Blackbaud "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Blackbaud Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 7, 2019

3.7
Blackbaud President and CEO Michael Gianoni (no image)
Michael Gianoni
Pros
  • "Pros are helping non-profits serve their missions and getting to work with lots of other employees that are here for the same reasons(in 101 reviews)

• "Overall very good work life balance(in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • "I basically had to come to Charleston straight from school(in 51 reviews)

• "Recent lay-offs, upper management appears to make decisions in silos(in 28 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Challenging and rewarding work"

Current Employee - Finance in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Blackbaud's customers are changing the world. The company has transitioned to the cloud (SaaS) which is a dynamic, fast paced, and exciting industry. Headquartered in Charleston, SC which is a top rated city to live and the new facilities are top notch. Employees are highly collaborative and overall a great group of people to work with. Finance is a large organization and has become a promote from within culture which has offered upward mobility and career opportunity for many. Solid benefits and generous PTO compared to most companies. Overall very good work life balance. The most rewarding job I've had in my career. Would highly recommend to others.

Cons

An ever changing and dynamic environment isn't for everyone. Necessary that you can adapt to shifting priorities and objectives. Fairly broad and complex for a mid-size company. Matrixed organizational structure requires strong collaboration and clear objectives cross-company. Not a born in the cloud SaaS company which comes with legacy challenges to work through.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and continue to incorporate feedback from both employees and customers with a focus on the long-term.

Blackbaud2019-09-17

"Great Place to Work (for Introverts)"

Former Employee - Service Delivery Associate II in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasonable pay, excellent management in Target Analytics, excellent work-life balance. Target Analytics managers were very accommodating and tried to make each job fulfilling and engaging for employees (even if the work was inherently repetitive or boring). Beautiful office buildings and lots of fun perks like free snacks. kombucha, ping pong tables, a game room, gym, and cafeteria.

Cons

Work environment is surprisingly unfriendly. Many coworkers do no talk to each other and there is often little participation in events. The office was often quiet and isolating. Also, many teams are not flexible and managers are unaccommodating. It really depends what team you are on.

Blackbaud2019-11-07

"Good company, Great mission!"

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission and I do feel like we eat and breathe it here. Great work/life balance. Work with very smart people. Good culture. Very relaxed working environment. Generous PTO from the start. Encouraged to volunteer, hours spent volunteering can add to your PTO. HQ is beautiful along with onsite Cafeteria. Good 401k match as well.

Cons

Health Benefits could be cheaper, especially for families. Sometimes constant shifting of team members and management between teams does more bad then good. Taking away the ability to work remote.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They were hired for a reason. Very smart people employed here, let them help make a difference.

Blackbaud2018-12-10

"Good company to work for as a software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working here for a while as a software engineer and have really enjoyed it so far. Very smart people work here Modern Microsoft tech stack Work life balance — cannot stress this enough WFH as needed Ping pong tables PTO is decent (4 weeks starting out) Fresh fruit a couple times a week Good coffee machines Good facility to work in Good bathrooms Bagels on Tuesdays

Cons

401K match isn't great (up to 3% of your salary). I feel this should be a lot more, at least 5%. Healthcare is expensive (regardless of the option that you choose) Annual raises are nothing exceptional Education reimbursement isn't very good (I think up to 3K a year)

Advice to Management

Increase the 401K contribution Increase the PTO Increase the education/certification reimbursement amounts

Blackbaud2019-10-02
  5. "Great Culture to Work in!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than a year

Pros

Blackbaud has wonderful benefits, and tends to hire individuals who value the person in front of them as much as the bottom line. I have met some truly wonderful people here. I enjoy the understanding of work/life balance, and at this point I enjoy my office life.

Cons

There is not a consistent experience at the company within departments.

Advice to Management

Ensure all departments are carrying the wonderful values of Blackbaud with them. We work as One, we expect the best, all of it. Every employee should feel valued at such a great company, and though I do believe most do, some departments know they are lacking in this area and it causes bitterness and higher turnover.

Blackbaud2019-05-30
  6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than a year

Pros

Blackbaud is so much better than any place I've worked before. They have a generous PTO policy, benefits, and a great development program for employees just entering the workforce.

Cons

Work life balance is usually really great; sometimes it can be stressful when projects are due in a short amount of time, but that is rare.

Blackbaud2019-05-29

"Best job I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere, the work/life balance, the benefits are all great things this company has to offer! Everyone I have come to know are just wonderful people that are passionate about what they do and the impact they are making. I love what we stand for and our mission and vision. The leadership team is always striving to make us better, more diverse, and more engaged.

Cons

We need manager training! The managers aren't bad from my experience they just need training and to be held accountable. We need better communication from the top down and more engagement from the managers. Lead by example.

Blackbaud2019-05-21

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As a whole for me the biggest pro is the mission of the company itself. I have been at Blackbaud for over 12.5 years and what we do was a big part of why I wanted to work here. I believe that as a company they strive to ensure a good work-life balance for the employees and a welcoming work environment. Volunteering in the community is strongly encouraged.

Cons

Recent lay-offs, upper management appears to make decisions in silos.

Blackbaud2019-05-07

"Innovative Tech Company Serving the Social Good Community"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-People and Culture -Personal fulfillment by working to help non-profits make the world a better place -International company HQ'd in beautiful Charleston, SC -Invested in employee's success -Excellent work/life balance

Cons

-Interdepartmental communication could improve in some areas

Blackbaud2019-05-08

"Good people, great customers, great work-life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Positive Leadership - I've been here 3 years and have overall found the leadership to be authentic in their desire both to create a positive workplace for employees and deliver value to the "social good ecosystem". I have been encouraged to take initiative around areas of potential improvement and/or new opportunity and supported in those initiatives. - Women-Friendly - The senior management of the company (global management team) is approximately half women, which is unusual at a software company. Internal initiatives encourage networking & mentorship. - Work-Life-Balance - Speaking only for the Charleston office, many employees keep school-friendly hours, e.g. 7-3. Employees are not expected to work crazy hours and/or weekends, though going the extra mile is appreciated. - Wonderful Customers - Blackbaud works with >40K "social good" organizations including nonprofits, healthcare, K-12, higher ed, and grantmakers. By and large, the customers are not only doing good work, but a delight to work with -- and open to collaboration beyond 'buy this and use it.' - Gorgeous Location - The HQ in Charleston is lovely & Daniel Island itself is a wonderful place to locate. It's bikeable, schools are great, feels like vacation every day. Beaches are just 15-min away! - Great Colleagues - I genuinely respect and like pretty much everyone I've worked with at Blackbaud, which numbers in the dozens for close colleagues after 3 years. People are accessible, eager to collaborate, generally intelligent and kind.

Cons

- Tech Debt - Growth by acquisition over a 30-year period has its down sides. Still a challenge to manage and modernize a sprawling product portfolio. - Decision by Committee - It can be slow and challenging to move projects forward when there are often many stakeholders and unclear decision making authority.

Blackbaud2019-04-30