Blackbaud Reviews | Glassdoor

Blackbaud Reviews

Updated June 30, 2017

Michael Gianoni

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Cares about Employees and work life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Amazing sense of purpose - helping non profits fund raise better (in 78 reviews)

Cons

"Not the Blackbaud it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great and make it worth the stress. Vacation which is much needed. The cafe is great. Starbucks is a nice thing to have.

Cons

Just keep acquiring more and more companies yet can't pay employees what they are worth or match the cost of living in the area. We have the highest paid CEO in the state with some of the lowest paid employees in a public company in SC. Very much micromanaged and every position I see. The company is all over the place trying to merge two huge sectors of the company. Employees are always left in the dark about what is going on and have to constantly a dad with the change that's not for the better. Territories are being cut, therefore pay is being cut, and quotas are still the same. More people have left Flock bought in the past 2 to 3 years than ever before. Companies around the area are waiting to poach their employees because they know they're worth and will pay them more. Managers always telling you to take shorter breaks or not take breaks to hit an unattainable quota. Our products are old and are not keeping up with newer and less expensive competitors. All the companies that we acquire have beautiful products but they don't fit in with our Citrix based flagship blackbaud products. Customer retention is terrible because all we do is upsell upsell upsell! Like I said, we have great competitors and people know it. Blackbaud branded itself as the biggest and most expensive product and even with "budget friendly options" it's still the most expensive out there and still looks like it's from 1985. See the value of your employees who want to stay there and pay them what they're worth and work on creating more up-to-date products.

Advice to Management

Our management gets handed by their higher ups so it is not their fault how bad they micromanage but the scare tactic has to stop!

"Good Company ... Low Pay"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Work Atmosphere
    Have the opportunity to make a difference
    Room to Grow

Cons

Pay is not on par with industry standard... Goals go up every year however commission portion of on target earnings never goes up unless you accept a different job.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your employees don't just be an order taker.

"Frequent and sudden layoffs. Corporate I.T. slow to respond to requests."

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers.
    Work/life balance is good.
    Able to work remotely.
    Decent PTO and medical benefits.

Cons

HR likes to churn and burn. The longer you've been at Blackbaud, the more likely you are to get let go with little or no notice. Better for the bottom line to let older employees go and bring in younger recent college graduates. Well, this is the norm in a lot of tech companies, not just Blackbaud.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for long-term loyal employees. The high tech industry is always (falsely) screaming about a shortage of engineers and developers, yet there is no loyalty to employees.

"Be very, very careful"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people are genuinely great and really care what they're working on.
    - Your work helps non-profits, which feels incredible.
    - The benefits are pretty nice
    - The vacation is awesome

Cons

- The pay is not competitive at all
    - The company acts like working for them is the best thing you could ever do and subsequently don't work at all to keep you there
    - Software managers are promoted because they're good at developing, not because they're good at managing. Many of the managers are terrible managers. Good managers always leave for another company.
    - Developers use an internal spec system designed for non-technical customers instead of actually coding in some places. This kills development skills and makes it super hard to work elsewhere if you stay too long
    - It is re-org central. I know of plenty of people who have had 5+ managers in only a few years. I never had a manager do more than one review.
    - Promotion seems more based on favoritism than actual skill.
    - Managers are weirdly resistant to promotion (or even talks of promotion), even with positions that are not considered career level.
    - Managers claim to want to help you progress but also value "on the job training," which mostly translates to no help at all.
    - There is a sketchy lack of women managers in engineering and very few women developers. Most I've talked to did not feel welcomed and either changed positions or left the company.
    - Remote employees might as well not exist for all the attention they're given.

Advice to Management

- Stop promoting great developers to management positions. It hurts everyone.
    - Move some of the engineering managers back into development roles before more people quit.
    - Try to keep managers with employees for longer OR force former/current managers to do reviews together. No more "Well I haven't managed you for that long so I don't know your abilities." The last manager is IN THE SAME BUILDING. Ask him.
    - Support employees trying to learn new skills.
    - Make the pay competitive.
    - Work on feedback. It is possible to acknowledge growth while also indicating areas for improvement
    - Take a good, hard look at potential discrimination in hiring and promotion practices.

5. "Awesome Company"

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Blackbaud is a great company to work for. I've been here for over six years and have enjoyed it thoroughly. The culture is laid-back, managers have your best interests in mind, and the people who work become your best friends.

Cons

Coming by a promotion or raise can be hard and scarce. While managers are there to help, it's really up to you to ask for those things.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent.

6. "Associate Account Manager"

I worked at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

It's pretty special to work with non-profits. Great people.

Cons

Blackbaud is a for profit company. Sometimes that can feel conflicting since profits are being made at the expense of non-profits.

"Ok company"

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, decent benefits, 2-year 401k vesting

Cons

Beneath market rate compensation and limited advancement opportunities

"Enterprise Management Group"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Clients are great! Gym and café onsite.

Cons

Reorganizations have caused a lot of problems. New sales compensation plans are disturbing!

Advice to Management

Be nimble enough to change when something isn't working, but don't reorganize just because we have new leadership.

"Sales"

I worked at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Fantastic Customers
    Drive technology for Social Good

Cons

Decline in competitive compensation
    Decline in the investment for Enterprise Customers
    Declining culture

"NA"

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

They provide very good paid time off.

Cons

They are constantly changing the model for support, which frustrates both clients and support analysts