disappointing considering the fact that during All Hands meetings we were told that we were still profitable. Due to these layoffs and hiring freezes, everyone ended up stretched too thin with little to no support from the leadership team. Our direct managers were amazing and heard our concerns, but those that could actually make decisions were awful.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company great people!

Aug 3, 2021 - Senior Account Executive in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Company, lots autonomy and lots of opportunity. Great support from leaders. Great salary and commission structure can make good money here with a good pipeline

Cons

Lots of changes constantly but expected in software sales. Long sales cycle Can't think of anything else at the moment.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Former TSE at Blackbaud

Jul 30, 2021 - Technical Solutions Engineer in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company - but unsure how many employees remained post-pandemic. Enjoyed my time there and was great being connected to social good organizations

Cons

My position was eliminated due to Covid, which was out of anyone's control. No hard feelings but have no desire to try and work there again.

6. 2.0

Not Remote Friendly

Jul 30, 2021 - Software Engineer II in Ridgecrest, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company mission, in general a nice place to work. I can see it being a place where I would have wanted to stay if I had been able to work from one of their offices.

Cons

I left because I needed to work remotely, and at the time (pre pandemic) Blackbaud had just started implementing some very remote unfriendly policies. If you were remote you could not be promoted to the management level. Also they did very little to actually support existing remote workers. In-office parties and perks were common, but getting essential remote collaboration equipment (such as decent microphones for team meetings) was always a struggle.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee

A good place to work

Jul 26, 2021 - Principal Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people, nice facilities with pinball machines, and decent benefits. Like anywhere else, it depends on the specific team you're on.

Cons

Too much change for change's sake. It seems like management always wanted to shuffle people and teams around thinking that it would make things better when it really made things worse, at least temporarily.

8. 4.0

Grest Culture

Jul 22, 2021 - Payments Analyst in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and work life balance in some roles.

Cons

Low pay and no clear track of career progression

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

You can build a career here, but most don't

Jul 12, 2021 - Business Development Representative in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty good company culture (not talking about ping pong tables), lots of resources for learning company products, flexibility in career advancement or change.

Cons

This is a huge company with the bureaucracy you might expect.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Where great software companies go to die

Jul 7, 2021 - Senior Manager in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- While the nonprofit software space has gotten very competitive, Blackbaud still has formidable market share in the nonprofit fundraising market. - For the most part, the frontline employees are hard working, ethical people that passionately care about the work of their customers.

Cons

- The company hasn't grown much organically for many years and the inorganic growth has slowed down because acquisitions aren't properly integrated into the company. - The executive leadership team is shockingly disconnected from the reality of what's happening in the market, with their customers or their frontline employees. - "Flavor of the Quarter" is the best way to describe the company's strategic plan. It's as if the top level executives get together and whimsically decide to course correct every time the latest financial forecast or earnings projections don't meet the Street's expectations. It leaves the employees feeling like they are just a number. It also doesn't help seeing senior executive insiders cash in their lucrative stock options while frontline employees are worried sick about being laid off. - In Jim Collins' book "Good to Great", he talks about employees who are "on the bus" and how that is tied to their level of competency and commitment to the company's mission. At Blackbaud, many people who are chosen to be "on the bus" aren't necessarily the most competent - but the most politically savvy or, I hate to say it, the biggest kiss suckups. - Blackbaud operates like a legacy software company driven by old school operating methodologies. They use all the contemporary SaaS lingo like the Rule of 40, but it doesn't translate to how the company is actually run.

6 people found this review helpful