Blackbaud Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Michael Gianoni

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Cares about Employees and work life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Amazing sense of purpose - helping non profits fund raise better (in 78 reviews)

1. "Blackbaud"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, good coworkers, clients are generally friendly, benefits are great

Cons

pay is far below the rest of the IT sector, lapses in communication from the top down

"Overll Positive"

Current Employee - Sales in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Sales in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We have the best clients in the world. I know that I'm selling great solutions to my clients, and I know that there a lot of amazing, smart, good people working behind the scenes to help our clients make the world a better place. Blackbaud is committed to the NFP space, and we invest heavily in our products. I am confident that we're all in this together.

Cons

Because of Blackbaud's size, there can be a lot of layers to work through. Sometimes we can be opaque

Advice to Management

Try to break down the barriers between departments so that there is more clarity about who is responsible for what. Stay in communication with Sales and people who work DIRECTLY with clients - I'm not sure you always get the most accurate information.

3. "Remote Position for Implementation Consultant"

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Remote flexibility was a huge plus.

Cons

Lack of training for new employees

"MicroEdge + Blackbaud"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great customers. 20 days PTO. Health benefits from day 1.

Cons

Leadership Team and HR not on site and very rarely visit NY office despite high employee turnover and concerning feedback from employee engagement survey (low salaries, lack of strategy, little work/life balance, my opinions aren't heard). Not enough support from Leadership and HR. Horrible location not near public transport (20+ min walk from MTA) and food options for lunch. Cheap, unhealthy snacks in office. Outdated furniture (grey cubicles). Most people work from home so the office is empty and isolating. No opportunities to volunteer (we sell software for employee volunteering and giving!!). Little room to advance in the company despite what HR and Leadership may say.

Advice to Management

HR and Leadership need to boost team morale (this is apparent in Marketing), make improvements based on the employee engagement survey, and visit the NY office more often. Choose an office location near public transport, cafes, restaurants, etc. Get some healthy snacks in the office. Get rid of the big grey cubicles and create a more open, collaborative work space. Encourage employees to give back to the community by hosting volunteer events. Make work fun and celebrate achievements by hosting regularly scheduled office parties, team bonding activities, and get togethers.

"Blackbaud completely ignores the best practices of their acquisitions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the Reward your Passion and volunteerism PTO. Grateful for the support of nonprofits and opportunities to work with great organizations

Cons

We were acquired by Bb due to our extreme growth. Current Bb employees have shown us shocking arrogance and condescending attitudes to us. They have ignored what worked for us and our culture. All of us had to make pay cuts and many were laid off while senior Bb senior execs were given massive bonuses. As our product sales have almost doubled, Bb legacy programs have flatlined. Bb products are incredibly inflated with a sales staff who are rude and condescending to clients. Attitude is, "we are the best...you have no choice but to buy us." Bubble will burst soon on this company.

Advice to Management

Use and continue the best practices of your new acquisitions. Their products are growing and yours are not. Completely revamp the clunky and non-user friendly eTapestry and Raisers Edge. Companies are stuck with them but not happy. Bb is too arrogant to even care

"Over a decade working at a great company"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, awesome technology, cool culture, and it's amazing supporting nonprofits

Cons

Significant raises often require presenting job offers from other companies or leaving and returning; new hires often come in a higher titles and salaries than tenured employees

Advice to Management

Provide a clear career AND compensation path for employees

7. "Helping Nonprofits Succeed"

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Nice people, product improving daily.

Cons

Low salary for remote employees.

"Frequent layoffs in customer support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The idea sold is that Blackbaud helps non-profits. Charleston and especially Austin are desirable locations for technology engineers to job hop.

Cons

The reality is that non-profits are fed recurring revenue charges on an inferior product that was neglected for years. Leadership is pushing stock higher with investor relation roles and not strength of product or organic growth. Managers have little to no training and are force fed performance management exercises sold by consultants and software providers. Outdated two year vesting on small matched company 401k donations. Satellite offices and acquisitions are neglected after closing in another attempt to show growth.

Advice to Management

Invest more in product engineering

"Not the Blackbaud it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great and make it worth the stress. Vacation which is much needed. The cafe is great. Starbucks is a nice thing to have.

Cons

Just keep acquiring more and more companies yet can't pay employees what they are worth or match the cost of living in the area. We have the highest paid CEO in the state with some of the lowest paid employees in a public company in SC. Very much micromanaged and every position I see. The company is all over the place trying to merge two huge sectors of the company. Employees are always left in the dark about what is going on and have to constantly a dad with the change that's not for the better. Territories are being cut, therefore pay is being cut, and quotas are still the same. More people have left Flock bought in the past 2 to 3 years than ever before. Companies around the area are waiting to poach their employees because they know they're worth and will pay them more. Managers always telling you to take shorter breaks or not take breaks to hit an unattainable quota. Our products are old and are not keeping up with newer and less expensive competitors. All the companies that we acquire have beautiful products but they don't fit in with our Citrix based flagship blackbaud products. Customer retention is terrible because all we do is upsell upsell upsell! Like I said, we have great competitors and people know it. Blackbaud branded itself as the biggest and most expensive product and even with "budget friendly options" it's still the most expensive out there and still looks like it's from 1985. See the value of your employees who want to stay there and pay them what they're worth and work on creating more up-to-date products.

Advice to Management

Our management gets handed by their higher ups so it is not their fault how bad they micromanage but the scare tactic has to stop!

"Good Company ... Low Pay"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Work Atmosphere
    Have the opportunity to make a difference
    Room to Grow

Cons

Pay is not on par with industry standard... Goals go up every year however commission portion of on target earnings never goes up unless you accept a different job.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your employees don't just be an order taker.