Blackbaud Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 16, 2019

3.1
Michael Gianoni

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance/benefits/vacation" (in 54 reviews)

• "Amazing sense of purpose - helping non profits fund raise better" (in 91 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work!!!"

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES - Account Executive III in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES - Account Executive III in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Mission itself is amazing. You are actually helping organizations raise money to help those in need. The building, the culture, the people are all fantastic. Even the cafeteria!! Travel opportunities. Tremendous Growth over the past 5 years I have been here. Plenty of room to grow with the company. Plenty of opportunities. Benefits are top notch. Fun place to work. Leadership is fantastic (not just saying this either). They listen and respond. I have found the company that I will retire with.

The money is really good.

Cons

I would imagine that our CONS are at every other software company as well. We do get in our own way at times. The Pros out weigh the Cons tremendously though.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and hearing the sales team. We are on the front lines daily. Very fun place to work and we appreciate it.

Blackbaud Response

Sep 11, 2018 – Recruiter, Staff

Thank you for sharing your experience. We have worked hard to create a company where people are valued and feel empowered to succeed and grow. We appreciate you taking the time to share your... More

2. "Good company, Great mission!"

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission and I do feel like we eat and breathe it here. Great work/life balance. Work with very smart people. Good culture. Very relaxed working environment. Generous PTO from the start. Encouraged to volunteer, hours spent volunteering can add to your PTO. HQ is beautiful along with onsite Cafeteria. Good 401k match as well.

Cons

Health Benefits could be cheaper, especially for families. Sometimes constant shifting of team members and management between teams does more bad then good. Taking away the ability to work remote.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They were hired for a reason. Very smart people employed here, let them help make a difference.

"Excellent Place to Work"

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing mission and customers, tech culture, great facilities and perks, work/life balance

Cons

Slow to move, complex structure, some stale management

4. "Great company with inspiring clients"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

working with nonprofit organizations

Cons

sales organization becoming more metric driven

"Good Company, but there are better ones out there"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and PTO. Lots of social activities. Free coffee and snacks in the breakroom.

Cons

Salary is low compared to job duties and role. There are layoffs every year and many employees are not allowed to work remote.

Advice to Management

Pay employees according to the contributions they make to the company and allow employees to work remote if they would like to. Most Tech companies all encourage remote work because they know it saves money for the company and encourages lower absentee rates, better performances and job performance.

6. "Layoffs every year"

Former Employee - Marketing Operations in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Marketing Operations in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, work from home options in my department, free snacks, cold brew in the break room

Cons

Layoff happen every single year, ELT(Executive Leadership Team) are clueless and are not transparent

"Not what it used to be"

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Great people to work with.

Cons

Management very poor leaders and have no clue what is going on with the day to day work. Quality associates are eliminated from company. Many were moved into software engineering positions where they continue to do quality assurance under a fake title. Others were terminated. Software engineers now responsible for ensuring quality because management thinks implementing quality is an easy task. Most software engineers are not qualified. Ultimately, clients will suffer from this poor decision and many will probably ditch the software due to the issues being introduced/released.

8. "Contract Specialist"

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Fun work environment
    Lots of PTO

Cons

Nowhere to grow
    Sitting in a cubical all day

"Depends on your team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Charleston office has some nice perks like free cold brew coffee, snacks, and sparkling water
    -good amount of PTO upfront
     -great ideals

Cons

The salaries are not competitive when you take the cost of living into consideration. The open office concept in the new HQ is highly counterproductive—not to mention the lack of privacy when wanting to talk with a manager about personal matters. I'm sure this depends on your team but I have never felt more micromanaged than when I was working for Blackbaud. It was frown upon to take lunch and if you did so you were expected to make up for that time. Working outside of your desk area was also frowned upon even though the new HQ offered working areas outside and all over the building. There were many instances that I'd choose to work in a different part of the building in order to concentrate, only to be tracked down by a manager to check on me. My specific team was expected to look like we were constantly working every second of the day and if you didn't look busy enough you'd be given more work immediately. Honestly, it almost felt like a sweatshop. It was also very bad on our morale that other team members were treated like responsible adults, given perks like remote working days, and the freedom to take a lunch away from their desk as we were chained to our desk. There was even an unspoken rule that whenever the HQ had any type of event during work hours, we were expected to grab some free food and bring it back to our desk to continue working. All this talk about collaboration when I interviewed turn out to be a farse. I was basically plugging away at my computer for 8 hours straight. Don't get me wrong, I've met some wondeful people there. I just don't think the department I was in will ever retain eployees if they continue to treat them this way.

Advice to Management

Be sure that the job descriptions you post are genuine and accurate. When I applied to the position at Blackbaud (which I ended up resigning from) I had a completely different expectation of the work that I'd be doing. In the end, I found that my work was on par with what I did as an intern 6+ years ago. All-staff parties and events during work hours are awesome and great morale boosters, just try to push managers to allow all their staff to go every now and then.

"Sadly, going downhill"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Blackbaud customers are doing amazing things to make the world a better place, so that is very inspiring.
    Overall benefits and time off are competitive.

Cons

We treat our customers poorly. Quality of customer support has gone down significantly. While some employees go out of their way to help, others seem to act only as blockers. At times fellow employees' unwillingness to help and red tape within the company makes Blackbaud worse for our success than our competitors.
    Growth opportunities exist in Charleston only and even in Charleston, new hires often are recruited for middle to upper management roles.

Advice to Management

Go back to putting customers first. Listen to them. Empower and encourage employees to help the company and the customers success. "That is not my job" needs to go away.